Monty Python Crap / Not Crap ?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by pollypatter, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Is Monty Python Crap Or Not ?

1. Crap

8.6%
  2. Not Crap

91.4%
  1. pollypatter

pollypatter Banned Banned

Movies were A** but i think the TV show was pretty hit and miss with some episodes being completely tosh all the way through.

he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy ! :p

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Flying Circus is about %30 genius, I reckon. The movies are superb. Not crap. And the Pythons themselves have done all sorts of other superb stuff.

3. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

This.

4. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

What are people's favourite roles for ex pythons?

I know most people will of course say Fawlty, but I'd like to put a strong word in here for Clockwise, one of my favourite comedy films and one that is possibly a little underrated.

And of course, it features one of the greatest quotes of all time (it's not the despair, it's the hope...)

5. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

The TV series was not as good as the movies, but it was completely ground-breaking at the time. There had been nothing like it, plus they only had a small budget.

Where's the poll?

6. Maggot

Ripping Yarns was great.

7. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

In sketch show terms, only Not The 9 O'Clock News rivals Python.

As for post-Python, apart from Fawlty and Spamalot (post-Python?), the thing that springs to mind was Terry Jones' excellent documentary The Story Of 1.

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge beneath the paving stones, a layer of hardcore

This. Looking back, there are many episodes of find-the-gem-in-here, but that's in hindsight.

9. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

I love Ripping Yarns! Why isn't stuff like that ever repeated?!:mad:

I only discovered it through my dad.

10. Maggot

It was repeated recently on BBC4.

I feel old. :(

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

This would work better in the US

12. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

Obviously not at all crap in the slightest.

13. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

Sorry I didn't mean to do that.:oops:

My rant about repeats was poppycock then. Maybe I'll nick them off my dad, he only ever watches telly he can moan about now. I think he gets a kick out of droning on throughout casualty.

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Im not sure how highly I would rate Clockwise if I watched it again now, but at the time it left an impression on me (I was probably about 11 and lapping up what the 80's had to offer in all its naffness). I sometimes find myself saying 'this is... a historic moment' when things are going wrong.

The python movies were a joy, and I think the TV show is saved from being too dated or stale by the brilliant animation.

15. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Paramount Comedy 2 had Python followed by NT9O'CN the other night, and not only did the Python have Upperclass Twit Of The Year, which is my favourite Python sketch, but NT9O'CN had the darts competition and Gerald the gorilla. :cool:

16. pollypatter

Poll added.

17. Silva

Silva This went well.

One of the most influential comedy/sketch series of all time, if not the most. It surely had it's less inspired moments, mostly when they overdo a joke, but few shows had as much quality comedy genious moments as them. And the movies are ace.

18. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

The nudge nudge wink wink sketch is the funniest sketch ever imo!

Although I do agree with the OP that the series can be a bit hit and miss! Films are great and The Holy Grail is better than The Life of Brian OK FOLKS???!!!!

19. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

It was weird with my ex cos I watched the films with her and she hated them cos she just thought that they were a bunch of posh wankers

I thought everyone liked monty python till then

She even liked some of the jokes, but she didn't like monty python just cos they were posh wankers

20. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Time Bandits. I fucking love that film.

21. Stigmata

Stigmata sexual tyrannosaurus

22. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Brazil...

Definitely not crap, as others have said TV show could be very hit and miss, but they were trying a lot of stuff that hadn't really been done before with a low budget and a lot of flack flying at them.

Films all superb.

23. Maggot

No worries, I am old!

The thing is, there's so many channels these days its easy to miss stuff.

24. JohnnyOrange

JohnnyOrange All The World...

I recognised UTOTY from 'And Now For Something Completely Different.' I'd never seen the 'Hilter' sketch before though, and loved it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxM5IBLeU4

The programs aren't helped by having a live audience which might not have quite got what they were watching.

Like other things, they represented a change but the programs vs the films don't necessarily stand up. See also:

'Never Mind The Bollocks' vs other punk albums.

'Sgt Pepper' vs other Beatles albums.

And stuff.

25. LindaR

LindaR Pan Narrans

Rutland Weekend Television - which spawned 'The Rutles - All You Need Is Cash' - was pretty good, and if we can add sort-of Pythons, Neil Innes' The Innes Book of Records was superb. But I still think Ripping Yarns is the best thing done by an ex-Python.

Oh, and Not Crap, apart from the series that John Cleese wouldn't do, and even that had some great moments.

26. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Watching it as a kid I was baffled by a lot of it but generally laughed a lot; now, I understand more of the context and find the references funny, but have much less time for the stupid knockabout stuff.

I'm comparing and contrasting to the Two Ronnies - funnier as a kid than now though some classic sketches - and Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - much funnier now than as a kid.

27. JohnnyOrange

JohnnyOrange All The World...

Comparing is interesting - I find The Young Ones less funny on the whole than I did as a kid, but much of The Comic Strip funnier.

28. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Me too, actually; I didn't find the Comic Strip funny at all when I was a kid. I just didn't understand what was supposed to be funny about it.

29. pollypatter

Hmm, yeah that was my immediate reaction. I mean I finished watching Holy Grail and a couple of people said to me "yeah that film's good, but life of brain is just amazingly funny."

After watching Life of Brian though I still found Holy Grail to be more entraining overall, but I think thats because of Life of Brian has lot of funny stuff in that tends to be missed the first time round. :D

30. danny la rouge

danny la rouge beneath the paving stones, a layer of hardcore

I wasn't a kid at the time, but I didn't find Comic Strip funny at all as it aired either. I've never bothered revisiting for that reason; it was occasionally clever (but not very), but not actually funny.