1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorbike suggestions

Discussion in 'transport' started by RubyToogood, Apr 10, 2009.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

It's been an education for me and all. I had NO IDEA it was going to be this much hassle. The other two times I've just picked a couple of things out of Loot and bought either the first or second one I saw.

Incidentally the GT550 where the seller's stopped talking to me does look quite promising. It's from 2001 with 18,000 miles on the clock. But it's in Warminster (Wiltshire). I was hoping my friend in Bristol might go and have a look but it's a bit of a trek and he hasn't got a spare day at the moment. We don't know any bikey types in that neck of the woods do we?
  2. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

I'm also in Bristol, and would be willing to have a look with you, if you like.
  3. RubyToogood

That's really kind! The only problem is that it would be "for" rather than "with" - it's an agoraphobia issue again. Even on the bike I'm not comfortable going far out of London. (Actually particularly on that bike as it doesn't care much even for 40mph... which I'm hoping a bigger bike will help with too).

I've just rung the trader who's selling the bike to grill him about its condition and history. He said it was a 7 out of 10 cosmetically but mechanically sound. He doesn't have the MOTs, only the service history which is stamped to 2004, and since then it's only done 500 miles and he reckons they stopped using it. I said "Hmm" to this and he gave me a lot of "You're from London aren't you, we're all honest as the day is long down here" stuff. He did offer me a 6 month warranty on it though. 3 previous owners, can't tell which was the one that "stopped using it". And other people had been to look at it but all wanted it much cheaper.

4. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

When I've recovered from the emotional and financial trauma I'm going to do a thread on my ebay Countach. It would have been cheaper and easier to research and build a time machine, go back to 1977 and buy it new.

I now return you to your scheduled RTG motorbike buying thread.

Have you considered any 247 engine beemers? Maybe a sweet R80G/S?
  5. stupid dogbot

Well, I don't mind going for a ride down to Warminster. PM me the details if you'd like and I'll see if he's around sometime to arrange. I can go have a look, and give you an honest opinion.

Although... unless he'll deliver it, you're going to need to arrange collection or riding down if you decide to buy one away from London.
  6. Pingu

Pingu Credo

as a slight aside i decide dlast year to do a project bike..

I have always wanted an 1100 katana - depite them actually being a big pile of pooh to ride.

finding one in do upable condition yet not a total write off is proving difficult for under the gdp of a small afican nation
  7. stupid dogbot

Blimey, I can't even remember the last time I saw a Katana. One of those bikes that were on all of our "must get one of those when we're grown up" lists.

Funnily enough, by the time we were actually grown up, they weren't so popular any more.
  8. Pingu

Pingu Credo

tbh the 19" front wheel meant a fair few of them ended up in hedges
  9. stupid dogbot

Things like that don't worry you when you're a 16 year old with a DT50 and a head full of fantasies... :D ;)
  10. RubyToogood

Yes, I discussed delivery with him and he doesn't want an arm and a leg.
    I don't know really - the asking price is near the top of what Parker's says for a bike of that year, and if he himself only rates it as 7/10, and it hasn't got much history to back up the mileage, I can see why others have tried to haggle him down. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

His attempts to reassure me rather had the opposite effect. All Del Boy with a Wiltshire accent.

There's bugger all on gumtree and ebay today, probably because of the bank hol. Maybe September will bring them out of the woodwork...
  11. stupid dogbot

Well, if I were to turn up on the R1, I'm sure he'd play that up thinking I was the weekend warrior type... rather than a former car trader, mechanic and vehicle assessor...

Let me know if you want me to. :)
  12. RubyToogood

I'll PM you a link to the advert, but I'm inclined to pass (and save your kind offer for later possibly!) as I've also found this thread on ebay which backs up my theory about the bike I saw last weekend WRT to clocking of GT550s and disposing of old MOTs.

Had the trader been able to say to me that it was the same owner who had run up some of the miles on it and then "stopped using it" I might have been a bit more trusting, but he didn't know who had owned it when.

