NASA's New Horizons: The First Mission to the Pluto System and the Kuiper Belt

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by frogwoman, Oct 9, 2014.

1. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

2. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

I wonder if Pluto will be reclassified as a planet in time for New Horizon's arrival?

frogwoman likes this.
  3. frogwoman

Am I the only one that's excited about this? We really don't know what we will find out there. I think it is incredible that a spacecraft is going so far into the distance.

4. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagulls and wasps are brilliant!

All space exploration is great, although I don't know much about this one beyond that it's going to Pluto. :oops:

I think there seems to be a fair few on the go at the moment it is difficult to keep an eye on them all. The comet one is the one I'm watching at the moment. :)

Greebo likes this.
  5. frogwoman

didn't know about that one, what is it?

An American friend told me that Nasa was being privatised. Is there any truth to that?

6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagulls and wasps are brilliant!

I think the comet chaser is called Rosetta. Or that might be another one - I'm easily confused with names! :D

frogwoman likes this.
  7. 2hats

2hats

New Horizons is closing on Pluto (arrival July 2015) and should awaken from cruise hibernation tonight to begin a programme of observations as it closes in. Currently it's just over 2.9 billion miles from Earth and 160 million miles from Pluto:

[​IMG]

Confirmation of wake up should arrive around at Earth 0230UTC tomorrow. Live coverage of that here from 0200UTC:

Greebo likes this.
  8. 2hats

2hats

New Horizons woke up on time and is ready to start exploring Pluto:

Greebo and CNT36 like this.
  9. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Flipping heck. It's only just dawned on me we're so close to the sun. :eek:

:oops:

10. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

Yep its only 8 minutes and 20 seconds away

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Just as well it's only making as much heat as a compost heap - albeit one a million times the volume of the Earth.

12. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

Not really. It was demoted for pretty good reasons once we started finding Kuiper bodies. We needed a classification criteria and Pluto failed the ones we came up with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

13. 2hats

2hats

90 days from closest approach and the first colour image of Pluto and Charon (taken from 115 million km - which is 3/4 of the Earth-Sun distance):

[​IMG]

14. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

What depressing cunt called it Charon?

15. 2hats

2hats

The USNO astronomer that discovered it - James Christy, supposedly a play on his wife's nickname. Lot's more on that here.

16. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Charon's an entirely appropriate name for a satellite of Pluto. They try to use mythologically-associated names.

17. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Long but very interesting interview with Alan Stern, a bit of an expert on New Horizons. He also trashes the decision to downgrade Pluto's status.

http://www.astronomy.com/magazine/s...ast/2015/03/alan-stern-new-horizons-and-pluto

One bit in particular blew my mind - the level of detail we've had of Pluto's surface up til now is such that if it were the Earth, North America wouldn't be visible. New Horizons is going to be able to show so much more detail that again if it were Earth it would be possible to count the lakes in Central Park.

18. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I know but the idea that after that point, its the land of the dead is vaugely troubling to me. I have nomenclature issues

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Quartz likes this.
  19. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

The idea that the land of the dead lies just beyond Pluto is a lot less troubling than Chris de Burgh.

xenon, prunus and farmerbarleymow like this.
  20. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Quartz likes this.
  21. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Whatever it is, it's going to be fascinating to see it revealed over the next few months.

22. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Can't wait until there are decent high-res images of Pluto.

frogwoman, camouflage and Quartz like this.
  23. 2hats

2hats

55 million miles out and the faintest known moons of Pluto have been picked up...
    [​IMG]

frogwoman and wayward bob like this.
  24. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

Greebo and frogwoman like this.
  25. frogwoman

26. frogwoman

This is great, really looking forward to it :)

27. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

Pluto has more moons that earth? That's not politically correct.

28. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

This is what we have so far, taken on 19th June:

[​IMG]

Greebo, S☼I and Quartz like this.
  29. getsleep

getsleep Banned Banned

Crazy but really really fascinatiing in that kind of way!

30. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Greebo likes this.