1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Amsterdam holiday got cancelled. So I took photos of a snowy Luton Airport Parkway instead

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Dec 11, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Any guess on the pricing? I love Eurostar.

Slo-mo likes this.
  2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I asked my ex E* mate the other day - like me he is a retired old git , so no knowledge. However I cannot see it being much more different than present Brussels fares with the standard Benelux fare on top, - they have to be competitive and these nice new trains have 40% more capacity than the old 373 sets. Seats to fill. Love the idea of going fast with just Brussels / Antwerp and Rotterdam calls.

When in the New Year you make enquiries - do so via Ffestiniog Travel -who apart from being Welsh , run a great travel agency and provide good local jobs + they get a cut off the commission to support that fine pair of railways.

ska invita, Puddy_Tat and editor like this.
  3. Is it just going to be the one a day, or are there plans to do a couple more? 0840 is a right arseache if you need to connect from outside London and an evening train would allow for day trips for business people which would then be able to compete with the planes...

4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Full timetable not yet issued - but likely to be 3 each way , each day to start with...expect deep checks on arrival back in London ! ......

Slo-mo and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  5. Yeah, but fewer eyes on those sensible enough to Thalys to Brussels and E* from there :thumbs:

Slo-mo likes this.
  6. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

:thumbs:
    Yeah - or get a classic old school Dutch train to Brussels then E* and save a few euros....

Slo-mo and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  7. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I don't know how it will compare for weather resilience. Obviously the tunnel itself is pretty much 100% snow proof but it doesn't seem to take much snow to bring the railway to a halt.

8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Funnily enough I got a ride to Brussels on the then very new and totally crap Fyra HS trains - December 2012 - the ones that ran for about a month before being banned by the SNCB and withdrawn , anyway had a relaxing stay in the Dam and set off back in the middle of a frozen landscape with about 4 inches of snow - (the canals were totally iced up and you could walk round the city on them !)

Anyway - on this day these crappo trains were OK , but there was a set of points playing up at Schipol (West) , so we stood for about 25 mins whilst some stalwart got them clipped up - - we went non stop to Antwerp then fast to Brussels Midi only - there was a good load of E* passengers on board - , and to be fair to the Belgians they gave us top priority and the connection was made ...:thumbs:

My mate went back to Gatwick on E/Jet and was delayed for hours ...

Slo-mo likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The trains were all running fine the day that my flight was cancelled.

Slo-mo likes this.
  10. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Great to hear this is starting up at last. It’s been years in the making.

Slo-mo likes this.
  11. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Eurostar always do cheap deals in the first few months of the year (to get some cash in) , and of course the Brussels trains load much lighter than the Paris ones. Presume also less bag carriers attending pointless meetings there in the near - next to near future !

13. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

tbf I quite fancy it :)