1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Berlin?

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Thimble Queen, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Still more red tape to untangle, health insurance will be the biggie. I'm in the process of buying a flat and hope to be in by March. Alfie is still with friends in London and I miss him terribly. I'll bring him over once I'm in the flat and once I've done some renovation work it needs.

Thimble Queen and trabuquera like this.
  2. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

So where's good for clubbing in Berlin? Want to experience the liberal atmosphere (and get some house/techno) but not wanting to waste time queueing for someplace with a 50% chance of getting in... Is there something on every night or is it just weekends?

3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Little update on my life out here....

I've been here 9 months now and settling pretty well. Unfortunately I haven't found any permanent work although I've done a few bits here and there to keep us topped up and my OH is working full time now.

We are getting by just about. There's no way we could survive on this money in London. The cheaper rent makes such a massive difference. Transport costs and alcohol are also low here compared to London.

I'm keeping myself busy, doing some pro bono consultancy for a volunteer-led refugee charity over here. I'm also involved in an anti-racist campaign and I'm going to German lessons twice a week. My German is still fairly basic. I can deal with routine every day situations and I can express myself in simple straightforward ways. Although the consumption of alcohol tends to help enormously in my ability in German.

I still miss my friends but without the regular devastating homesickness and grief I experienced when I first arrived. Those days are few and far between at the moment.

The cat has settled in well and seems mostly quite content. She's even going to the toilet outside more now.

I'm considering applying for a masters. It's basically free over here, you get your health insurance paid and you get tax breaks. So it will improve my situation as a freelancer here and fulfil a long standing ambition of mine.

Spring has sprung and the city is really coming to life. I'm really looking forward to the summer.

Reno glad to hear you got Alfie over ok in the end. Best of luck to both of you :)

Johnny Vodka only try Berghain if you can blag yourself on to the list. Its not worth the hassle if you can't get in!

4. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

That was lovely to read

5. Thimble Queen

Thank you x

6. Johnny Vodka

24 hours in Berlin and really not getting the hype so far..

7. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

more drink is needed

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  8. moonsi til

I am visiting for first time in October probably Thurs-Mon. Going to see Nick Cave on Oct 22nd but otherwise don't have a clue what else. Also need to book accommodation. I have ordered a guide book - I do like a guide book so tend to buy them including for UK.

Any suggestions on where to stay and what not to miss please say. Going with my partner so walking, art, shopping esp music, drinking & gigs but prob not clubs.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  9. Thimble Queen

I can recommend some things to do, see and eat :) I'll drop you some links tomorrow.

moonsi til likes this.
  10. flyingpig

flyingpig New Member

wise words!

11. Johnny Vodka

Messed up my leg walking too far on the first day, back from Potsdamer Pl (saw the Dali exhibition) to north east Prenzlauer Berg.. Yesterday didn't do much more than hobble around looking for food and drink locally. Some nice wee bars. Leg is still fucked but going to try and make it to contemporary arts museum today and maybe see what goes on around Kreuzberg and Berghain area, even if Berghain itself looks like a no, tho been given a tip of trying 11am Sunday..

12. Thimble Queen

moonsi til

I love the bar Das Gift. It's owned by Mogwai and sells cider (normally Stowford Press or Aspell's) and they do lush food as well.

There's a canalside by called Freischwimmer that is also really nice. It serves delicious flammkuchen.

Festaal K'burg is worth checking for gigs. They have interesting stuff going on there.

I also like the bar Ankerklause also by a canal. There's a street market just outside, on a Friday I think, which is great for people watching.

Check out bear pit kareoke on a Sunday in Mauer Park. The vintage stuff at the flea market there is pretty overpriced. Its incredibly touristy but there are some interesting jewelry and accessories on sale.

Do you eat meat?

If so I recommend burgers from Burgermeister

And chicken from Henne

If you're already in Neukolln then check out Al Andalos on Sonnenalle (no. 40, I think). They do amazing food both meat and veggie. Their halloumi wraps are FIT and only €1.50 and they come in proper bread.

spitfire and moonsi til like this.
  13. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

The veggie burgers at Burgermeister are also really good.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  14. moonsi til

Thank you so much Thimble Queen
    I am veggie but partner sometimes eats meat and we both love cider!

15. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

This pic was taken at Freischwimmer!

[​IMG]

The lunch buffet thing was ace and it's just a really, really nice place to sit and pass some time, eh (apart from the wasps :mad: ) - and they didn't even mind when the kids kept going back to get more bread to feed the birds :cool:

Callie likes this.
  16. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I didn't go in to it but noticed that Berlin has a vegetarian/no meat butchers.