Morocco for 10 days?

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by JCB, Feb 10, 2016.

1. JCB

JCB Well-Known Member

Hi fellow travellers :)

The last Morocco thread hasn't been in this decade so thought I'd start a new one. Going to Morocco end of March for 10 days. I arrive and depart from Rabat and want to do a bit of everything. I went to Fez for a weekend a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind fitting in a little visit there again.

Are there any must dos from people that have been before? I wouldn't mind a trip to chefchaouen and some camel trekking/atlas mountains touring.

Thankful for any suggestions.

2. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I would definitely recommend a trek up djebel toubkal (sp?). It's a long time since I've done it (I heard about 9/11 on the radio there!) and things may have changed but it's doable in two days. Taxi to the little town at the foot from Marrakech, trek up to the lodge and stop overnight, and then get to the top and back down in a day. The views are stunning. I'd check the snow situation though, I don't know what conditions are like at the top that time of year.

3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I'd certainly go to Marrakesh for a couple of days. Don't allow anyone to guide you. You will get lots less hassle without one. Make sure you travel through the Atlas mountains at some point. Bus or hire car. Freedom when hiring a car in Morocco is well worth the money. And God knows Morroco is expensive these days.

4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Note of caution. I've no plans to travel to Morocco partly because I got a nasty stomach bug in Tangiers when I was last there. On both my visits the hassle walking the streets was overwhelming, especially Marrakech. I've travelled to many countries and it was the worst here. I've not been to Cairo or Delhi admittedly.

Anyway the most useful advice is to not touch anything anyone offers you on the street. Head down and walk on.

5. dessiato

dessiato I have earned the right to sing the blues

If you get bored there's a ferry to Spain which is quick and inexpensive.

6. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

Went to Marrakesh a few times, but a while ago. Well worth it. Some hassle but not too much.

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Me and my girlfriend are now looking to go to Morocco rather than Sri Lanka, as she simply isn't able to get the money together for the flights. She's worried about getting hassled, but I'm more than happy to say no quite loudly, we're also not planning on spending all of our time in Marrakech as we'll be going for 2 weeks. We're thinking along the lines of this, and was wondering what anyone else who's been would make of our plans.

7th Marrakesh
    8th Marrakesh
    9th Casablanca
    10th Casablanca
    11th Chefchaoen
    12th Chefchaoen
    13th Chefchaoen
    14th Fez
    15th Fez
    16th Essaouira
    17th Essaouira
    18th Desert Camping
    19th Marrakesh
    20th Marrakesh

8. planetgeli

That's, er, a lot of moving around. Fez to Essaourira alone is 700km. How are you going to travel?

Can't be much help because I went for a week, 25 years ago. But I found Agadir (shithole) to Marrakesh to Agadir (local bus across the Atlas) exhausting.

Also, I stayed in a 5 star hotel for one night, only one I've ever stayed in (and paid for anyway) and it cost me £13. That same hotel exists today and costs £400 a night. Prices have gone up a bit. Guardian reading weekend visitors are not entirely blameless in this.

Are you sure Sri Lanka isn't more affordable?

Wookey likes this.
  9. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

If you are over about 25 and look straight, it’s hard to get hassled these days in the big places. Some minor hassling yeah but not like this in the old days of Crosby, stills and young

Trains end at Marrakesh iirc - are renting a car ?

Dropping south of the atlas range opens up a world of desert and oases

10. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

I spent two weeks in Essaouira, which is too long though I was there doing a kite surf course. I enjoyed the old town very much - its very chilled ou and everyone was really friendly. Food was good though after two or three tagines youve had too many (!) For lunch I buying small bags of sardines (dozen or so for a £1) and taking them to the local bbq's for cooking up - simply delicious.

Im not sure if I still have the hotel/pension card where I stayes, but let me check and come back to you...

sim667 likes this.
  11. sim667

I was thinking train and bus...... but yeah 10.5 hours ish of travel now I've looked at it a bit more.

We'd like to do both, do you have any suggestions of a better way of doing it?

12. sim667

We're looking at £600 each just for flights to sri lanka.... We can fly to morrocco for £124 on the dates we want with ryanair, and then £35 a night ish for private rooms in hostels, so that would be about £354....... almost half the price of just flights to sri lanka.

