1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myatt's Fields Park, south London - chat, photos and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by liberty, Nov 29, 2005.

1. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

its a great little place :) one of my locals and one of my favourites

2. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

:cool: @ the park threads.

one more for the list! I actually noticed the entrance to Ruskin the other day :D

3. paulet

paulet New Member

4. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

thats cool, ive never noticed the paddling pool thing!
    they are supposed to be jazzing the place up arent tehy? redisigning and building a new one o'clock club and playground, even a good two years and although the were awarded some funding it doesnt seem to be happening.

5. appregator

appregator New Member

Really nice park. The all weather football pitch is nice too, or at least it was. Used to take my little brothers there on a sunday morning tons of people would go. Then a drug dealer saying he was gonna shoot people :(

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Onket and SarfLondoner like this.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

How's the albino squirrel doing?

9. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

He's a crack head now I'm afraid.

10. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Gentrification! Not so long ago Myatts Fields was fairly run down and un-loved, but people got together and changed it. Perhaps money from grants/ council, but usually it's the hard work from the people living near by and others who can make a real difference.

11. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

The park was given £3.5m from the lottery including a contribution from the council about 5 years ago. At the time I was sceptical about how such a large amount of money would be spent, but it's good. There's a brilliant new kids play area with water fountains, play equipment and kids-only toilets. There are new eco toilets for adults on the other side of the park. All the railings and edgings have been redone. The 5 a side football pitch has been resurfaced with new fencing around it. The bandstand and greenhouse have been renovated. The little cafe has been reopened. Community greenhouses are up and running and a Park Manager has been employed to arrange events (mostly stuff for kids and older people.) I think the tennis courts were resurfaced too.

So all in all, a good job. (Nothing to do with gentrification imo.)

I'm still amazed how many people there are who live locally who aren't aware of this park. Great place to take a few mates for their first visit and give them a nice surprise :)

The worse thing about that little area is the loss of the two pubs in the past few years - the Prince of Wales and the Paulet Arms :(

Ms Ordinary, buscador, editor and 3 others like this.
  12. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I saw last year they were doing a kids overnight camping event, which seemed a little bit daft for central London, but probably great fun too!

wtfftw and gaijingirl like this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

14. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Myatt's Field is one of my favourite parks.. just love it there. The kids' play area is excellent - the cafe is just right, lots of really nice and well pitched events.

15. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I grew up next to the park from 7 - 17. Walked through it to and from school every day from when I was 11. Walked my dog there. Had my first kiss there. Got the scar and dent in my eyebrow from there (17 stitches). Got flashed there. Convinced people I could see a ghost there.

Myatts field park is my childhood!!!!

ringo, Badgers, buscador and 3 others like this.
  16. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Was my local park from 6 to 19. :)

I'm pleased by the pictures and attention (and funding).

17. Brixton Hatter

:eek:

18. Brixton Hatter

Yes the kids area is really excellent now - stuff for kids of all ages. The fountains are really good (and they usually work, unlike the ones in Brockwell Park.)

19. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Fantastic park, especially after the revamp.

20. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

probably because they worked out that sand and water filters do not make a good match!

21. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Me and two friends walking home from school when we were about 13. Stereotypical flasher with brown mac. We found it hysterical. Got home still giggling and told my mum who called the police immediately. I think they got him.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

It is a great park, we are really lucky to live so close to it. Really should use it more and will make an effort too this summer. Last night we went down with the (borrowed) dog and a bottle of wine and had a lovely time.

Greebo likes this.
  23. brixtonscot

brixtonscot Well-Known Member

I worked in Myatts Field park as a gardener from 1979 - 1983. I was living on Cowley Estate and was told by Social Security that if I didn't get a job I would be sent to a "work discipline camp" - so I went along to Myatts and asked the manager if there was any jobs ... and he said "start tomorow"

24. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

We should bring those back

25. Brixton Hatter

It's already here. It's called the Work Programme, courtesy of the DWP. Aka unpaid work, aka slave labour.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  26. SpamMisery

But presumably those on the programme recieve housing benefit and a number of other payments?

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Not from the body benefitting from the work.

CH1 likes this.
  29. SpamMisery

For me, benefits paid for no return is not as good as benefits paid for a small return to a company (regardless of who they are).

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Be nice if this thread about Myatt's Field park would be for actually discussing Myatt's Field park.