My Fantasy World

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by mojo pixy, Sep 26, 2018.

1. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I've been writing books, set in this world:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first book mainly takes place here:
    Obsidian City.

[​IMG]

And the reason for this post is that I'm at a point where I'm writing a synopsis and verging on sending a book to an actual agent. Then another, I suppose, and another and on till someone likes it. So quite honestly I'd like some feedback first from people who aren't friends, and have a love for good fantasy fiction .. frogwoman has read my stuff, and I believe enjoyed it. I know there are posters here who are big fans of the genre - I am, and when I'm writing I do try to live up to the thoughtful, original, trippy stuff I love best. So I hope it at least isn't utter dreck, y'know.

From the synopsis I'm working on...

''Shadow Sister is a retro-futuristic fantasy novel set in low-tech but complex civilisations, comparable with ancient societies real and imaginary; Byzantium, Ghana, Egypt, Persia, Atlantis, Valinor. There is magic based on singing that activates aenimus, a kind of life force which can be manipulated for many purposes. But in this fantasy world the Great and the Good are neither great nor good – these heroes are thieves and killers and slaves.

Shadow Sister tells the story of SAIYALI AMBON, kidnapped as a girl and taken into slavery. Through adventures over twenty-five years or so, she ends up wealthy, happy, a little bit famous – and mainly, free. The story unfolds in two arcs that interweave, revealing Saiyali's character and echoing her experiences along two timelines – Past and Present.

. . .

Saiyali Ambon is an anti-heroine for our morally ambiguous days, and I hope the world where she lives is a recognizably human one. At 170 000 words, Shadow Sister is long; it's an immersive, sensuous, emotional adventure, populated by lifelike characters, in a setting ripe for storytelling.''

I have my own paranoias about the writing obvs, but on the upside (?) there are currently three books and a fourth in progress (trying to get into editing the first draft into shape, but after a year of writing it I'm sort of sick of my own words...) .. so if anyone reads this who feels like having a go at something new and different, helping me turn something that might be OK into something great, please PM and I'll send a PDF. Not posting a link here because I'm not after shifting copies but getting some quality feedback. Enjoy the maps .. there are weather graphs too, in the book.

Anyway I've been thinking about posting this up for a while, finally got the courage to do it, I hope I won't regret it too badly .. then again if I want books to be published I'd best get used to people saying they're shit :thumbs:

2. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Not wanting to piss on any parades here, but did you ever play Oblivion, by any chance?

3. mojo pixy

I've played tons of games, read tons of books, they're all in there somewhere. ''Pocket Guide to the Empire'' is indeed a title from the Elder Scrolls games, I nicked it on purpose. Like the semicircular city (though Imperial City is an unbroken full circle, and nowhere near as big)

The world inside the words has nothing at all in common with Elder Scrolls btw, it's a completely different thing. I just like dropping random references into my writing.

4. 8ball

Fair enough - just my first impression from looking at the maps.

I don’t get much time to play games and Oblivion has taken an age in half-hour increments.

5. mojo pixy

The maps took a while, especially the city. Took a long time to work out how to make the concentric circles. The others are made from bits of real maps. Bits of India, Norway, Italy, Australia, Japan - and cut-up Russian rivers.

krtek a houby and 8ball like this.
  6. 8ball

The concentric circles were one of the
    main things that reminded me of Oblivion. Not that that is the only cultural reference with that kind of city.

7. mojo pixy

There is in the end a reason it's the shape it is, which is explained in the third story.
    Not the third book, because it's not a series like that, but there are other stories that take place later partly because of stuff that happens in this one. The one I'm still working on (the fourth one) begins right after this one ends, and has a lot of the same characters in it.

But now I think about it, the stuff that happens in the third one is unrelated to this one, it's just the same world, with the same (ancient) history. Two minor characters from this one (Shadow Sister) become major characters in the third one, but not obvious characters, and not for obvious reasons.

EtA, finished editing now :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

I'll have a read please?

mojo pixy likes this.
  9. TruXta

TruXta tired

Aye me too

mojo pixy likes this.
  10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Free read of a fantasy book. Count me in.

I've read truck loads of the genre and I won't be kind of it's not good. You want honest opinion yes?

mojo pixy likes this.
  11. mojo pixy

I do, and when I get home I'll send PMs.

Yes, honest. Nothing else will do, any agent will sure as hell be honest so best get that out of the way harmlessly before I send it.

It's hard to avoid excusing / explaining but I'm doing my best to resist the temptation :)

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Should this bit of text read "killers and slavers" as it's a list of bad guys? Good luck with the project!

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

gwan I'll have a read

mojo pixy likes this.
  14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

me and the wife spent a lovely fortnight in Marathy on3 year but you have to watch out for those potion sellers on the beaches.

mojo pixy likes this.
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

I'll read it. Need some holiday reading.

If it's awful and I genuinely can't finish it I promise I will tell you :)

mojo pixy likes this.
  16. mojo pixy

No, slaves. The main protagonist is a slave for half the story, and another, minor character also. Just about everyone is an anti-hero because I hate squeaky clean characters :D

Basically I was fed up with fantasy stories starring lords and ladies, this was an attempt to create a kind of fantasy-world-turned-upside-down. In the fourth story (in edit now) there's a full-on bloody revolution. More on that later.

yield and JimW like this.
  17. Gromit

Got the zip file. The audible version is the best. How did you get Stephen Fry to narrate it?

mojo pixy likes this.
  18. mojo pixy

19. Gromit

Just trying to get more peeps interested ;) :D

20. yield

yield zero

I'd like a read, please.

mojo pixy likes this.
  21. mojo pixy

yield , I've added you to a PM thread where a PDF of the thing is posted.