Musical Genius

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by kakuma, Feb 12, 2006.

1. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

following on from zenie calling graham coxon a musical genius, it seems like a term quite overused

what does it mean fo' yo????

i would call dj rupture a musical genius because

1: his dj'ing is not like any other dj i have ever seen, not only technically amazing but he beatmatches things like bellydance music and grime

2: his production is just as inventive, eg his bootleg album rather than taking pop tunes and mashing them together, he mashed up 'world music' with jungle/garage etc

ok enough about rupture, the point is that he gives a fresh take on music as a whole and finds missing links

great guitarists arent musical geniuses is silly, i think led zep proved it by their cut n paste appropriations (not a suitable smilie to put here )

anyways

name you musical genii and justify it to ninja

2. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

"genre changing" :D
    lol

3. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

Venetian Snares is a genius, but his creations are so harsh that most will never make the effort to listen.

5. Firky

a giant alien force more violent and sick than anything you can imagine, is fucking insane :cool:

6. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

i namedropped that tune in my story firky :cool:

7. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

i have never really got venetian snares properly, but i don't think he's in the same league as rupture

i'd put him next to squarepusher in the 'bit too widdly' section

8. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

once you dont get into him, its hard to get out :(

9. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

Trent Reznor.

He writes everything for nine inch nails. He does all the guitars, bass, programmes the drums, pianos/keyboards and probbaley even writes the other silly instrumeants. Live he at varying points sings, plays guitar, bass, keyboards and piano.

He is in one of the more unique metal bands around he produces(including david bowie), remxies(own stuff and loads of other things)and even owns his own little interscope fed recored label(but who doesn't these days). Oh and he is one of the main reasons why we know the name marilyn manson.

Trent is a genius. End of.

dave

10. dirtysanta

dirtysanta Original Casual

agree 100%.

Graham Coxon, genius ????????? Zenie what planet you on, girl ?

11. zenie

zenie >^^<

Read the post :mad:

Compared to Noel Gallagher FFS :mad:

12. Firky

The musical genius that is Andrew Lloyd Webber has not had a mention :eek:

There's very few people who are musical geniuses, Frank Zappa or maybe he was just crazy.

13. Firky

Jonny Greenwood does all the shizzle and that too, but I'm not going into a RH fanboi post :D

14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

AFX
    Mad Mike
    Carl Craig
    Eno
    Autechre

15. Firky

AFX is too far up his own arse to be a genius. It is for the sake of...

Too premeditated I think.

16. Orang Utan

He is a genius just for SAW1 & 2 and Surfing On Sine Waves

17. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

another one is the RZA

i woulnt have said he was a genius a few years ago, cos he was only doing hip hop, but has done a few movie soundtracks, and they have his mark,

he could probably produce anything, and he did change hip hop a couple of times with his production

18. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Brian Eno
    John Cale
    Nigel Blackwell
    Ennio Morricone

theres a few more but I can't be arsed to list them !

and they are all geniuses in different ways as well :cool:

19. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Francois Kevorkian is a musician, producer and DJ of the highest order. He has a huge back catalogue of productions ranging from Kraftwerk to almost every good disco record ever made. The man is a legend.

His deepspace style dj sets really joins the dots between music genre's including dub. When on form he has to be seen to be believed. :cool:

20. Orang Utan

I'd agree. It's a shame he never seems to play those sets anymore though - he just bangs it out playing STF.

21. Firky

22. Firky

Matthew Herbert is fucking awesome too, I've seen him perform live (albeit on a video). Leaves []pusher standing imo.

http://www.magicandaccident.com/

He looks a little like dr. jazz :eek:

23. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

behave rza is well over rated. Other then 36 chambers no wu-tang album is actully listenable all the way through. And that "the world according to rza" was shockingly bad as well. Not sure what else he has done but it would have to be impressive to make up for "the w".

dave

24. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

25. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

nah, theres loads of good songs he does scattered about, that 'the cure' was excellent, he was co-producer on liquid swords as well

the soundtracks for ghost dog and kill bill were both directed by him and they are both top quality soundtracks, he just doesnt have the same high profile he used to have (probly cos he got burned)

26. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

27. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

GZA's better than RZA anyway.

And besides it was hardly a genius move to mix samples from obscure Kunf-fu movies with hip hop. Did it very well, but it was hardly groundbreaking, nor was that fake-italian gangster nonsense and comic book characterisation stuff either.

Ever decreasingly effective as well. Bit of a one trick pony; the output's been becoming thinner and thinner.

28. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

nah, gza is nowt without the rza, have you heard his other albums except liquid sword, they are fucking dire

there was so much more to wu tang than kung fu samples, the rhyming was years ahead of everyone else, and the concept did get tired, but rza does lots of other stuff as well

29. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Each Wu Tang member only had one album's one worth of good tracks in 'em I reckon, if that. And Liquid Swords is pretty much the best of the martial arts themed albums if you ask ne,

And like bollocks RZA's rhyming style is unique. It's bum standard stream of conciousness lyrics, given adding faux seriousnessness by rhyming two long, but largely irrelevant words at the end line occasionally. The flow consists of largely emphasising some of the more impressive words, regardless of context. It's a trick for sure, but you can soon see through it. Most of the times the lyrics are a burble of nonsense.

I liked the Wu-Tang, but trying to make claims on their 'unique' rhyming skills or influential seems more than a little forced. None of them are experimental in any way - Kool Keith took that stream of nonsenseness technique and strange flow crown way way before they hit the scene.

30. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

like i said, there is much more to rza than just wu tang clan

and anyway, your derailing the thread

suggest a musical genius or i'll fatal flying guillotine you :mad: