1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National League 2016/17

Discussion in 'football' started by JimW, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I don't doubt they were. TBH if you assume whoever is running any given sports body is a greedy incompetent wanker you won't go too far wrong from what I can see.

What was the crowd for that game btw?

belboid and 1927 like this.
  2. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

47,000. Think a lot of the more casual day trippers from both sides were put off by the price

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Yeah exactly. That's a good crowd but it would be much better to have 65-70 surely. And this year's won't get within a mile of that - FGR or DAR won't bring many at all.

4. JTG

Grimsby were suffering a bit of play off/Wembley fatigue by then and probably had around 15,000. We maybe had 27,000 or so (quite a few neutrals who of course all got cheap tickets for a tenner I think). Contrast that with the 40,000 we took in 2007. OK, circs had changed and that year was the first of the new Wembley so of course we had loads but plenty of people - even regular and semi-regular attendees - baulked at the price and stayed at home.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  5. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I hate the vacuous commercial operation that is Wembley (especially the crap overpriced food on offer, England's national stadium offering healthy eating - NOT) but am going there for the FA Trophy final in a couple of weeks.

There were lots of rumours that it will be a wake :(:eek::D and I don't expect to see a big contingent from York but some of us are seeing it as the start of a positive move forward (accept it and move on, get behind the team to make a quick return to the National League) especially as Gary Mills has signed a new contact. :thumbs:

At the very least it will be great to see my bro and nephews, who I don't see nearly enough, confirming that football is a great family day out if nothing else (even if Macclesfield thump us 3-0 or worse).

Tickets were £21.

JimW and Lazy Llama like this.
  6. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Well we don't do anything the easy way. Fair play to Aldershot who did make a go of it and pushed us to the end until Norwood got our second . Now all I need to do is purchase a ticket on Monday from the Wembley website #money_grabbing_b**tards# .

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Slow start and Daggers the brighter but great work by Woolery down the right let him put Doidge in then cracker from KMB just before the half killed them off really, though easy to say with hindsight and 2-0 always a bit nervy.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Ok see tickets are available already. We get a singing section but you don't. Not sure who got the better deal out of that one

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Probably because we'll all fit in the one anyway :D (though we did have one last year). Be warned, we've got the lucky end this year.

10. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Saw that we'd got a singing section, wonder if they have ever heard our fans :facepalm: but we do have a couple of drummers and a bugle player who have been building up their repertoire in the last few months. Ticket bought so roll on next Sunday.

11. JTG

I came on this thread to wish you luck but after reading this I don't think I'll bother now

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Feeling quite good about tomorrow. Tranmere rightly favourites but there's enough in this team to give it a good old go. Think we'll be outnumbered more than four to one in the stands.

13. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

:thumbs:

Sea Lion likes this.
  14. oryx

Well done FGR!

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Thanks! Took our goals well but if Tranmere had buried their decent chances and took advantage of our goalie Sam Russell cocking up an attempt to nutmeg an onrushing forward might have been a different story. We shithoused around in the second half which was a bit embarrassing but understandable and on balance probably deserved it. Now we have a whole new league of teams to hate us! Tranmere will be up there very soon too I reckon (probably pass them on our way back down)

16. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Just got home from an almost internetless Cuba, so only just seen the result. After three fags I can now bring myself to say well done. You bastards. Sounds like you deserved it and we just blew our chances. Still, we should still be good for next season, as long as we keep hold of Micky.

And you lot don't get Jeremy Corbyn coming to speak at your ground, eh, eh?
    Watch Jeremy Corbyn's incredible rock star reception at Wirral Live

17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

He is quite matey with Dale Vince and our old MP/PPC Dave Drew who is on the board so he's actually promised to come and watch a game when he was in town last year launching some work strategy at the wind turbine makers we share a site with.
    Third goal sealed it really just before the half so while everyone else was nervous and you came close a few times I had the odd feeling of being pretty sure of the win for the whole final 45. Having made the loser's trek home after the previous year did feel for your supporters after.

18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Great first half in the Trophy final, York will be disappointed to concede that equaliser so late but Macc had been on top for long spells so deserved I think.

oryx likes this.
  19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Well done York! Winner slightly against the run of play but Macc never really threatened after that. Bet big Jon isn't too chuffed with Connolly nicking his goal, though right to follow it in of course.

oryx likes this.
  20. oryx

Great day out. Annoyingly I posted a reply to your post at 5.05 which didn't go through as no coverage in the stadium!

Yes, Macclesfield were slightly the better side, and must have been a bit miffed - but as my bro said, we'd happily trade the Trophy for their position in the league so no gloating.

And yes - a lot of people thought Connolly's goal should have been credited to Jon 'The Beast' Parkin!

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards. If we play like this next season we should be contenders but it is a tough league to get out of - only one team go up automatically. :eek:

JimW likes this.