1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My daughters primary school is asking for money. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Feb 20, 2018.

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

A couple of years ago I heard my daughters primary school was being turned into an academy. There were all sorts of shenanigans that I was not happy about (I probably should not go into here) but there seemed to be no choice.

One year into a full academy and all art has been dropped (as far as I can tell they only do maths and english). . . . but actually I guess this is beside the point (I'm just not happy).

Today I get a letter asking for £25 for each student as the school is low on funds. Is this sort of thing normal in the UK? I know it happens to local schools in Japan, but I have not heard of it in the UK before.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  2. TruXta

TruXta tired

For anything specific or just as a general contribution?
  3. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

They wouldn't be selling the students at such a discounted price unless they were desperate, I'd pay up if I were you. But get a receipt.

Just a general contribution.

"as we are all aware, public funds that make up our annual school budget are never sufficient and with current spending cuts, our budgets are under further pressure"
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Blimey. Well, I act surprised, but I'm not.
    existentialist likes this.

So it's not normal?
  7. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's becoming increasingly normal it seems.
  8. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

this, and ultimately academies seemingly can get away with whatever they want
  9. TruXta

TruXta tired

That, and I suppose over-worked and under-paid teachers get fed up paying for "extras" like crayons and pencils and whatnot.
    existentialist and muscovyduck like this.
  10. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Do you have to actually pay or is it a suggested donation? I don't think legally they can force you to pay. They can't turn your daughter away at the gates.

A school local to me did the same and I know the head. She did it out of desperation as they had no idea how they would balance the budgets without help from the parents.
  11. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I'd want to know a bit more about what that money would be buying before handing any over.

What happens to the parents who can't afford to pay it?
  12. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

In the US it's completely normal (and much lower than they're usually asked to pay), which means it's going to get more widespread here too.
  13. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I remember plenty of fund raising events to help support the primary (CofE) school I went to, and plenty of parents gave their time and occasional donations. Rummage sales, sponsored walks etc... it was all about raising extra money for the school to buy new materials and stuff.

I think we just live in a much more 'formalised' World now. Just keep it simple and get the cash.
  14. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

My secondary school asked parents to set up monthly standing orders 20+ years.
  15. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

It used to be milk bottle tops or old newspapers. Now it is like Magpie & they just ask for your cash. :(
    cupid_stunt likes this.
  16. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Tell them to fuck right off. If they weren't paying their head teachers so much they'd have more in their budget for the job they're supposed to be doing, teaching the kids

Academy fucking cunts.

That is all.:thumbs:
    kebabking, Mr Smin, marty21 and 11 others like this.
  17. Stanley Edwards

How much do they get paid these days?
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Over £100k a year.

Some of the highest paid heads get more than £200k a year.
  19. friedaweed

Rutita1 likes this.
  20. Stanley Edwards

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Average primary school = 225 pupils. £25 donation per pupil = £5.6k
  22. Stanley Edwards

That is just not on.

Tell the kids to strike. And, Atomic; you go piss in a bottle and hand it over to the head with a red ribbon tied around the neck.

Wept! What the fuck is going on?
    friedaweed likes this.
  23. friedaweed

I don't mind chucking in through the school PTA as that actually serves to engage more parents with school activities but these cuntz just want your money and you to not get involved with "Their business".

It's the gradual start of privatisation.

It's interesting wording. It at no point says it is voluntary. It says it knows some family budgets are tight so that are only asking for £25 if you have two kids at the school (£15 for one - I read it wrong the first time). The closest it gets to being voluntary is "The generosity of your contribution is greatly received".

I have a tear away form, and I need to write my daughters name on the back of the cheque, so they are obviously keeping a record.
  25. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

its 2018
  26. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

They can't insist you pay. If you don't want to, don't bother. IIRC your kid is a very similar age to mine so she's either in year 6 or 5. If she's in year 5, then that's only a year of avoiding the letters. If she's in year 6, then it's only a few months. Fuck em.
  27. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

Mmm, so the plop thickens....are you sure it's from the school? Does it have a Nigerian postmark?

I think the discount for two kids is a bit stingy, they could at least have offered a BOGOF! :hmm: I'm in reality very sorry for whoever has to prostrate themselves like this. It's not nice for anyone involved, without having at least a tombola to cover up the shame and guilt.
    friedaweed likes this.
  28. friedaweed

If you disagree don't send one. simple.
  29. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Fuck them, throw it in the bin. I get emails from my daughter's school quite frequently suggesting that a donation of $1,000 - $1,500 would be "appropriate" and she hasn't even started there yet.

Meh, the principals name is on the letter and shes leaving in a week or two with nobody to replace her so I doubt she's all that bothered.