1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Gallery exhibitions, visits, chat

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jun 1, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Dearie me. :facepalm:

2. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

Let's get the thread back to where it should be.

I have just bought a large canvas, paints, brushes and lots of booze and fags. I'm having a day off.

The more I look at this guys work I am convinced he worked from B&W photographs. The composition, lighting and use of white is too photographic. I am going to spend the day painting a scene in Placa des Parc. Initially painting in the light and composition in black, then finishing off with my own extreme expressionist colours. Using just a tube of red, yellow, blue and white (I'll make my own sort of black).

If my client pays me in time I will buy a camera and document work in progress, but I am itching with an excited mind - I need a painting release and the people of Ibiza have yet to see what I can do with colour.

Fun, fun, fun. Might even get lucky and sell it. If not, it hits the bin!

clicker, Sweet Meiga and editor like this.
  4. Stanley Edwards

OK. I've stopped where I am. Started in black (with a marker) filling in blocks of black and shading, then went with intense colour. My plan from here was to tone it all down a little with white washes, but I like it as it is. Something about those blocks of white changes all the rules and I don't understand why. Going to offer it to the bar featured tomorrow. Not sure this pic does the painting justice, but I really like it. Something about the empty seats bottom right inviting you...

placa2.JPG

Trees are blue becuase I didn't know what else to do with the blue paint ;)

5. Stanley Edwards

Looks like this has found a home at Bar Union. €20 and a day of fun converted into a nice new little camera. This is how you do it - don't get too proud about your prices. Too many artists insist they are not going to sell for less than €1000. €1000 for a days work and a load of fun! Are you serious? Personally, I think they price themselves out of the market knowingly. Some may get lucky from Mummy and Daddy's rich mates patronage (I would have no trouble accepting it if it was an option - it isn't), but you have to be realistic if you want to live on your art income. Clean toilets for a living and die happily knowing your art will be worth more, or summat :confused: Not really sure what these people get out of it. I get a fantastic life travelling everywhere.

Bonus! An existing client saw the painting, so Monday we are meeting up to choose a scene to paint at a much better profit.

On a completely different note; I woke at about 11AM on a bench this morning. Half empty bottle of wine next to me. Thankfully, my mates at port security made sure nobody ran off with all my stuff. MUST BE MORE CAREFUL!!! Proper artist living innit :D

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus