Most People Don't Know What Lowercase "G" Looks Like

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by HAL9000, Apr 14, 2018.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

[​IMG]

Most People Don't Know What Lowercase "G" Looks Like And We're Not Even Kidding

"What we think may be happening here is that we learn the shapes of most letters in part because we have to write them in school," says senior author of the study, cognitive scientist Michael McCloskey.

"Looptail 'g' is something we're never taught to write, so we may not learn its shape as well."

According to the team, these findings support the idea that we don't really learn letters down to the fine details, but just enough so we can tell them apart.

existentialist likes this.
  2. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

Good point. I've always liked that form of the letter g, and its 'a' counterpart. But, faced with 4 possibilities, I'm slightly stumped as to which is the right one. 3 looks like it probably is.

ETA: having read the article, *phew* I was right :D

3. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

4. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Idiot.

5. PippinTook

Wtf?

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Brilliant :D:eek::hmm::facepalm:

7. Stanley Edwards

He had to read the article.

WTF you lot smoking?

8. Stanley Edwards

It is blatantly fucking obvious to anyone who can read.

9. PippinTook

The quoted article (which you didn't read) would beg to differ... :D

NoXion, existentialist and B.I.G like this.
  10. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I had to read the article. I'm still not even convinced there is another form of "g" other than the one on my keyboard even though when I type "g" it comes out wrong like "g" instead of the correct "g".

11. existentialist

I used to be (a bit) like you. Being better than everyone else mattered more than anything.

I grew up. You?

aqua and Pickman's model like this.
  12. Stanley Edwards

I suppose my occasional sign-writing work makes me a bit more aware of these things :confused:

No need for fancy G these days.

On a similar note: How many telephone numbers do you know by heart today compared to 20 years ago?

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Nuthin but a "g" thang.

Signal 11 and skyscraper101 like this.
  14. Stanley Edwards

You go read all the shit you posted that is now in the bin ;)

15. existentialist

Do you do that, then? It's a wonder you find any time to post. More's the pity.

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Your cognition's declining auld man

17. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Begging signs?

18. Pickman's model

Stan was surprised his sweary begging signs never worked

PippinTook likes this.
  19. 2hats

2hats

Aside from the fact there are nine examples in the first post (one in the first sentence of the first post)? :p
    All of them. I don’t know who they all belong to but I can write down any one, or more, of the 9,999,999,999 of them.

20. existentialist

I didn't read the article until I'd had a good go at guessing it. I might go and read the referenced study, because my confusion was interesting to me. I find self-certainty rather boring. Probably why I don't get on with Stan very well...

Susthehedgehog and NoXion like this.
  21. Stanley Edwards

Impressed. Think I can remember my home telephone number plus a couple of mates home numbers. 999 of course :D Think most are redundant these days anyway.

It is quite interesting. So much stuff we no longer have to hold in our long term memory. Personally, I think that frees up more time for creative thought, but I am almost certainly wrong. I haven't used any UK numbers for many years. However, I still know all the postcodes I lived, PIN numbers, my NI number and a couple of (probably redundant) phone numbers. Also remember all my mates and families Birthday dates.

The common argument is that long term memory is becoming less important. I would argue exactly the opposite.

22. Pickman's model

Go on then

23. 2hats

2hats

I meant in the OP, staring you in the face, that you had to read in order for further neurones to fire to induce you to read the article to find out what the deal was… :p

24. existentialist

I know what typeface your browser is using, but the only double-storey g's I'm seeing are the 4 examples and the wrong 'uns threw me enough to have doubts. Mind you I've noticed a touch of word blindness since my little cardiovascular accident of 9 years ago, so maybe that's it. Still interesting, though. .

25. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins FFS can I just have some peace??

I picked the right one but if I was asked to draw it from memory, I doubt I would get it right.

I think it probably does have something to do with the fact that nobody actually writes a g like that or is taught how to at school.

PippinTook likes this.
  26. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I used no 3 as the basis of the layout of paths in my garden. It makes for interesting borders, though only my upstairs neighbours get to appreciate it.

I remember trying to write a g in this style as a infant when I was learning to write as I was copying from a book - before the teacher pointed out I didn't need to.

I spent years drawing different fonts by hand when I was studying (we couldn't afford typesetting then - before computers)- I used to be able to identify hundreds of fonts (but its all fading now). Always careful to use the simpler 'reading' forms of a and gs when designing younger childrens books, especially school books.

Children often get the shapes of letters wrong like putting the tails of letters above the baseline or mirror reversing the s - getting it right is just practice, doing it over and over. Most people have no experience of writing lower case gs in the looped style - why would they. In the end we learn to read by looking at the overall word shapes and don't take in the details of individual letters - thats why good typography is invisible, because if its doing its job correctly we shouldn't even notice it - just be able to read it. Keep loosing your place in a novel, then its bad typography. Don't read a word correctly, possibly its bad letter spacing. Typography is largely a subliminal art - its fine details affect how we read and feel about things but mostly we are oblivious to them.

27. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

All four examples "look like" lower case G; they might not be the standard way of writing it but they do look like it. That's how reading works or we'd never cope with all the variants of handwriting. What a silly experiment.

28. PippinTook

It has to be the silliest looking lower case letter....

I'm surprised though that peoole found it difficult to identify..considering Google had it in their logo up to 3 years ago.
    images.png

Aha...
    Google had it wrong!!!!!
    Everyone's been brainwashed

friendofdorothy and HAL9000 like this.
  29. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Never has Whatevs seemed more appropriate.

quimcunx likes this.
  30. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

So why doesn't normal print use the same form as handwriting for a and g? Is there a typeface that does?

Furthermore, why doesn't what my browser uses look like any of the examples? Part of the bottom loop is missing.
    upload_2018-4-15_7-55-12.png

Attached Files: