My daughters primary school is asking for money. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Feb 20, 2018.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

That would be easy. I am sad that it has come to this. I assume there is a bit of a crisis . . . one that is a bit further reaching than just my daughters primary school.

2. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I still use cheques.
    I pay my mortgage with them, and anything for school or the council.
    I especially enjoy the ones to the council as they never bother cashing them.

3. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

4. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

If there is a crisis it's their fault not yours. We already pay for this once ;)

emanymton likes this.
  5. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

6. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Isn’t the point of academies to be financed in a way to make the Tories look good? The more that fail to balance the books and revert to non-academies the better for the future of the country, but tragic for the kids being used as part of this ploy.

Our school has PTA events to raise funds, they are fun, social events with a clear objective of how much is wanted to be raised over the year for whatever project has been agreed on. General school funding should come from government and non-academies seem to be able to cope quite well with that..?

muscovyduck and Poot like this.
  7. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

My daughter's school is about to become an academy because its Ofsted report was awful and the Tories don't want failing schools. By which I mean that they don't want anything to do with them, obs. Certainly they don't want to be putting money into them.

So, yeah. I think it might be an academy thing. But I've always been suspicious of academies. My son's school is an academy and they ask for money now and then. Usually for materials but it's always way more than the materials actually cost. Not that I mind but it's the principle of the thing. The academy system is too much like a business, and businesses are failing.

8. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

I might have understood the academy thing wrong, but seems to me you have a business asking for a bailout here. If that's the case they should be justifying every bloody thing they've spent.

muscovyduck likes this.
  9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

The point of academies was to break the education system.
    • to break the comprehensive ideal
    • to break LA control over schools and place it in the hands of businesses and charities
    • to break the national pay scale and other pay & conditions stuff
    • to break the teaching unions
    Pure ideological wrecking.

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Is it only academies that can ask for money then?

11. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

I would be writing a letter expressing my concern at the school's financial management and asking if they can continue to provide education for its pupils without charitable donations. Also emailing my MP.

wayward bob, kittyP, ddraig and 8 others like this.
  12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I don't know.

I feel like I should write ask the school what exactly is going on with the budget. They have agreed as an academy that they can run under the money provided. We pay extras for trips and extra school activities. The letter says
    "(Blah blah) is a registered charity and the amins of the trust are to raise the educational aspirations of all our children, who are the beneficiaries of the charity. With this in mind. each academic year we are asking our families to a contribution towards providing those extra resources and opportunities that are beyond the reach of existing budgets."
    So it sound like they want to provide 'something extra', so I think I should at least maybe ask them to specify what that is. . . or am I being petty?
    All they have said is that it is not going to pay for other kids who could not afford to pay for other school trips etc (which I thought sounded a bit frickin' harsh, but is maybe needed considering the working class tory daily mail mums that crowd round the school gate).

And the charity thing. I thought it was 'charitable status' and not an actual 'we get our money from charity', isn't that misrepresenting the situation a bit?
    It's a bit like all the taxes I pay . . . and yet I have to now pay extra for some council services, medical options, and now schools? All hail the new brexit, what are things going to be like when that hits???

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

The future is a voucher based system a la Pinochet's Chile.

It's already creeping into the SEND sector.

Full marketisation, parents being issued vouchers (or personal budgets or whatever term they think they'll get away with) to "spend" on education. "Choice" will be the carrot. Better off parents using this to subsidise private education. Parents will of course end up topping up this up across the board. Charities will increasingly (attempt to) plug the gaps lower down.

Its coming :mad:.

14. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

That idea was first floated in the 90s, no? Not saying they wouldn't love to do this, but not easy to do.

15. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

A thousand pin pricks/boiling a frog innit?

maomao likes this.
  16. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Winot likes this.
  17. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Thanks. Thought so. All state schools are struggling financially. I don't like the academy model but schools are often forced to go down that route. Focussing on academy status is a distraction here - the issue is austerity.

sheothebudworths likes this.
  18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

What is the argument for a national pay scale

Alex

19. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Why?

Have a look at the NEU website for their POV if you want.

20. littlebabyjesus

It is negotiated with unions and produces better pay and conditions for the majority of workers.

BigTom and muscovyduck like this.
  21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

From my POV, I'm not on the national pay scale, I earn well under - maybe 60-65% of what I would if I was.

22. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

From the kids POV, staff morale is lower and turnover higher. Not good things.

muscovyduck likes this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

You're one of those shirkers who hold back the high achievers that are set free by performance-driven academies, aren't you?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I work with with disadvantaged kids. They don't deserve the best teachers after all.

25. littlebabyjesus

Waste of time even sending them to school tbh.

It's an uneasy thing to do to try to put yourself in the position of defending these ideas with some kind of rational justification. Scary place to be.

26. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

It's in my face (and on my desk) every day.

27. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

What about workers in more expensive areas ?

Alex

28. littlebabyjesus

You not heard of things like London-weighting?

In addition to that, you tackle the reasons why there are expensive areas in the first place. Integrated policy...

muscovyduck likes this.
  29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, but what about places just outside the London weighting or everywhere else in the country where is is expensive to live ?

How is it for those workers ?

Alex

30. littlebabyjesus

Why is it expensive to live in these places? Is this something you think ought to be tackled, or should policies be directed towards reinforcing such inequalities?

I can do the Socratic method too, see.

muscovyduck likes this.