Movie about Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by hile, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills Well-Known Member

There' also Paris Brixton - a short that was filmed close to CHL.

Being only 10 mins or so in duration, there isn't much of a plot; bloke breaks into girls flat and they start a relationship.

That's about it I'm afraid.

2. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

I saw that Paris Brixton film. It was total shit. Just some stuck-up cow romanticising Brixton and floating thru on her way to being stuck-up and clueless somewhere else. It really was insulting and utter crap.

From Britfilms.com:

"It's a liaison dangereuse: Amanda, a fantasist besotted with Baudelaire and nouvelle vague cinema; Mike, tough but sensitive..."

Oh piss off. :p

3. squidlet

squidlet New Member

But with Norman Beaton ! Now, he didn't have far to travel to get on set, as he used to live on the top end of Coldharbour Lane (the flats above where the print shop is I think)

More film / TV trivia - there was an episode of 'Hazel' filmed on Villa Rd in the 70's, which also did weird geographic things. A bloke jumped out of a back window straight into the middle of the market

4. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

"Storm Damage" was brilliant, wish they'd show it again.

5. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Or a tape of Hazel, whatever that is.

7. shaundey

shaundey Active Member

best film i've ever seen featuring brixton is "babylon", early 80's starring brinsley forde out of aswad. in fact one of the best films i've ever seen full stop.

8. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

I saw "Black Joy" in the cinema when it was on general release. Being a country bumpkin from Hampshire I couldn't understand a word of it. Many years later I saw it on C4 and was amused to see that the 7 year-old rascal in the film was none other than the later to be Kelvin in EastEnders.

9. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Yeah, I agree. Top film - also featuring Karl Howman, later of Brush Strokes and currently of detergent advert fame.

10. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

Review of Babylon from Movie Database:

"Excellent film about Rastafarians, whites, and everyone else in the reggae underbelly of London. Rosso manages to cram a lifetime of excitement into 95 minutes. You'll recognize no one in the movie and that's what will make it seem more like a documentary than a drama. Although racial tension enters into the story, it is by no means the raison d'etre and it is treated as an element of a drama, not as the core. The story has to do with two rival musical groups battling against each other in a reggae competition. The characters who interact with the protagonist (Forde) and the events that take place (murder, mugging, beating, mayhem, etc.) are all so real that everyone connected with the movie must be congratulated for slicing life so well. Regrettably, the odds of seeing this interesting film uncut on TV are slim and the odds of finding it in any theater are even slimmer. A compelling look at a world most of us would never know."

Any one got Babylon on tape? :)