My Philips GoGear Vibe MP4 device claims to hold 8GB of music. But is now 'full'..

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by William of Walworth, Mar 10, 2018.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I'm sceptical that the memory of my daily-used music player really is full.

The 'memory full' message, that came up both on Deb's laptop and on the screen of the device itself, is highly frustrating, because I want to add a lot more albums.

But I have no idea of what '8GB' represents in terms of how many tunes? or (more importantly) how many albums? I'm sure some Urbans will know -- please help.

I haven't yet counted the albums I've already got (would need to start up Deb's laptop again to do that (I will later). But the total is definitely not more than over 100 -- probably an absolute maximum of 130 albums, from memory.

On the box that the product came in, there's a circle saying '8GB' and '2000' against a musical symbol. But on the Philips site, I couldn't easily find anything saying how much music that actually is -- is 2,000 the number of tunes? In which case the device may well be full, or number of albums? In which case the device definitely is not full.

At the moment on the device, I can only get as far as this message : 'Memory full. Connect to PC and delete some content' -- right now on the player, I can't get beyond this message to the list of artists/albums. Nor can I play any of them for the moment. That's not important for me on a Saturday, but it will be come Tuesday, when I go back to work! :hmm:

I'll (reluctantly) delete an album or two if I have to -- I have a couple of corrupted ones on the gadget for example. But I remain in doubt that the memory really is full with such a (relatively) small number of albums on the device :(

Takeaway question then -- what is 8GB, memory wise, for albums??

2. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

3. TruXta

TruXta tired

All depends on the size of the files. Crap mp3s can go as low as single digit megabytes, lossless files OTOH can easily be as big as half a gigabyte per album.

stuff_it and Chemical needs like this.
  4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

it depends massively on the bitrate, you cannot just count one album as X mb

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Going off my iPod it's about 1200 songs.

William of Walworth likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Coincidentally, I have about 8 gigs worth of music on my phone and that amounts to 65 mixes, but they range from 30mb to a 1gb each

7. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Assume william, as you seem to be posting from 1999, that an album is 100mbs - your player is full.

8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

Years ago I had a Sony MP3 thing, and it also advertised specific numbers of songs, plus overall capacity. It decided it was full when there was nowhere near the maximum amount of data on it. Turned out that the file system was set at a maximum number of files, so if the files were pretty small it would think it was full, despite having loads of capacity left in GB.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

That's not fair. MP3 players were quite the thing until at least 2004.

But yeah, it's full. Why would it lie?

10. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

mp4? are you downloading album artwork too?

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Little puzzled by
    If you're seeing a message does that mean you are you using some software on the computer to access it and transfer stuff on to it ? I vaguely recall my (older) Go Gear Vibe came with some software but I never used it.

I just plug the Go Gear Vibe into my (windows) computer using a USB cable. Windows treats it as a mass storage device like a USB stick and I can copy/paste/delete folders of music onto it as needed. I can highlight the folders already on it and via right-click properties see how much space they are taking up. Windows Explorer displays how much free space there is left on it in total, as with any other drive/device.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  12. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

Also make sure there are no compressed files taking up space from where they have been downloaded, torrented or whatever then unzipped

13. William of Walworth

I know most of my OP makes me look like Mr Ludd .... and I've never been too far away from that anyway :oops:

Thanks anyway for your help above folks. I fear my gadget really is full :( :(

14. William of Walworth

No -- music only.

15. William of Walworth

And that's my current conclusion now, depressingly.

16. William of Walworth

Thanks for this advice, but I wish I knew what it meant.

I very much doubt that I do ... :oops: :oops: :oops: :(

17. William of Walworth

Good stuff, thanks. More tomorrow on it, but I think we'll only be able to confirm that my space capacity really is now zero :( :(

18. William of Walworth

And that's my only even slightly hopeful post in this thread. Thanks farmerbarleymow :)

Fuck knows whether I'll be able to make any sense at all from it though :( :(

19. William of Walworth

8GB = 1999 it would seem then ....

Why the fuck is capacity not bigger than 1999, these days? :hmm: :(

20. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Spotify.

21. William of Walworth

My ambition to have 250+ never-played-at-home CDs**, to choose from every week at work , and also to shield myself from people talking boring nonsense all day, now looks as if it's an impossibility .... :confused:

Technology, eh.

22. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Sorry, what were you doing on this site again? :confused:

23. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Get a bigger one?

Many have expandable memory as well...

24. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

A phone* with a bigger memory card could do that. You know how big my record collection is - I bought a bigger card for it - and I've got all of it on my phone. 128 GB I think although they probably do much bigger ones I'd imagine. Something like this:

sandisk_sdsqunc_128g_an6ia_ultra_micro_sd_card_1174739.jpg

* or an mp3 player if it lets you take the memory card out.

25. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I still use mp3's as the internet connections dodgy out here and I can't abide adverts on Spotify / YouTube etc.

26. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Go on ebay. Buy a mp3 player with more space.
    You will get 512GB for about a tenner.

Choose one that looks like it has a good menu system and is well made.

27. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

On the paid for version of Spotify you can download the stuff to your phone for poor signal.

Dom Traynor and Thimble Queen like this.
  28. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yep. Premium Spotify account. Ten quid a month for more music than you can ever need, no ads and the ability to download onto a device for when you’re not on WiFi/a data network.

Come join us in the 21st century, it’s great ;) :D :cool:

Dom Traynor likes this.
  29. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Tenner a month still feels like a lot. Its more than Netflix and the whole family can watch that at the same time.

30. William of Walworth

I think I'll be going down the (much) bigger gadget rather than down the Spotify route.