1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More railways.. (model railway)

Discussion in 'transport' started by Mumbles274, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

but models this time...

This section seems the best place for this. I've been scratch building a bridge this weekend of a rather mundane stretch of railway, neither bleak nor superb [unless you love southern railway concrete]

Wondered if anyone was interested in having a look, and if anyone else is a secret model train geek??

here's my model
    [​IMG]
    and the real thing, the Newington Road Bridge at Ramsgate Station, and the one that lots of the shots of Ramsgate are taken from
    [​IMG]

More here:
    http://www.mumbles274.co.uk/

Mumbles
    [Coming out of the closet!!!]

Chilli.s likes this.
  2. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Impressive. :cool: :)

When I make my money (i.e. never) I'm going to have a large room devoted to a huge, landscaped model railway layout that ... well, in reality I'm unlikely ever to have the time, the money, the patience or the skill to construct. :oops:

3. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Another secret fan here :D
    Still got all the suff from childhood in the loft. Very carefully stored as my old man was well into it as well & there's about 18 odd loco's up there in original boxes as well as a load of rolling stock including a BR Class 55, an original Intercity 125,
    a Swiss one of these
    [​IMG]
    and a beautiful SNCF one like this
    [​IMG]

4. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

There's a model railway shop just down the road from me (actually there are 3 within walking distance - they take it very seriously here in Switzerland:D), and when we moved here I found my self having a good nose & I was quite gobsmcaked at how expensive the things are having never been into it in adulthood.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Lego do railways. I like trains and I love Lego. The gauge is very wide though (about 5cm) so a layout takes up a lot of space. But one day... One day...

6. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

N gauge outing here. One day I will have a layout again.

7. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

I've always fancied a bit of Z gauge someday.

8. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Looks like you've been having a ball, Mumbles, that garage looks ACE! :cool:

9. Mumbles274

he he. ta. yes lots of fun. i ws in a dusty cold attic before and am so glad i made the move

10. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Just had a proper nose through your site Mumbles, you nutter :D

Love the repainting of the Bachman Class 24 & the muddy Land Rover scene is seriously :cool:

11. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

No secret here :)

I wonder if anyone's caught on to T scale - 1:450. Japanese, of course, but its a fascinating concept especially for those that claim they don't have the space. Here's one carriage from one of the four car sets they do.
    [​IMG]

Incidently, T scale works out at O gauge in 1:12 dolls house scale so if there is anyone here into dolls house modelling, you can have a working layout in its loft.

12. Mumbles274

remember kids, fireworks are not cool, funny or a good way to power trains :D

that T scale it pretty barking in itself. I've seen some good reviews of it, surprisingly it doesn't derail easily. I notice that pic is from carl Arendt website, I got a layout featured on there, which is like fame to me!!
    the winter snow one:
    http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page71a/index.html :cool:

Mumbles

13. Mumbles274

Hi
    I thought I'd dredge this thread up to show something I've been tinkering with the last few days

[​IMG]

Macro shots show all little flaws

14. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Does the interlocking work? :p

15. Mumbles274

of course :p

16. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I hope all the red levers are "off" before the distant signal (yellow) - is pulled off.

And the route has been set , and locked .....

Well done indeed...:D

17. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Nice :)

I'm currently trying to work out a trackplan for the layout I'm going to build. Will be OO, set in the late 1950s, Midland region :)

I'll try and post some pics up of the P4 layout my dad is currently building, it's rather impressive...

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

have you got any of those little suicide figures, bridge-jumpers or platform-divers, for that real touch of verisimilitude?

19. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I might have a passing interest.
    Just a very passing interest, you understand. :hmm:

20. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Remember not to engage in any heavy petting.

You wouldn't want to disqualify yourself from your most teuchterish squeaky clean poster nominations thread.

21. Mumbles274

Is his name Jim?

22. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

No, and he's not building New St :D

23. Mumbles274

LOL, you know the one i mean then

24. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Mumbles - not geeky enough mate

You've got a Brush (class 47) EE Class 40 and what looks like an early BR build Type 2 Bo-Bo on yer Southern Electric layout, NONE of those Locos would ever have been stationed on any of those routes!!!

Another one out of the closet with a "typical" moan as well!!!!:D:D

25. Mumbles274

may i refer you to the first page of the website :D

and in the time honoured tradition of there is a prototype for everything:
    http://davidburrin.fotopic.net/p21717500.html

granted the class 25 is very out of place, however, i have a rather lovely bachmann 4 CEP for xmas so that will be correct :p

26. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

haha!!!

Ace!!;)

27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

If I were to be building a model representing that area in that era, I think I'd be tempted to go for Folkestone Harbour.

28. Mumbles274

I gotta have ambitions though huh?

Seriously though, I would like to make the harbour my self one day but for a home roundy roundy layout it's not the best due to the huge length that would be required for the pier

Also maybe a earlier period would be more intersteing
    check out this aerial shot from 1938

http://bbhilda.topcities.com/Folkestone/images/HarbourAerial1938VeryLarge_890x623.jpg

hmm, ww2 era, war department locos, boats, soldiers, tanks, bomb damage :D

29. Mumbles274

Ho Ho Ho

More model rail updates for the interested, be nice to see anyone else's forays too ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is an old layout I built and have now sold but it now comes with a message

[​IMG]

30. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Now if I'm to out myself properly on this thread I'd like to build Gipsy Hill in the time of the LBSCR overhead electric trains in N gauge.

davesgcr likes this.