Mustard on the Moon! China launches far-side Lunar lander with biology onboard, 8th Dec 2018

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by editor, Dec 6, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Mustard on the Moon!
    China Readies Farside Moon Mission

S☼I, hipipol and NoXion like this.
  2. 2hats

2hats

Chang’e-4 has been launched and that has apparently officially been declared a success. It completed the trans-lunar injection burn a short time ago and is now in the coast en route to the Moon (transfer orbit of around 200x420000km).

editor likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Long March to the Dark Side......

5. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Not sure how well the mustard will go with Wallaces cheese sandwiches...
    My first thought was - on the other side of the moon, we have no line of sight, is the static lander actually just of the border? There is some wobble so it could operate this way but the best would be this, Queqiao, a communication satellite which they launched in May to prepare for this - what? I do not recall that event but total utter respect
    "It will settle in an orbit about 455,000 km (282,555 miles) from Earth."
    China launch will prep for Moon landing
    Definitely time to learned Mandarin.....:thumbs::cool:

6. Lupa

Lupa A loving heart is the truest wisdom

Mustard eh?
    Perfect accompaniment for all that cheese. :)

7. I've eaten some space food.
    We grew some rocket seeds that Tim Peake took to to the space station for six months, compared them to some from the same batch that stayed on Earth.
    We thought the space seeds rocket tasted more peppery.

fishfinger likes this.
  8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

That'll be the radiation :D

Lupa likes this.
  9. Probably, that did say we weren't meant to eat the stuff we'd grown :hmm:.

10. 2hats

2hats

Almost certainly safer than consuming similar grown in the CNPP zone of alienation.

11. 2hats

2hats

Chang’e-4 has been picked up by amateur radio observers who spotted it executing a trajectory correction burn a few hours ago on the way to the Moon (the kink in the gradually changing Doppler shift in frequency highlights the acceleration arising from the manoeuvre). Now well over half way there, it should arrive in lunar orbit around 1500UTC on Tuesday.
    [​IMG]

editor and fishfinger like this.
  12. 2hats

2hats

Chinese officials have reported that Chang’e-4 entered lunar orbit (100x400km) early on Wednesday. It’s notable though that a handful of amateur radio observers (who tracked it in the trans-lunar coast) have since heard no signal from the craft (in contrast to previous missions).

HAL9000 likes this.