National archive 'lose' 'sensitive documents'

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by J Ed, Dec 26, 2017.

1. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

Government admits 'losing' thousands of papers from National Archives

2. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

This is just.... aaargh. Rage

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Perhaps stealing and destroying would more accurately capture the process

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Hard to tell the extent of this, because of this bit in the middle of article

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Well, they could always claim the "missing documents" were "misfiled" and have them mysteriously re-appear.
    It would not be the first time such a thing has happened, nor will it be the last.

Sasaferrato and equationgirl like this.
  6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Probably just due to the files being put in cupboards or whatever, and no-one knows where they are. This must happen in every organisation that handles large volumes of paperwork.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Just another day muddling through at the National Archives...

Bahnhof Strasse and Badgers like this.
  8. farmerbarleymow

The National Archives probably lose stuff all the time too.

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Sounds like it's part of the mission

The Pale King, redsquirrel and Slo-mo like this.
  10. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

That the documents that show the current leaders in the worst light are the ones that happen to be mislaid?

11. farmerbarleymow

It's always possible that the files were lost deliberately, but I think bog-standard incompetence is the most likely explanation.

12. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Happens in mine because people put stuff into archive storage without a) making a list of the box contents and b) helpfully filing the box as 'miscellaneous'. We've literally thousands of boxes with unspecified contents.

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I was once interviewed for a job, most of which was "sorting out the archives" precisely because of this attitude. I didn't get the job, luckily, as the boss was a nightmare to work for anyway and he thought he knew how the archives department should be run ...

likesfish likes this.
  14. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I'm not buying incompetence. Any more than this was incompetence

you can get away with a lot under the cover of incompetence. Of course the zinoviev letters gone. Proof that the conservative inclined intelligence forces and class allies at the mail conspired to manipulate the electorate and thwart a labour government. Well we can't have that. Send it to where all the files on MPeeds from the 70s went...

15. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

They certainly used to have stuff stolen all the time. Their filing system is great, but their internal security still sucks dog cock. Any historian with an agenda used to be able to walk in, order a file, then spend a day studying it (and pocketing anything that didn't fit their thesis).

likesfish and equationgirl like this.
  16. ViolentPanda

...to MI5's own archive.

mr steev and likesfish like this.
  17. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Why the fuck are they even handing out the original documents? If someone wants to see the original documents, they should only be able to do so on the premises, under supervision, and with every file or document so viewed noted down in a logbook and signed for by both an attending member of NA staff, as well by the viewer after providing identification. At least that way if a document does get "mislaid" it will be easier to find the culprit and kick them in the balls repeatedly.

If someone wants something to take home, then why is it not standard procedure for staff to make photocopies for the purpose?

18. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

How long do you think that might take?

19. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Probably nowhere near as long as it would take to recover "lost" documents. Besides, this isnt emergency surgery so it's not as if a delay is going to really hurt anyone.

20. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

There used to be an actual archivist until maybe 15 years ago, then he retired and was never replaced. I don't know exactly when items started to be stored in the archives, but I would estimate sometime in the 1980s. Over the years, with the loss of proper storage in the offices, and various changes in product lines, plus forays in microfilm etc, the archives are a mess.

Occasionally somebody says 'let's get everything out of archives, and go through it'. They usually get sent the standard two page essay detailing why that is a shit idea in practice, and it's not mentioned again for a few years.

21. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Four days earlier the Daily Mail reports that the National Archive apologised for display that showed Empire building in a bad light. Partition wasn't so bad, either, apparently. The historical revisionism of the British state continues apace.

22. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

Kincora file held back. :hmm:

J Ed likes this.
  23. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

went on a rampage and oppressed 2/3rds of the world's population slightly more if you count the unofficial empire put everybody else's attempts rest of Europe, Japan, USA, various African empires the Incas and Aztecs etc in the Shade. We won at grand theft planet didn't make it right or nice though. When the SS think you had the right idea for dealing with non-white people :facepalm:

24. ViolentPanda

It won't be released for at least another 50 years. The state doesn't want to admit that it sold the arses of boys to garner political favour.

25. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

likesfish likes this.
  26. Sasaferrato

I wouldn't like to be in charge in charge of that organisation. Depending on what they are, documents have different disclosure dates, and destruction dates, keeping track must be a nightmare. The answer would be to digitise everything, but what a task.

27. Sasaferrato

Anyone who has worked in any branch of the Civil Service would agree with you.

28. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

The wider issue is how is the state allowed to suppress shit that doesn’t threaten security, but merely makes them look like the cunts they are? Why are we so accepting of this shit?

instape and Badgers like this.