13. sim667

Looks like we might have to reduce to 10 days due to flight availability and leave...... Which of the places on my list would you bin? Fez?

14. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

For ten days I'd do three places on that list. Travel will lose you half a day per journey at least.

15. not-bono-ever

How much do you want the coast?

16. planetgeli

Not really, just suggest in 10 days you stick to Marrakesh and travel to one other place. Taroudant is supposed to be worth a visit. Highlight for me was crossing the Atlas mountains where the villagers were about a million times more friendly than in the cities. And life was about a million times cheaper.

But I haven't been for 25 years. You need someone more in tune than me.

17. not-bono-ever

marrakesh and over the atlas= plenty to do if you have a cheap hire car

18. sim667

So we can do 2 weeks now.

So what I'm finding difficult is I really want to go to chefchaouen..... I can fly to fez from gatwick and get to chefchaoeun from fez no problem. But my partner is saying she doesn't want to do long mega long journeys or repeat journeys. So from chefchaouen to casablanca on bus would be fine, but chefchaouen to fez and then fez to casablanca she doesn't want to do..... problem is there's no direct buses.

19. sim667

Right, we've booked....

Flying into marrakech (I wanted to fly to fez, my partner didn't like the look of the airline), 3 day tour from Marrakech to fez, then up to chefchaouen for a few days, back to fez to pick up the train to Marrakech, then bus to Essaouira for some chill time, before another couple of nights in Marrkech and then home.

I need to treat her to something in Essaouira as its her birthday..... I've read about Hammams, but thats not a massage is it, its like a turkish bath? (I'm assuming because they're heavily into modesty and stuff there, men and women can't do it together?)...... She's also a massive fan of massages, so I might get her one of them for her birthday.... but has anyone got any other suggestions?

craigxcraig likes this.
  20. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

It's a Turkish bath and massage, thorough rubdown. A very good present idea, imo. There isn't much more that really fits, that I remember. There's a great winery (!) Val d’Argan, and some really ncie gardens and stuff. But it's charm is mostly just in wandering about and enjoying the ambience. I loved Chefchaoen, and probably prefered Fes to Marrakesh, tho that might just be because I went to Marrakesh with my in-laws.

21. sim667

A lot of people said they preferred fez to marrakesh... We're actually going to have two full days there where as marrakesh we'll have afternoons/mornings as we move through to other places....

I'll probably see if I can book a hammam followed by a massage for her on her birthday morning then. Just need to work out the best/most affordable place

22. craigxcraig

Theres seperate men and womans in the old town, its very small and easy to find. Theyre both local, I think I paid a tenner for mine and imagine the womans to be similar. All the hotels offer the tourist type experience though these are top dollar and probably more luxurious (might be best bet re the bday). Im still to get this other info for you so do bear with. Its a lovely place, youll both enjoy.

sim667 likes this.
  23. sim667

I mean, I'm not interested in being scrubbed.... not my bag, but I'm sure she will :D

craigxcraig likes this.
  24. sim667

One more question, this may sound stupid..... but do we need to worry that we're not married sharing rooms? I've read that its problematic in some places, but generally they're not that bothered about non moroccans sharing rooms whilst unmarried.

25. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Naah. Mabe in some more out of the way areas, but not where you're planning no going

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    sim667 and craigxcraig like this.
  26. planetgeli

Absolutely not when I was there. The only place I've had that problem was in Portishead (true story, seriously).

kebabking, sim667 and craigxcraig like this.
  27. craigxcraig

I've found the hotel card for the place I stayed in - it's the Riad Sidi Magdoul (riad-sidimagdoul.com) located in the middle of the old town, on a quite alley way between the two main thoroughfares. I had a room up the roof - it's basic and (at the time) very cheap. The women's hammam is also on this street, the men's one is about 15m away - any of the locals would be able to point them out to you. I also had breakfast at Patisserie Chez Driss most mornings...

28. sim667

Thank you, I'll have a look.... we need to get on and book our tour, so we can plan the rest of our stay.

craigxcraig likes this.
  29. sim667

30. sim667

I keep hearing more and more about the harassment of women...... I'm actually getting quite paranoid about going with my partner now.... is it really as bad as people claim?