1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most dramatic match ever?

Discussion in 'football' started by Wilf, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

I saw most of the Barca/PSG match last night, with commentators saying it was the most dramatic champions league match ever. It was pretty astonishing, though the fact that it took place in the round of 16 rather than the final probably rules that out.

Man Utd's champions league win in 1999 was very different. A shit and depressing game until those final mad minutes, it was the contrast that made it special. As a Utd fan, that's got to be my most dramatic.

The 1989 Arsenal V Liverpool final minute goal has to be up there as well.

Some people are on the pitch... would be another obvious nominee. But it would be an obvious one - what tales of relegation staved in the final seconds are there? What's yours?

agricola and Badgers like this.
  2. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

That last night was absolutely seminal in terms of drama. I wasn't sure whether to watch, but so glad I did now.You were thinking the whole time they have no chance. The referee tapped into making it happen though & gave Barcelona the benefit of the doubt all too often, I thought. It definitely helped them.

Badgers likes this.
  3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Newcastle United 4 - 4 Arsenal, February 2011?

Badgers likes this.
  4. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw 0-2-5-8-8, 0-2-5-8-8

Carlisle's goalkeeper scores a last-goal-of-the-season special to keep them in the Football League

agricola, Maggot, Yossarian and 4 others like this.
  5. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Tranmere 4 - Southampton 3 - 20/02/2001
    Greatest turnaround after trailing 3 goals at half time.

6. Fez909

Fez909 um...

For me it was boro's UEFA cup quarter & semi finals.

Quarters: 2-0 down after the first leg, 1-0 down in the first half of the 2nd leg. Came back to win it 4-3. :cool:
    Semis: 1-0 down after the first leg, 2-0 down in the first half of the 2nd leg. Came back to win it 4-3. :cool:
    The final was cancelled that year... :hmm:

7. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Bristol Rovers 2 Dagenham n Redbridge 1 May 2016

Barca was OK but they weren't depending on Stevenage getting a result at Accrington

Maggot likes this.
  8. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

9. JTG

Fairs Cup 1967/68

Napoli 4 Hibs1
    Hibs 5 Napoli 0

agricola, imposs1904 and marty21 like this.
  10. otzenpunk

otzenpunk Well-Known Member

European Cup Winners' Cup Quarter-Final 1986:

Dynamo Dresden (East Germany) – Bayer Uerdingen (West Germany) 2-0
    Bayer Uerdingen (West Germany) – Dynamo Dresden (East Germany) Halftime: 1-3, End result: 7-3

Including an own goal on each side, two penalties for Uerdingen and some questionable ref decisions.

11. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

FA Cup Final 1979 , Arsenal were cruising at 2-0 til 2 late Manure goals :facepalm: but then Alan Sunderland score the winner :thumbs:

imposs1904 likes this.
  12. JTG

Wigan v Bristol Rovers in 1997/98. Ended up 10 v 7 by the end.

2-1 to Wigan btw. We nearly equalised near the end as well

13. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

That one in which an injured Pele comes back on to score a bicycle kick against the Germans.
    Stallone was in goals if that helps narrow it down?!

14. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

:mad: Wish I hadn't started this thread, years of counselling instantly unravelled.

marty21 and Badgers like this.
  15. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

that's the one I half had in mind when I started the thread - but I'd forgotten it was the keeper that scored!

16. pinkychukkles

pinkychukkles Feed Your Head

17. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

In 1989 Palace were slaughtered by Liverpool 9-0. Later that season we drew them in the FA Cup semi final, it did not bode well. The mighty Liverpool V the Palace, we were resounding
    underdogs. In addition, Palace have never got so close to a cup final before. The great goalscorer Wrighty was out with a broken leg. It did not bode well.
    In case you are not aware of the result, the now MIGHTY Palace exacted their revenge 4-3 after extra time in a classic nailbiter :thumbs:

BTW, one of the scorers that day? The super AL!

[​IMG]

agricola and Maggot like this.
  18. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Certainly plenty of drama. As in acting.

Wilf likes this.
  20. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

League 1 play-off semi second leg, 2007, Nottingham Forest-Yeovil Town.

Forest are 2-0 from the first leg at Huish Park, whereupon the Glovers win 6-4 on aggregate after extra time.

21. Maggot

Maggot .

Man City needing to beat Aston Villa to win the title on goal difference in 2012. Trailing at 90 minutes and scoring 2 goals in injury time to win it, and keeping Man Uniteds hands off it.

22. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Why the fuck did I start this thread? :mad:

23. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Liverpool - Arsenal 1989 will probably never be beaten, not only do you have the game itself but there was all the events in the background to it as well.

It was QPR, not Villa.

Maggot likes this.
  24. Maggot

Maggot .

You're right. Dunno where I got Villa from.

25. LiamO

LiamO Share the love