1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National League 2016/17

Discussion in 'football' started by JimW, Jul 13, 2016.

1. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

That time of year again, we've got our second pre-season friendly tonight so I'll get a look at the new signings and new manager. Rhys Taylor seems a good investment, Christian Doidge also saw good things written. Supposedly got a second bid in for Matt Tubbs too. Some decent up-and-coming youth brought in too plus a wildcard French bloke.
    Tranmere look to have strengthened well, not sure about the rest, Wrexham have Rooney off Chester now I believe, not sure who else.
    This will surely be the year we finally romp it. We've bought this league several years running but have yet to be allowed to keep it.

2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

We only lost 1-0 to a reasonable strong (if ambivalent) Liverpool team.

Trying to think who we've brought in, other than Connor Jenkins from Wrexham. Kept the squad that finished quite well pretty much together tho, so....fuck knows

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Tubbs has signed and apparently will play tonight.

4. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Mid table for Woking again?

5. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Enjoyed that, beat Cardiff 3-1. Set up three at the back and looked all at sea for first ten minutes and Cardiff soon scored. New lad Traore was everywhere, bags of energy and rarely put a pass wrong. He got pulled down in the box but Doidge hit pen straight at their keeper. Then same happened to Moore and.he scored.his.
    Second half saw Pinnock come on left side.of midfield and Hamlet fans will not be surprised that he did well. Tubbs on too and he curled in a cracker. Seemed to have got the hang of the system and even started to dominate possession. Third goal lovely team move on the break, sweeping pass, low cross and a tap-in for Meyhew. If we keep this up might enjoy this season.

6. Sea Lion

Sea Lion If you can't dance just nod your head

Tubbs should score a few goals for you,he's a good player.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Apparently he averages a goal every other game. Supposed to be coming back from injury and didn't have much joy at eastleigh but looked in fine fettle.

Sea Lion likes this.
  8. Sea Lion

I watched him on occasions at Wimbledon he is clever with a good work ethic.

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Seems to be something coopers looked for in his signings, hard workers.

Sea Lion likes this.
  10. Sea Lion

I have always looked out for Forest Greens results and hope you go up.One thing-why did your home form go awry from March onwards?

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

To my mind a combination of a bit of a false position with a fair slice of luck in the better form earlier, couple of injuries, getting found out and Ady P having no plan B plus maybe starting to lose the dressing room.

12. Sea Lion

An honest assessment.:)

13. belboid

mm, most of our nearby fixtures on a bloody weeknight, bugger. A christmas trip to Lincoln looks on the cards again, tho. And we have Macclesfield on Boxing Day AND New Years Day, again. Seems a bit odd.

14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Didn't fare so well against Birmingham, beaten 3-0. Wasn't a shocking performance but we didn't seem able to create chances. New midfielder did.ok on first outing and Marsh-Brown had a few lazy minutes again coming back after his knee op over the summer.

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Handsome nine one win for our last pre-season at Brimscombe and Thrupp, and the Lilywhites goal was a soft pen. New boys settling well, Noble got a couple and.Pinnock continues to impress, albeit with the odd loose moment.
    ETA Not the last, how could I forget the visit of mighty Newport Saturday?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  16. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Beat Newport too but only after a couple of shaky bits of defending let them in. Tubbs and Chemlal excellent second.half though and won it 4-3 in the end.

17. Ungrateful

Ungrateful Tired and Weary

Southport's annual battle for the heady heights of 20th place, should begin with an unusual sense of optimism having just thrashed Everton* 3-1 at Haig Avenue Merseyrail Community Stadium. Quite an improvement on other pre-season games including losing to tier ten Northern league team Ashton Town.

* Okay, it was an Everton XI made up of under 21s, under 18s, triallists and a fat bloke in an Everton top their coach picked up on their way to the ground.

18. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I'm a bit out of touch these days but (for once) there's some quiet optimism on the Lincoln forums. We've poached Braintree's management team - third last year with a PT team - and made some decent looking signings. We'll see but certainly the expectation is better than the recent lower mid table finishes.

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

You do seem to have recruited well and eastleigh have splashed the cash in FGR-like amounts too. Barrow, Wrexham and Tranmere also seem quite together though not read much optimistic about the sides coming down from the league.
    I've booked my seat on the coach for our opening goal-fest at Borehamwood. Just hope that's going in the right net.

20. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Christ, what a shocker. Three or four wouldn't have flattered Boreham Wood. Not that they were great, tidy and fit but nothing we did worked. Expected a back three to be leaky but the compensation was supposed to be plenty up front but can't think of more than two chances we created. So much for the promising pre-season.

21. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Two goals for Norwood against Bromley. We had a decent first half but the second half could have gone either way. Good support from the travelling Super White Army but one fan dressed as a hot dog raced onto the pitch to then get himself carted off by the Met's finest.

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

A 3-1 away win. Great start. Maybe there's some justification in the optimism this time...

23. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Followed up with a 6 1 win tonight.:eek:

24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

We stuttered to a one all draw at home to Sutton. Started well but this idea we'd dominate the ball with the new system isn't happening. Sutton going in hard but not ridiculous and we looked open at the back several times again. Theirs looked definite pen Russell got a hand to and they had a few other decent efforts too.
    At least Boreham Wood thumping Dover made Saturday look slightly less dire.

25. belboid

It'll never last!

2-0 for us again, Norwood only getting one this game. Solid start, I'll have that.

26. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Probably not! I don't think the two teams we've played are particularly strong to be honest so there'll be much tougher games to come. Still beating shit teams is a big step up from being the shit team which has been the case for what, about a decade or so.

27. Ungrateful

Ungrateful Tired and Weary

Two 0-3 defeats for 'Port. Having circled the drain for years, it looks like we'll be in the Conference North next season. At least the club's Chairman will be pleased.

28. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

A win at last! Wasn't at all hopeful going into this with Gateshead's form but we were bright if over-elaborate and largely dominated, though the Heed had their chances. Couldn't fashion a winner though until in added time a Bennett cross drifted into the angle of post and bar and went in. Spawny as you like but that'll do me.

29. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

A late winner against Eastleigh just when most folk were thinking a 1 - 1 draw wasn"t too bad considering that Norwood managed to miss a penalty. Now sitting top of the league.

30. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Four wins on the trot.