Music you only got into to impress someone

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Listening to Deacon Blue this morning; I'm not really a fan, but I do like a lot of the tracks on their "Best of" compilations. The only reason I ever listened to them in the first place, though, was because a girl I really liked in college was a huge fan - so naive 18-year-old me thought that if I was also a fan she would be impressed enough to go out with me (or at least acknowledge I exist).

Didn't work, obviously, but I still know all the words to Fergus Sings The Blues and Real Gone Kid, more than 25 years later. :) So thanks, Sam, wherever you are now.

Anyone else accidentally get into a band or genre because you were trying to impress someone else?

Fez909, marty21, yield and 3 others like this.
  2. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

3. jontz01

jontz01 taking refuge in the loft

Super furry animals, theatre royal Stoke. Late 90's. Same deal, chasing a girl.. One of the most memorable gigs of my life. 4 way surround sound. I became a lifelong fan after that.

4. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Was Tim Cook impressed?

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Real Gone Kid is a classic. One of my favourite pop songs :cool:

I don't think I ever purposely got into anything to impress anybody. I've tried to like stuff but can't force myself at the end of the day. I've been to a fair amount of gigs to please the OH though. Her taste in music is mostly indie rock from post 2000, wheras I'm very much more early to mid 90s. Last weekend it was The Kooks. Not totally awful, but it was pretty average. Also everyone there looked about 25.

6. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Razorlight. Yes, a woman was involved :facepalm:

Now I genuinely have Up All Night in my top ten favourite albums ever. I can sing along to every second, every ad lib, every crowd cheer of the The live recording at Brixton Academy (04-05ish?) and the Glastonbury live appearance (recording) in 05 and are, frankly, up there with Erick Morillo live at Leeds Love Parade, or even the DJ EZ 45 minute Boiler Room as legit perfect musical instances.

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

(((((Ranbay))))) :(

8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Duran Duran when I was ten. Julia Petty was into them and I was into her.
    Ended up loving them and all things synth.
    She never returned my adulation.

9. Ranbay

marty21 and Pickman's model like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

went to a sultans of ping gig while chasing a girl, but never got into that band

albionism likes this.
  11. Ranbay

I don't know who that is.

12. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Women I've loved have introduced me to new music, and perhaps ways of thinking about music or a particular act that I hadn't previously considered, but I'm mostly happy with how it's worked out so I don't really think of it as only getting into stuff to impress them.

David Guetta though, fwiw. :cool:

13. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

How very odd. I nearly started a thread based on this very thing yesterday.

Thread within a thread? John Martyn.

campanula and Pickman's model like this.
  14. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

For me, it's more music I pretended to hate to appear "cool."

Abba and the Eagles (admitting to liking them would almost result in a Nuremburg trial by the punk orthodoxy of 1977, which I fully subscribed to, despite owning Eagles' Greatest Hits and Hotel California). :(

PursuedByBears, Poi E, moomoo and 6 others like this.
  15. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

(((Tim)))

16. Buddy Bradley

Lemonheads - never listened to them (or any indie, really) before the singer in our band introduced me to that sort of thing. Never got into Pavement or Dinosaur Jr, though.

17. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

Music I only got into to impress someone: Fairport Convention. Julia was cool. She played folk music. It went nowhere. I still have a hardly listened to copy of The History of Fairport Convention knocking about somewhere.

Women I've loved who've introduced me to new music: funk and soul. When I got together with my girlfriend she was a goth. But it turned out she far more likely to be listening to James Brown's Funky People. I still love both very much 25 years later :cool:

18. killer b

Give them another spin - they produced some filth, but there's loads of good stuff on that comp - the first disk mostly, but 'Sloth' on the second is just wonderful.

19. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Never listened to music to impress anyone but have patiently listened to music that the other person has liked in the hope of finding a redeeming feature. Worst ones have been Cat Stevens, Spandau Ballet, Joan Armatrading ( fell asleep snoring after a few beers at one of her concerts with a short lived relationship ) , drum and bass , any form of American chick Rock ie Heart etc, Pink. Ones that I could really do without or just about put up with for 15 minutes: UB40, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Garage, tacky house, most folk music .
    I did watch Wuthering Heights , read a load of articles exploring themes in it as I was convinced that this woman I liked thought she was another Cathy and then she told me that she couldn't stand her. Went home played some Sparks, Frank Sidebottom and Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band to console myself .
    At the end if the day music is like chewing gum flavours to be honest.

20. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

I pretended to be a music snob to impress urban, but couldn't keep up the facade

21. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree I care not for the wealth of Gyges

Robert Palmer. Lyn Wilkinson. Went off them both.

22. The39thStep

I went out with this woman on a date from Camden in a pub and was talking to her about music and some bloke on the same table overheard and joined in . We had a really interesting if somewhat overlong conversation and on the way home my date complained it was like listening to a stocktake at A Virgin record store. That didn't go anywhere either .

23. The39thStep

Robert Palmer I can put up with , a lot of dross (his sync drum stuff sounds very dated) but there's a couple of gems.

24. killer b

Robert Palmer is a really interesting character - mostly sounds awful, but he casually rolled out some insanely experimental and brilliant tracks as B-sides, buried at the ends of albums etc.

25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank King of the Rhodes

I once nearly, and I must stress here that I never went through with it, took a girl to a James Blunt concert.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  26. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

Bands/artists I pretended to hate at one or other time for some reason or other:

Queen
    Dire Straits
    The Cure
    Kate Bush
    U2
    ABBA

27. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

I found it in a box at the back of a cupboard buried under the xmas decorations. Still not doing it for me.

What I did find in the box was a Great White album. I don't remember ever owning a Great White album. Probably because of Sonia. She loved hair metal. My first kiss x

28. hash tag

hash tag member

Weird Al Yankovic & The Verve - was trying to impress the sales assistant in HMV Oxford St. i failed. :D

ElizabethofYork likes this.
  29. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

I bought Blues for the Red Sun by Kyuss (because of the QOTS connection) at an indie record store in my mid 30’s. The judgemental fuck behind the counter was like ‘that’s a great album’ (subtext ‘for an older guy to buy’). I thought ‘Mingy, you’re still relevant’. Got it home and i hated it.

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  30. Buddy Bradley

Oh, that reminds me - I once bought Sepultura's Chaos AD because the guy behind the counter in HNV was starring in a reality TV show at the time and I knew he was a fan.

Poi E and Ming like this.