1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to mirrorless: Fuji xe-2 or Olympus omd em10

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kropotkin, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

I had a look at one of those XE-2 things. Very tasty. Love the Fuji lens ergonomics too. Actual aperture rings and everything. Some even have distance markings.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
    I seem to be heading now for the OMD E-M10 after starting out very pro-Fuji. The IBIS is very attractive, as is the tilting screen and in-built wifi. I haven't yet held an XE-2, but I tried out the XE-1 and the OMD in John Lewis at the weekend and preferred the ergonomics of the OMD.

It is a difficult call to make! I'll be wedded to a system once purchased, for realistically at least the next 5 years. I'm tempted to wait until Photokina in September to see if prices change or there is some new game-changer released in my budget...

editor likes this.
  3. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

If they were the same price I think would have gone for the OM-D myself, but it was going to work out at least 200 quid more than the x-e1. At the time, the equivalent priced olympus was the epl5 and that's nowhere near as nice.

Never regretted it. Slightly miss IBS for my prime lens but it's at least two stops faster than the OM-D kit lens at that length so it's not really an issue. Really depends on what you're intending to shoot but I think you can go wrong with either system.

There's currently 200 quid cashback on x-e2 and 100 cashback on x-t1s http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/promotions/

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The lack of lens is a major drawback for the X-e2.

5. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

It's the price of lenses that does it for me. I just looked, thinking maybe I would take the 200 cashback when you buy two lenses and they're extortionate. The 10-24 is 829 and the 14mm is £669, which puts any sort of ultrawide out of anyone remotely normals price range imo, unless you go the samyang fisheye route.

There's more choice at more pricepoints for lenses on 4/3

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

what range of lenses do you see yourself wanting?

The 18-55 kit lenses are so good there's little reason to upgrade unless you want a prime for some reason (speed & size are the only ones that really matter here - the IQ is that amazing in the kit lenses. The 18mm end of the 18-55 is better than the 18mm prime according to photozone.de! Admittedly, that's their worst prime, the 23, 27 & 35 are all better than the kit zoom) . I think I'm going to buy the cheaper constructed but almost-as-good-iq-wise 16-50 kit lens for £140 quid off ebay just so I can use the 16mm (24mm equiv) end.

Sorry about the waffly post, but I was facing almost the exact same choice a few months ago.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Another thing to consider is the fact the JPGs from the FUJI are excellent. Great straight out of the camera means I never bother with raw, which is a fantastic time saver. Not sure about the OM-D, perhaps ed could comment on that.

8. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Wow- I hadn't seen the new XE2 promotion! thanks. Dammit that might make it more difficult...

Lens wise, on my Canon APS-c I had 50mm 1.8 Canon prime (wonderful), 2.8-4.5 17-70 Sigma (OK, bought as replacement for crap Canon kit lens but not actually that much better), 75-300mm canon telezoom (Not very good, rarely used) and the excellent 100mm f2.8 Canon Macro.

I ended up mostly using the 50mm prime and the walkaround 17-70.

I'd be looking to get similar setups with either the fuji or olympus: good walkaround lens and a fast prime at 50-70mm FF equivalence.

9. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

The 35mm f1.4 fuji prime has excellent reviews and the normal 18-50 f2.8-4 fuji kit knocks the socks of that cannon kit lens and sigma. Both have IS and are all metal iirc. The prime is one of their more 'reasonable' lenses at just over 400 quid, or 340 quid new from uk sellers on ebay. 35 might not be long enough for you though, depends. I really like my 27mm pancake fwiw.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between an x-e1 and x-e2, but the x-e1 is waaay cheaper again. you could get it with those lenses above plus the 50-230 for a grand I think.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've no complaints at all. I think the OM-D is a wonderful camera.

11. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

After a lot of thought I've bought the omd with a twin lens kit on grey import. Should get it next week. Thanks for everyone's advice

fractionMan and editor like this.
  12. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

I bought the Canon Eos M a couple of weeks ago and have been very happy with the results but the battery leaves a lot to be desired being good for only a day / 200 shots.

Tankus likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That is very poor indeed.

14. Tankus

Tankus random farter

How you getting on with the eos m ....chandlerp ?.....just seen it in argos (Mk1) with a speed light flash and 18/55mm equiv for £199.....and I've got £80 on my nectar card which Argos take

The urge is strong with this one obiwan

Pair of batts around a tenner ?

15. chandlerp

I like it very much. The battery life isn't great as I've said before but the pictures are top quality. I've since bought one for my girlfriend and a couple of mates have bought them too. All from Argos for £199.

16. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Battery life is always shitty with mirrorless cameras, though 200 is particularly crap. It just means carry another battery as standard tbh.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I get a pretty good life of around 350 shots from my OM-D. That's good enough for me, I think.

18. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Same from my xe-1

19. chandlerp

Over the last few months I've been getting more like 300 shots. I think it was likely due to me not switching the camera off very often and having the screen on very bright.

20. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Just bought one from Argos today...as well .... Had £80 of nectar points so it set me back £120.... Result

Only had silver left though ...charge the bat overnight and have a pop tomorrow.

dweller likes this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That will do it. With my GF2 I have the screen set at lowest brightness and turning itself off after the lowest length of time. I try to only use the EVF on the G5.

22. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Blimey....low light conditions seem superb.... Quite a step up in sensitivity over my old eos 450

23. chandlerp

Oh definitely. I haven't even used the flashgun yet.

Tankus likes this.
  24. Tankus

Tankus random farter

took some nightshots tonight just walking home from the station
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

theres a night burst ...which takes 4 shots in a second and then merges them into a jpeg for handheld nightshots .....those are the above ....this would have needed a tripod with my old eos ..
    well impressed

dweller, fractionMan and weltweit like this.
  25. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

This would also reduce noise in the image, which tends to be more noticeable in these sort of images. I really like the last shot.

fractionMan likes this.
  26. Tankus

Tankus random farter

the fast shutter speed keeps it sharp too ,,,,the new LED street lights do make for a more interesting shot

27. Tankus

Tankus random farter

bit more practice with it now ....it doesn't feel right in the hand ... the best hand position blocks the AF assist beam .....I've got the adaptor so I can run my old ef lenses on it

18mm
    [​IMG]

55mm
    [​IMG]

250mm
    [​IMG]

It needs a viewfinder as in bright light its a bit pants on the 3" screen ....going to order a 3" screen shade methinks ......glad I didn't buy this outright as I was so intending to do when it came out 3 years ago at £600 plus... its good for what I paid for it though.
    I've had some nice panos and pleasing shots ...the sensor and autofocus is a step up from the old eos 450 .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  28. Tankus

Tankus random farter

but moving objects are a real challenge ...its not intuitive , and very hit and miss
    [​IMG]

I'm looking at hot shoe viewfinders ...the prices are a bit mad though .... new camera bag is considerably smaller, half the size of my old slingshot .. Camera nexus7 and 250 mm lens only
    [​IMG]

but I'm not 100% sold ...which is a surprise considering how much cameras have changed in the last 8 years since my old eos 450

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You can get those bags super cheap on 7 Day shop.

30. Tankus

Tankus random farter

paid £12 ...great manbag ..... nexus 7 just about fits in the rear pocket.... camera and gubbins fit in the front ..

Last edited: May 19, 2015