1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Boris Johnson's death sentence

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by hash tag, Nov 7, 2017.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Is this the first petition against Johnson, the first in support of Nazanin?
    Can't help feeling there have been previous petitions asking the government to do more to support her.
    still not gone then :facepalm:

2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

3. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Not sure that Jonathan Freedland's analysis is worth the paper it's written on tbh. When was he last right about anything? We can safely assume Johnson is toast...

J Ed likes this.
  4. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

How? He's offered to have a journalist beaten, mocked the Libyan dead, insulted a dozen world leaders and spunked £30m on a rough sketch of a bridge. Why do you think that the latest evidence of his unsuitability for office is the nail in the coffin?

5. killer b

because Jonathan Freedland said he isn't.

6. Silas Loom

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

most coffins have more than one nail in, chuck

Badgers and Poi E like this.
  8. Pickman's model

i daresay that the output of iranian state television is more closely controlled than the output of uk state tv

can't imagine iranian state tv reporting that the supreme leader had had millions of pounds invested in an off-shore tax haven for example

Badgers likes this.
  9. steveo87

steveo87 Procrastinating for....a while

Plus it's Boris Johnson, like rain in winter or genital herpes, he just keeps coming back.

Well until you lance the fucker.

10. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Amazing. Two government ministers giving political capital to Israel and Iran.

tim likes this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

It was good to see this being given so much prominence last night and even Kirsty said Johnson should go over this.
    Will it make any difference?

12. Pickman's model

Indonesia, Iraq, India, Iceland, Ireland and Italy are all waiting for their gift of political capital

Badgers likes this.
  13. Pickman's model

No. He'll wark when he wants to

Badgers likes this.
  14. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I’m not versed in diplomatic ways but I’ve seen enough movies to know how the bad governments always lock up journalists cos they think they’re spies.

15. Silas Loom

It should be possible for a vote of no confidence in Johnson to be proposed in Westminster. Would May whip her MPs to defend it, or would she demand they abstain, as with recent opposition motions? And if the procedural trick (the humble address, IIRC) used for demanding the 58 imaginary impact assessments was used, would Johnson be in contempt of the house if he failed to walk? Would a VONC in a Cabinet minister be a VONC in the government under the terms of the FTPA?

Anyone have any ideas?

16. killer b

On this, no: the FTPA VONC has a very specific procedure which needs to be followed.

17. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I am sure that he still has ambitions for No. 10, but not until after brexit or maybe next election.....be afraid, be very afraid.....

18. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

We were assured by many remainers that the second the brexit vote was won be would be would be walking into the job within a few months, if not weeks.

19. Silas Loom

A lie bizarre and nonsensical enough to be written on a bus; there was little talk of succession to Cameron before the vote, because he insisted that he would stay on whatever the outcome.

20. killer b

Why are we to be very afraid of Boris Johnson? There's a load of tory MPs who're far more dangerous.

21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

There are many nasty people in the tory party but not all are so gaff prone as Johnson. How much money did he waste a mayor, £130M or so?
    Think what he could do as PM (yes I know it's the chancellors job, but PM has overall say).

22. Pickman's model

Yeh. I see you don't do puns, chuck

Badgers likes this.
  23. Silas Loom

The Standard quotes government sources as saying that Johnson's "job is on the line" if Zaghari-Ratcliffe's sentence is extended. Could be Osborne flying a kite, but interesting.

24. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

i think it has the potential to bring him down - the individual human interest bit is what might make the story catch fire with the public - in a way that crass remarks about libya or going offscript on brexit wouldn't. I actually think the petition might do some good if it helps add to the shit storm if/when that poor women gets her sentence extended because of his cuntery.

25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

26. Jeremiah18.17

Jeremiah18.17 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, after the FO denied that Boris had ever met Papadopoulos’ middle man with Russian Connections - “the London Professor” and “Maltese diplomat” Mifsud, pictures have emerged of him with Mifsud and a Tory Party founder, both of whom are linked to the Russian contact described as “Putin’s niece”. Murkier and murkier....
    Observer story
    Boris Johnson met ‘London professor’ linked to FBI’s Russia investigation

27. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

As much as I want to see this poltroon fucked over, that article is well weak.

WRT to Iran, things are a bit ropey of late- there is no doubt that this is a political conviction, no doubt. The FO and The Diplomats need to ( and are) work to see what can be done here to ease the tensions. Johnson must not be let off the leash in his looming visit, he needs to be tightly marked to ensure he doesnt fuck this up.

teqniq likes this.
  28. Voley

Voley Peaceful Oat Goblin

Poi E, hash tag and Badgers like this.
  29. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes