'Music has got too girly' declares prize twat Bono

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Dec 29, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

spikey_r, Maharani and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I don't like modern pop music at all*. Too much autotune glissando and shit self obsessed lyrics. But all of it, even Jedward, is better than U2.

*I am middle aged and grumpy. I am aware that my views on young people's music are incredibly uninformed and ignorant and I'm okay with that.

3. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Says the man who hired Adele's producer in a desperate bid to sound relevant.

Honestly, the man's such a tool. If I could get the albums without his vocals on, I would.

4. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Bellendry is my new word of the week. They should use it more on Radio 4.

Anyway, it's not girly, it's whiny but I don't suppose he'd recognise that trait in others.

5. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Good thing he won Glamour magazine's 'woman of the year' last year for his unstinting services to feminism , the great bollock.

6. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Thankfully we walked out of their first tour as we thought they were dreadful.
    And have lived happily without them to this day.

Lazy Llama and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

As opposed to the raw engine oil soaked masculine macho roar of 'One'?*

*possibly is the best U2 song tho, just for the line 'did you come here to play jesus to the lepers in your head'

lol

spikey_r and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Like Bono has ever understood what rock 'n' roll is all about....or any other music come to that.

Kaka Tim and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  9. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Metal needs nore birds. Fuck pop radio 1, bono dinasaur kack. Diversify or die.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I think more music should identify as a woman.

bogbrush and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  11. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Haven't we had tons of music by and for angry men? Maybe its time for angry women to have their say.

12. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Weirdest girl group I ever saw was Bitchcraft. They drew a very high proportion of men to their gigs and claimed to be witches. They did a lot of shouting too. Crap music though.

Edit to correct Rockbitch was the band, Bitchcraft the show.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Pickman's model likes this.
  13. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

The more girly the music the better: Bono has lost his mind.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  14. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Dislike some of U2. But what is "girly" in the context of music. Tell me.

bubblesmcgrath and Celyn like this.
  15. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Bono wrote to Captain Beefheart asking to collaborate.

Beefheart sent back a letter that said, "Dear Bongo, no."

16. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Tools tend to have a discernable purpose.

17. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

There is literally no insult the literal meaning of which can't be construed as unreasonably complimentary to the man. He's just a fucking Bono.

18. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Bono.
    Trying to talk like an intellectual about male teenage angst...then criticises bands for not being more angst ridden and angry.
    Fails to see that they're just not as angst ridden as his generation and their music reflects that.
    Bono is a proper knob.

mx wcfc likes this.
  19. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

The way he’s phrased it is completely wrong but I kind of agree with the sentiment. Let me rephrase it for him. Popular music, the kind kids listen to, has lost its edge. I have to endure absolute radio every day at work. I grew up with nirvana, pearl jam, pumpkins. They would never get airplay now if they came on the scene as new acts. Music should challenge you. I appreciate bono is not exactly the best spokesman for that view although their very early stuff did have a bit of angst.

Ed Sheeran. Let’s leave it at that shall we.

dogDBC and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  20. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Still rate Passengers as their best output, even if they did chicken out of using the U2 name.

21. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Yeah but him describing it as "girly" in what can only be a derogatory way is quite shit...
    It's not like he was praising it.
    He could have phrased it differently. Why make it about "girls"?.
    He's a dinosaur.

Fez909, Celyn, bimble and 2 others like this.
  22. krtek a houby

Bonosaurus

23. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Yep. He may as well describe it as a bit ‘gay’. He’s a prize idiot..

But does he have a point? In a clumsy way? He mentions pearl jam. Alive was a very dark song. Likewise teen spirit and come as you are. I don’t hear that kind of angry shit anymore in the mainstream, although of course it’s out there. Ironically the reason I don’t hear it is largely down to streaming services and perhaps having too much choice out there for one or two powerful voices to be heard.

But then I’m a dinosaur too I guess.

dogDBC and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  24. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I think you're wrong, Reiabuzz. Yes, there have been a few brief 'golden ages' when stuff with more substance forced its way into the mainstream: thanks to Smells Like Teen Spirit, of course, in the period you're talking about. But for the vast majority of the history of popular music, the larger proportion of it has been fluff. It's easy to remember the stuff that's endured, and forget that at the time you had to wade through tons of other shite to get to it. Teen Spirit itself fought out the 1991 charts with the inane likes of I'm Too Sexy and Everything I Do (I Do It for You), and Enigma's Gregorian-chants-for-Volvo-drivers.

e2a: I concede I may be swayed here by the fact that I think Alive is fucking dire, and frankly would rather listen to Right Said Fred.

25. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I don't remember much music I liked being played on the Radio in 90s when I was growing up. Sure the bands you mentioned did, but most of it was unremarkable pop.

26. krtek a houby

Jane's Addiction, Pixies, Primal Scream, Pulp, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy - those were some of the best early 90s stuff going on. Honorable mentions to MBV, but I wasn't a fan until a few years later.

27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

The only good thing to come out of britpop was Pulp. I watched it all rise, from the ashes of grunge it was the new thing, cool brittania. Up its own arse shite in the end although be here now is still a good album.
    You've always had to look for raw haven't you? dunno how I'm defining raw here but ykwim.
    even marylin manson didn't get any airplay over here BITD and his carnival satanist stuff wasn't particularly raw...'cake and sodomy' sounded wonderfully transgressive and clever when I was but a boy, but now...

28. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Is there a mainstream artist with regular airplay putting out something like Common People? No. Not as far as I can tell. The idiots in the office don’t seem to even realise what it’s about.

As for Alive. Well. It’s not exactly bedtime reading if you know the backstory. Arctic monkeys are perhaps the only band with currency that gets away with that kind of shit on absolute.

29. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

It's hard for me to read that without numerous Sleaford Mods tracks leaping into my mind :D

Mattym and bogbrush like this.
  30. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

....and is he just talking about the charts? There's plenty of interesting music out there with something to say.

He's just talking for the sake of it. Bet he never really listens to much at all. Too busy with his financial adviser (who probably has absolute radio on in the back ground at his office).