1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music venue chat

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Enviro, Dan U and Pgd like this.
  2. ska invita

Why do you think thats the case MO? You might be right, but is it based on anything other than a hunch? My hunch if venue owners are greedy and not fussed.

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Well it's the standard economics that forces a lot of things out - basically if you're renting your space, which most small businesses are going to be, then that space is going to be far more expensive than it was a few years ago, and only getting more so (other costs will have gone up too but in London it's rent that's going to be the killer). So in order to be viable you need to bring in more money, which in a pub might mean selling food rather than just doing beer, but in a club is likely to basically come down to getting plenty of people in I'd have thought.

I haven't done any research or worked out the numbers or anything like that so I might just be sounding off on the internet (never!) but I think it goes with a lot of other stuff you see all over London.

ska invita likes this.
  4. ska invita

Yeah that is definitely a possibility.....Thing is Im not sure you need that many less people to keep a good ratio of space in there. And a rammed out venue where you cant even get to the bar doesn't mean you sell more drinks. Maybe.

Also my impression is people who are running successful long term venues (not promoters, but the venue owners/leaseholders) are making tidy little fortunes...but I base that on nothing other than how expensive drinks are :D

In my daydream universe of running the perfect club, I'd set a maximum entry limit that was just perfect and people would get used to being turned away, and the principle of space would be a selling point, and people would keep hungry to get in.

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  5. ska invita

ringo did you make it to Ministry of Sound / Hopsital night, with their unveiling of their new surround sound speaker system?

6. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Yes, really enjoyed myself, I love clubbing on my own :). First visit to Ministry, have hardly been to any super clubs at all, so compared to the dingy rough houses I'm used to it was a massive change. Didn't queue very long, security very tight with photo ID, metal detectors and a very thorough weapons search. First time I've had a bouncer grab my cock but they didn't empty wallets/pockets etc so were clearly just making sure the place was safe from guns and knives so I can't complain about that.

It was a sell out, very busy but still space to dance, very nice crowd and friendly atmosphere, mixed crowd of young and old. Glad I wasn't drinking booze because the water was £3.40 a bottle. London Elektricity was very good, the sound system was amazing, top DJ's all night, two smaller rooms running slightly different selections as you'd expect. There were at least six big stacks of bins circling the dance floor, very well tuned. I had ear filters in the whole night after my recent hearing loss revelations and it still sounded crisp and beautifully set up. I took a filter out for a few seconds just to confirm and it was a great sound. Loud, even with filters I had ears humming for 36 hours.

He'd remixed his whole set to use the new Dolby Atmos system so there were moments when he panned beats and drum kicks around the room and it sounded great. Seemed like a pretty rudimentary use of the technology but I can imagine that in the future music written specifically for the system could be properly ground breaking.

I'm surprised to say that it didn't just feel like a commercial money pit. It felt like an extremely professionally run club who's sole aim was to provide a top quality clubbing night out with no aggravations. Everything was designed for the punter to get on with their night, enjoy the tunes and have a good time with minimal intrusion from security and short queues for toilets, bar and cloakroom.

Ooh, I made it into one of LE's photos :D
    [​IMG]

plurker, ddraig and ska invita like this.
  7. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

sounds like an ambisonics set up? always wanted to have a play with one of them. heard a guy called gerald do a set on one at glastonbury in '11, the perception of sound in 3 dimensions is incredible but it doesn't lend itself to music IMO. maybe someone will start making music specially for these systems but it's been about since the 70s and hasn't taken yet... would love it to replace dolby surround as standard for film.

8. ringo

Sounds quite similar Dolby Atmos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Music industry types gushing

London Elekricity intro

9. ska invita

10. ska invita

Im looking for you - have you been caught out without your hands in the air? ;)

ringo likes this.
  11. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

you don't do raves in Dobly...
    Still Yousef has been working with them for 2 weeks on this so i'm sure it will be as revolutionary as all their branding experts claim. i'd have probably named it Bro Logic myself.

12. ringo

I'm not a joiner :D

ska invita likes this.
  13. ska invita

you and me both :thumbs:
    "when I say x, you say Y!" = No

Boycey and ringo like this.
  14. ska invita

has anyone been to the Troxy?
    Went past it yesterday and it was looking very smart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got this coming up at it
    [​IMG]

15. Boycey

had a venue opened up next to my place last year (full disclosure- i know the guys who run the place, make of that what you will), New River Studios N4. i've spun electro and breaks records with Moronik , been to rock gigs, seen grime acts, experimental noise with weird AV shit and been asked to remix the audio track from the little mermaid for an upcoming series of nights... think i've seen another urb on the bill :hmm:

reasonably priced drinks until the draught runs out, nice staff, eclectic music policy and LOUD soundsystem. i'm in favour.

edit: and a small ginger cat called Bagel that basically owns the place.

DJWrongspeed, rutabowa, pesh and 2 others like this.
  16. ska invita

Bar 512 in Dalston - any good? ANyone? Didnt you have a Distant Planet there once Moronik ??

17. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

yep, done a few gigs there, it's a stunning venue. and it sells burgers in the foyer.

ska invita likes this.
  18. Boycey

512 is a wicked little venue, not sure what the cost is, as with any venue, get known for a huge bar spend and the price tumbles. Never heard the in house rig, only the chillisound Martin audio set up which is immense in that space.

ska invita likes this.
  19. ska invita

wow sounds promising!
    Should be going to this if anyone fancies it - <Marcus Intalex headlining, Reinfroced Records DJ Stretch alongside
    Launch dnb at Bar 512
    [​IMG]

Boycey likes this.
  20. Boycey

Mr Chillisound is currently galavanting around SE Asia with his family but I have it on good authority that his toys are there.

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Love that place.

Boycey likes this.
  22. Boycey

Let us know if you're heading there, i'm right next to it :)

rutabowa likes this.
  23. Boycey

Re:512, on the bus there now, if the big toys are in there they'll still be there until march. Anyone else doing Don't?

24. ska invita

Whats the date of that Boycey?

25. Boycey

It was last night, couldn't keep it going all night as I'm being a vaguely good boy for the time being and I've been working my arse off this week. The first 3 acts I caught tore the place a new one, could barely feel my legs on the bus home around 3:30am.

kalidarkone and ska invita like this.
  26. ska invita

Great Suffolk Street Warehouse - anyone been? Somewhere else I want to get to soon...

27. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Yeah, went to a Drumcode thing there - barebones arches venue, decent enough :)

ska invita likes this.
  28. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

plurker and ska invita like this.
  29. ska invita

I remember hearing about this book when it came out - possibly even reading about it on urban. Ive got a daydream of opening my own small but perfectly formed club - its stories like his that really put me off (or give me an excuse ;) ) - I know it was Brixton post riots, so a particularly dodgy time, but in my imagination being able to deal with gangsters and other hardnuts is likely a part of the running of any venue in a big city, dont you reckon? Not something I really want to deal with...

What do you think? If you run a dance music venue today will you get a knock from some mob or other, asking for protection money or trying to run door, or sell drugs etc?

30. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

as long as they sort me mates rates for some drugs, then I'd be happy

;-)