(Mrs Magpie, if she's reading, will recognise my Miss Marple tendencies coming out now!)
  13. Janh

Janh signs might be omens

I just helped a friend drag this out from the back of a garage.
  14. stupid dogbot

Less of a dream than I remember, to be honest...
  15. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

You always were a good sleuth!
  16. RubyToogood

Getting there... hopefully!

I discovered today that you can check a vehicle's MOT history online back to 2005 (when they computerised it) if you have the registration number and either the document number of the V5 or the number of one of the MOT certificates. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539

Well worth knowing.
  17. Pingu

Pingu Credo

this is what it should look like

18. stupid dogbot

So, have you called him?

Pingu, that's much better. :cool:
  19. RubyToogood

I've only bin and gone and done it :eek: :eek:

I have put my deposit down on the GT550 in Warminster, which stupid dogbot VERY kindly went to look at for me :cool::cool::cool: and I should be getting it end of next week or beginning of the week after.

Dogbot thought it was in decent condition, and with the above website I was able to look at the MOT history - and found that apart from this year's there was none. I was expecting that, as it won't have needed an MOT for its first 3 years anyway, and after that with so few miles on it it must have been SORNed. That's why there weren't any MOT certificates - because it hadn't been MOTed till this year. (Well there might be a missing year before the system went computerised.)

In a way you don't want a bike that's been standing for ages, because it's not too good for them, but it's run up 1000 miles since the MOT so it must be running ok.

It does go against the grain to buy a bike without seeing it, but at the end of the day I decided I'm in a better position than I've been in before buying a bike, because the seller being a trader gives me protection under both the distance selling regulations (7 day cooling off period from receipt of goods) and the (I think) Sale of Goods Act (must be fit for purpose etc etc). Worst case scenario is I return the bike and have to pay the courier.

This has all been far too educational, and I hope this bike lasts for a long, long time, because I don't want to go through this again in a hurry!
  20. stupid dogbot

Fwiw, it does genuinely seem like a nice, clean bike. The dealer seemed honest and decent, too - he was arm deep in oil and smiling when I turned up, and the first thing he said was "you're noisy, aren't you?". :D

Glad to help, RT. :)
  21. FunkyUK

FunkyUK u=5337

Excellent Stuff Ruby. well chuffed for you. betcha cant to get out and riding? enjoy your new steed :)
  22. RubyToogood

Not going to get the new bike for a while, as the restrictor kit has to come from Germany...

Bloke was saying he might deliver the bike himself, which would be interesting, as dogbot seems to have described me to him as being "quite small" which is not a description anyone who has ever met me would give :D
  23. stupid dogbot

I did? :confused: :oops:

He's probably remembered me saying "she doesn't want too big a bike" and put two and two together...

24. Elvis Parsley

Elvis Parsley http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodnting

congratulations Rubes. if your new bike lasts half as long as this thread has, you'll have got a winner :D
  25. RubyToogood

Yeah well, if I can find something to object to in the new bike I reckon I could string the thread out to meet its second anniversary.

It should be with me beginning of next week, which is annoying as it means I'll have to sell the old bike with no T&T at all, but such is life.

Bit apprehensive about making the change, but at the weekend I found myself following a woman on a lovely antique Guzzi with springs under the seat. I stalked her for a bit because we were going the same way and she looked very comfy and confident, so that was quite confidence-inspiring. It's very rare that you see a woman on anything other than a scooter or a sports bike. Actually let's be honest - scooter.
  26. Janh

Janh signs might be omens

Am looking forward to seeing a picture of the lucky bike.
  27. stupid dogbot

Feel free to post one of the pics I sent you, Ruby. :)
  28. RubyToogood

I was going to ask you about that... I hope I'm not jinxing it by posting pictures before I've got it though :eek:

29. RubyToogood

Hold on... that's not an R1 in the background of the second one by any chance is it?
  30. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Nice, Ruby :cool: