Motorbike suggestions

Discussion in 'transport' started by RubyToogood, Apr 10, 2009.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

mp3? I did find myself eyeing one up today.

2. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

No, Peugeot Metropolis. The 2018 model is by all accounts superior to the MP3 (not that there’s anything wrong with the latter AFAIK) as well as being bigger, more comfy for both rider and pillion, and IMO better looking. But it’ll cost you about 1.5k more than the MP3. A new one is an eye watering 8 grand.

But it’s great. Better suspension, keyless entry, good power and torque thanks to its 400cc engine, and a lot of storage.

TBF I would have been perfectly happy with an MP3, but from past experience with Piaggios, the servicing and maintenance running costs were very high compared with the Honda and Peugeot scooters I’ve also owned. But it could be that the Piaggio garage I took it to was ripping me off.

3. RubyToogood

Can you park these in bike bays?

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Yes, it’s a bike for all legal classifications and purposes. But the front two wheels have to have a minimum separation for those with a car but not a motorcycle licence to ride them. Most of them do but a Japanese one- can’t remember the brand now but a a well-known one- has front wheels with insufficient separation so car licence holders cannot legally ride them. You also need to have had your driving licence before 2013 for a tedious red tape reason.

The other advantage (which is why they get special dispensation in the first place) is that they’re extremely stable and very safe compared with a two wheeler.

RubyToogood likes this.
  5. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

If I were ever going to do another long motorbike trip I'd do it on a Yamaha Niken GT. I sometimes think about getting one but always think Yamaha are going to do a DCT one so keep waiting...

RubyToogood likes this.
  6. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Well just checked that ULEZ regulations and both my Matchless and Norton fails . . . . I expected the Matchless to, heck to start I tickle about a pint of petrol on the floor, but I thought the Commando, with the Mikuni carb and Boyer I put on it would've been clean enough?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

What are the regs?

8. RubyToogood

Surely they're exempt as vintage?
    Have you put their registration plates into the checker?

9. OzT

yes I have. Matchless 433VHX and Commando XGS421L

10. RubyToogood

11. OzT

Oh thanks RubyToogood, I didn't see that, just put my regos in.

So, both my bikes, 1958 and 1975, are exempt if I read that correctly. Hope so, I don't go into town much, cept when I am heading to Essex abd back, as quicker than the M25 then over/under river.

Cheers!

12. RubyToogood

It sounds like it's dependent on your bike(s) being recognised as historic on the tax system, so perhaps if they're not you have to sort that out - but technically they should be exempt. It looks like they haven't updated that page since the ULEZ started so it's possible there's a Facebook group somewhere where Matchless owners are comparing notes on how this is working out in practice.

pogofish and OzT like this.
  13. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Update to your question. For the first time since I bought the bike I went to Westminster. When I tried to pay for my parking the automatic voice system told me my model does not qualify.

Complete utter cunts Westminster are (the fact that they charge bikes por parking already proved that). Every other London borough classify them as bikes, as does TFL. So okay to park on bike bays everywhere, use motorcycle-friendly bus lanes, is exempted from the Congestion Charge... But if you work in Westminster you might want to give three wheelers a miss.

RubyToogood likes this.
  14. RubyToogood

Cheers for the update. I would want to go into Westminster, it's a big borough that covers lots of useful places. Good to be able to rule something out!

15. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

Just bought myself a Yamaha MT 125 for the commute, a few years old but got it for a song and more pleased with it than the YBR or similar I was expecting to get as it's a bit bigger/nice looking.

120 of mpg and 20 quid to tax and it will suit me fine for the Winter. :thumbs:

Duncan2, RubyToogood and Nivag like this.