Motorbike suggestions

Discussion in 'transport' started by RubyToogood, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Elvis Parsley

Elvis Parsley http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodnting

nice choice rubes, looks like a good-un and you'll be sorted for cheap parts should you need them in the future.

2. Pingu

Pingu Credo

from the exhasut i would say its an R6

3. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Yeah, an R6. I think those were customer's bikes awaiting service etc.

4. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

D Day is Monday! :eek:

5. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

that's a nice looking ride RubyToogood, I like the old GTs.
    I've still got the Bros I was selling on p.1 of this thread, couldn't bring myself to sell her in the end :rolleyes: all good for a winter hack!

6. RubyToogood

The best thing about this bike is that it doesn't require me to have a drastic change of image. If I'd got the very expensive Super Four I'd have had to lose a few stone and buy a sexy set of leathers, whereas on a GT550 a rather out of condition person in a greying hi-vis vest is exactly what you'd expect to see.

7. RubyToogood

It arrived this morning... blokey really did turn out to be very nice, his phone manner was quite misleading. He'd brought his old mum and the dog down for the ride too! As he opened the van doors my face went :D Very, very nice looking bike.

I took it for a spin at lunchtime. It's dead comfy and feels very natural to ride. It had a little low speed wobble so I took it down to my mechanic who looked it over, diagnosed not enough air in the front tyre and said it was the cleanest GT550 he'd ever seen.

:D :D :D

8. stupid dogbot

Yay! :cool: :cool:

Have fun, ride safe, enjoy your new friend. :)

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Well done. GT550 are very reliable machines.

10. weltweit

And no need to faff about with chains..

11. RubyToogood

I really do love it. It's not just transport, it's clearly going to be a pride and joy.

I think it's going to take me a while to get the knack of parking it in hilly terrain mind. There's none of that being able to reverse up a hill with your feet if your angle is wrong - you've got to rely on the engine to move you.

12. RubyToogood

So here is what I have learned from this chapter:

1. If you don't want a 600cc+ sports bike, tough. That's all there is.
    2. Always buy the hpi report.
    3. People are not selling decent bikes because people are not buying bikes just cos they fancy a new one. What there is on the market is by and large a complete pile of crap.
    4. Although people ARE selling impractical luxury bikes because they now can't afford them.
    5. You can check a vehicle's MOT history from 2005 online, which enables you to check the mileage. Do this.
    6. Always buy the hpi report.
    7. Ebay has in some ways made life harder as you have to think national. You can't necessarily get what you want down the road any more, because someone from Inverness will have bought it first. This is a fucking pain in the arse.
    8. You can tell a lot about a bike just from its superficial condition and what the owner is like.
    9. Most bike sellers are really nice people. But always buy the hpi report.

13. weltweit

When parking on a slope, I always leave it in gear and rest the bike on the rear wheel before resting it on the side stand. (obviously unless I am using the centre stand) I could have worded that better sorry.

14. RubyToogood

It's not so much that... you'd have to see the approach to my parking spot on the front path to see what I mean.

15. weltweit

Oh ok :)

16. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I have recently been contemplating getting a cheap motorbike to get about.

However, I am absolutely massive (6'8"). Wondering if I'd even get on one?! I should try sitting on the next one I see I guess.

17. stupid dogbot

Get a 'Busa... :cool:

18. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

You might be okay with a BMW R-series without a fairing, as my mate Ken (6'6.5") managed to ride one without kneeing himself in the chin.

19. weltweit

Some of the Triumphs are pretty big bikes....

I have a (not so extreme) problem, I am 6'2" and although I would dearly love a 916 (if I could afford the purchase price) they are like toy bikes for me :)

20. RubyToogood

Pop down to your nearest second hand bike dealer and try sitting on a few things, see how things fit. Is it possible to get bikes raised or footpegs moved? I know you can get bikes lowered if you're short, and I would have thought it was possible to get a custom style bike and move the pegs even further forward. Maybe.

Some trail bikes are also really tall.

Edit to say, I really don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make a seat thicker in some way, thus increasing the height. Although the bars might be at an uncomfortable angle then I suppose. You'd also want quite a heavy bike I think, with a low centre of gravity, to avoid being top heavy on it.

21. stupid dogbot

Yeah, some of the enduros are pretty tall...

Yammy TDM:

[​IMG]

for example.

22. RubyToogood

Meanwhile I'm really loving the new bike.

Not loving the hassle of trying to sell the old one however. Haven't had any luck on Gumtree so am going to have to try ebay, which is a bit daunting as I've never sold anything on ebay before. I really just want to get shot of it now.

23. RubyToogood

Well it lasted me 7 years, and would probably go on lasting me longer, except that the impending ULEZ in spring 2018 means I'll have to sell it and get something else to comply with the emissions regulations.

So I'm reviving this thread, if anyone wants to suggest to me a nice emissions compliant, probably classic-looking bike suitable for lugging a lot of stuff around on.

24. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Enfield Himalayan. It doesn't have fuel injection though which may be a problem depending on whether or not you enjoy getting carb cleaner in your eyes.

upload_2018-3-7_7-50-20.png

Guzzi V7 iii if your budget will allow.

upload_2018-3-7_7-51-16.png

RubyToogood likes this.
  25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

What's your budget?

26. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

I used to despatch on a GT550. It wasn't as shiny as Ruby's. Be aware that bikes of that age will soon have to pay a fortune to enter the ultra low emissions zone in London Ultra Low Emission Zone

Eta..oops, I've been time travelling and borked my brane.

RubyToogood likes this.
  27. RubyToogood

I haven't investigated prices that much yet but towards the lower end of what will get me something reliable.

I suspect prices may do weird things in the run up to ULEZ. I don't know how desirable the GT will be in London when I come to sell it. I would also assume that compliant bikes will be more expensive because newer. I'm not expecting this to be a cheap exercise :(

28. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

I accidentally drape my lock and chain over my number plate to defeat cameras. So I won't be paying ULEZ.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  29. RubyToogood

Guzzi gorgeous but too expensive.

Enfield interesting but are they reliable?

30. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I've noticed one of the bikes I've got, a Yamaha FZ6, has started to hold it's price and think it's due to being a compliant bike.
    There still some decent prices out there, for a classic looking bike the Kawasaki W800 looks good or maybe a Triumph Bonneville.