Munk Debate: Be it resolved what you call political correctness I call progress...

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Beats & Pieces, May 22, 2018.

1. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

2. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

What is it?

3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Jordon fucking Peterson, again. :rolleyes:

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

editor likes this.
  5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

peterson and fry make a better point than the other two

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. Pickman's model

yet you can't name three. pisspoor b&p

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  8. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Jordan Peterson being called a mean old white man

Jordan Peterson being invited to the pastors church for a knees up.

The verbose thesaurus gobbling rhetoric of the pastor, loads of words no message

Stephen Fry, for being Stephen fry

Apart from that a rubbish debate

9. Pickman's model

yeh. do you also post as Beats & Pieces?

10. bellaozzydog

Sorry did I disturb you mid beef?

teuchter and NoXion like this.
  11. Pickman's model

here's a tip: when someone asks someone else a question they might not want it answered by you. wouldn't be surprised if you made yourself popular doing this down the pub, jumping into other people's conversations and that.

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  12. bellaozzydog

I suggest you re-analyse your understanding of Internet forum discussion threads:D

Ask me one on sport

Wookey, Maggot, teuchter and 5 others like this.
  13. Pickman's model

i suggest you reread my post until you actually understand it.

14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

What are the multitude of reasons we need to watch a right wing academic being a right wing academic?

15. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

16. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

liked this for thinking mans dale gribble. Seymour does love how much theory he's read sometimes but this was funny.

seventh bullet and JimW like this.
  17. bellaozzydog

Another reason to keep watching him is the hope that someone gets wheeled out who can counter his positions and dent his air of certainty.

There’s a lot of noise being made about him there must be someone smart enough to challenge some of his stuff.

I’ve already posted my opinion of him somewhere on u75. Having watched his videos/podcasts and read his second book I find him a bit repeatative, messianic and unstable in his writing and his lectures, I certainly don’t agree with his 12 rules as anything other than rejigged platitudes.

You have to tip your hat to his performances in combative interviews and debates, which brings me back to my first point which is, where are critics when it comes to fronting him out in debate/discussions.

Who is going to step up and slay the dragon on his home turf.

I think the main issue is it would be lengthy and unpalatable for mainstream viewing and so we are left with short format, sound bite style combat and no satisfaction.

It would help if people didn’t try and take him down with ill prepared third hand opinions of his words which seem to get amplified and twisted as they are told/spread through journalistic pieces, this falls into his favourite defence, which is “I didn’t say that” “I choose my words very very carefully”

It’s fascinating and entertaining to watch him.

Predictions
    I’m thinking he’ll either have a break down, start a cult or someone will shoot him in the face at a public lecture

18. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I must lead a sheltered life. I've literally only heard of him a couple of times, both on here.

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I have used a like here to show that my experience mirrors Danny's.
    ETA. Though I have now rendered it somewhat superfluous by also posting to that effect.

20. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

You're one time ahead of me

21. danny la rouge

Miss-Shelf, Edie and pogofish like this.
  22. bellaozzydog

Wookey and Celyn like this.
  23. danny la rouge

Beats & Pieces, you may be wondering what happened on this thread.

First, it is normal etiquette on these boards to provide a brief synopsis of what is in a link or video, and why you think it relevant. While you may get away with not doing so during the thrust of a thread, to open a thread in this way leaves people unclear about what it is you want to discuss. It is unlikely that anyone is going to watch even a ten minute video in order to guess what your point of interest is, never mind a two hour one, as is the case here. It is simply both courteous to explain why you're posting the link, and actually more likely to get you relevant responses.

Secondly, your linked video contains a speaker who is clearly somewhat divisive. Because you have not told us anything about what he's said in this instance, and whether you agree or disagree with it, people are now focusing on the personality of this speaker and ruminating on the nature of his supporters in their experience. (I have no prior knowledge or experience of his support base, and still do not know whether you are one of these).

Thirdly, you have not come back to clarify. To date, your only contribution to this thread is a content-free and context-free OP, and some 'likes' (showing that while you are reading responses, you aren't contributing any further). The thread will therefore run off in whatever direction it pleases, and will probably then grind to a halt.

Fourthly, this is 'theory, philosophy & history', colloquially known as the Eggheads Forum. A degree of thought is expected here that may not be necessary in 'general', say. Because you have not provided this, responses are more likely to be jokey and dismissive. Have a look around at OPs of longer threads here. At least a modicum of thought has usually gone into them.

HTH

Maggot, ddraig, Ralph Llama and 4 others like this.
  24. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Plumdaff, yield, Celyn and 5 others like this.
  25. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Oh dear. What has happened to Beats & Pieces the towering intellect of u75?

NoXion likes this.
  27. bellaozzydog

That's a bit more like it. He isn't keen when he is challenged by a more adept interviewer and intellect

He seems happy sitting back armadillo like on his reductive "twelve rules" but the interviewers use of "Parochial" with reference to his specific interest in university SJW students hit the mark

Claiming he didn't know what solidarity was could be a disingenuous debating technique or a scary snapshot of his mind, i'm presuming he does know but his space lizard psych doesn't want to recognise it as a positive human characteristic

NoXion likes this.
  28. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

We do have a rule about not just posting threads with links/videos without explanation or what you think of them, so if you could do that it would be grand.

ddraig and MadeInBedlam like this.
  29. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

What a load of Harry Munk

30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Self awareness is a beautiful thing.

Maggot likes this.