1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Star Wars than ever

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by krtek a houby, Feb 7, 2018.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

PippinTook likes this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

The writing skills they have are exactly what's been painfully missing from the new films - long story arc continuity, pacing, characterisation and logic. Seems like a good move. Only thing was weren't they working from pretty solid ideas from GG Martins books? Can they come up with a whole saga on their own entirely from scratch? Can they tick all the children's boxes Disney wants ticking? Can they do it within the time frame required of them? Imagine how old and grumpy Star Wars fans will be by the time these get made! The saga continues.........

3. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

They are amazingly good at translating good books into good TV.

With Star Wars all they’ve got is a good franchise universe to drop ideas into.
    Will those ideas be as clever as Martin’s?
    I doubt it. Exciting and action packed maybe but I don’t expect the same Machiavellian level of story arcs.

4. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

let see how Han's solo offering fairs before commenting...

5. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Solo has got nothing to do with them.

That’s like holding judgement on a potential Stephen King book until you’ve read a James Herbert book. Makes no sense.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Looks like that means they will no longer be making "Confederate" - a series which, according to HBO, "chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall."

Too bad, in a way - "Confederate" sounds like it might have been an insanely bad idea, but possibly more interesting than three movies full of tits and Wookies.

7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

- "Do you think Kylo Ren can be brought back from the Dark Side of the Force?"
    - "There's no cure for being a cunt".

I'm all for this :D

ruffneck23 likes this.
  8. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

9. S☼I

S☼I a chord and a pedal and a lock

10. 03gills

03gills Professional Cockwomble

I have a niggling suspicion that they might be quietly replacing Rian's trilogy with this. Could be wrong but I feel like Disney are scrambling behind the scenes right now. TLJ did well, but I don't think it did anywhere near what they were expecting, couple that with the super mixed response & I think they've probably been shocked into a bit of preemptive action.

Disney are ruthless remember, I mean they shit canned Whedon & course corrected after his Avengers sequel ''underperformed'' by a mere 100 million.

Welcome to the industry Rian, you tow the line & do what your told & corporate execs still throw you under the bus.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Would be even better if Disney had poached the Deadwood team from HBO instead.

"Do you think Kylo Ren can be brought back from the Dark Side of the Force?"

"That shit-faced whore-mongering cocksucker?"

T & P and S☼I like this.
  12. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

I'm not a fan of GoT - the books or the series - and this news just makes me wonder about the future of STAR WARS. Disney clearly is going to 'milk the cow' for as long as it can.

13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'd prefer more Serenity than Star Wars.

There's no reason why Disney backed Star Wars product can't be good, even great.