1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My daughters primary school is asking for money. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Feb 20, 2018.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

So, why is this becoming the norm (or has it been for some time?), whilst no one would dream of nurses or doctors paying out of their own pocket for bandages and medicines? For now at least.
  2. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Bandages and medicines no, but ime food, clothing, travel fares, books needed for treatment and most memorably a couple of days in a hotel for a woman waiting for a domestic violence shelter place.
  3. TruXta

TruXta tired

You mean staff paid for this?!
  4. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Yes. I worked in one A&E where if you wanted to make someone in distress a cuppa you had to raid the staff supply they brought in themselves.
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Well done them, but it's not right is it. And as I said, not nearly the norm in the NHS, or in the social care sector.
  6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Those 600k headteachers salaries have got to come from somewhere.

7. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Most school staff are not bloody head teachers are they?!
    Saffy likes this.
  8. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

You seem to be shifting your relevant fact goalpost.
  9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

To come back to an earlier point.

Whilst cuts to school budgets and academisation are separate issues I think it's important to note that they are related.

In some ways directly, i.e. there have been cash and funding incentives for schools to turn into academies.

But also in that that they are part of the same neo-liberal strategy. The breaking of the state education system. Cuts (and the austerity that leads to them) aren't an accident, they are a deliberate, strategic, mechanism for change.
    sheothebudworths likes this.
  10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

the manifesto for the tories in the last election wanted to just academise the lot iirc
  11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Ok the background of this.

Someone posted a link and said headteachers get paid 150k per year.

I said it’s more relavent what primary headteachers get paid and listed the amount which was also in the linked article.

You then piped up and said it’d be even more relavent what the exact primary school teacher gets paid, and then said seeing as I was so interested I should raise the foi request.

Can we conclude from that that you think average headteacher pay is more relavent to a discussion about primary schools than average primary headteacher pay ?

12. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

None of this nitpicking changes the central point on which you are dead wrong. Breaking down national bargaining is bad for workers. One of the primary goals of the academisation of education is to break down national bargaining, to reduce worker solidarity.
  13. friedaweed

Nope. I'm sorry but based upon our interactions herein you'd be a bit of a dick to conclude as you suggest above. ;)
  14. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Strange, because what I outlined is exactly what has happened.

15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes this has nothing to do with national pay bargaining. It’s all about friedaweed objecting to me saying that primary school teacher average salaries were more relavent that headteachers salaries in a conversation about primary schools.

National pay bargaining seems a sweet deal for people who live in cheap parts of the countral and a raw one for people who live in expensive parts of the country.

16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

That’s not an argument.
  17. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Did that take you two days to think up?
  18. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

As someone who lives in an expensive part of the country and whose pay is not governed by the national pay scale...I would fuckin' love to get that "raw deal" instead of my current one.
    sheothebudworths likes this.
  19. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

That's created an unpleasant mental image.
  20. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

You've got this wrong idea in your head, and no amount of explanation from people who know, from teachers themselves, will persuade you, will it.

Weirdly tedious. And tediously weird.
  21. friedaweed

In your mind clearly this is what 'you think' is happening here between us and you seem to be the sort of person who might not consider that they may have completely misinterpreted someone else's point. That is why I aint taking the time to engage with you ;)

You're so hung up on a point of view that you're reading things that aren't happening in what others have said. At no point have I made any comment that would justify you thinking that I think one thing is more important than the other. You've automatically assumed that about me which is why I've not engaged in discussion with you. You're like the shouty man in the street than no one listens to mate.

I could probably have a good conversation with you about the subject actually because as I've spent 28 years of my life working in education but I'm not going to because of the way you're conversing. You already think I disagree with you about something you haven't any knowledge of my opinion on.

LBJ's right it's a bit weirdly tedious.

Good day to you ;)
  22. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

You keep saying this, but it's not true, is it?
    chilango likes this.
  23. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

Yes - and apologies, cos I definitely added to that idea. :oops:
    I really don't know enough about it, outside of the obvious stuff.
    That's influenced by the fact that I work in a secondary school, right next to another secondary school (which both my kids attend/have attended), which get very similar *results* (if it's ever right to pay any attention to those, either :rolleyes: ) but where 'mine' is, by far, the more *desirable* choice - and where neither are academies - (although the wanker head of my son/daughter's vigorously strove for academy status which was, I think, pretty much lost solely down to an extremely vocal campaign from parents, against LOTS of hostility from the head) but where my school has, for eg, a lower intake of free school meal kids (and SEN, iirc) - and the difference there is a £41 p/pupil loss at 'my' school as opposed to £285 to my kids' (and £355 to my son's college).

Sorry, that was a very long sentence :D

Those two schools are literally a three minute walk apart (although Brighton does have issues with having no central schools, so lots of kids travel to both of them).

I did get it wrong about the banners, too - they display the *average* loss, across the city (£487, iirc) but it IS a bloody good campaign - I'd been stupid enough to assume that that was happening everywhere! I hope it's taken up outside of here.

It's certainly been down to that campaign that I was aware of the wild variations between the impact of the cuts, too - and for sure there are no surprises, mostly and you could fairly easily guess at which schools are going to more fucked than the others, and which children will suffer for it.

The last thing I wanted to say was that the figures given on the website I linked to are based on this, too... 'Funding to cover PFI costs have been removed from all sums.' ...and quite fucking right, too. No massaging of the figures.
    chilango and Orang Utan like this.