1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly artist appreciation thread?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 25, 2017.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

2. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Me too, but I must be a complete philistine because I wish he hadn't bothered with the curtains .

craigxcraig likes this.
  3. An artist who knew the value of a peseta as well as the worth of Art. He was renowned for the Dali cheque scam

Don't care for his stuff meself. Probably not helped by the awful Dali museum I went to a couple of years ago

craigxcraig likes this.
  4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Dali is the Jim Morrison of painting.
    Seems amazing and mind blowing when you're a teenager but a tedious old bore when you grow up.

RoyReed likes this.
  5. dessiato

dessiato Fast cars. Big waves.

Which one was it? I love the one in St Petersburg and have been at least three times, and always with a guide, and a pair of binoculars! The gallery in Porto that did a Dali exhibition was singularly disappointing for its presentation, but the art, mainly lesser known works, was very interesting.

craigxcraig likes this.
  6. The One in ermm ( googles ) Figueres in Catalonia

7. dessiato

I'm pleased you mentioned that one. I was planning to take Mrs D there as she is a great fan of Dali and is keen to go to where he started and to see some of the scenery that recurs in his paintings.

8. it was hot and the queue was about 2 hours and it was expensive and the kids were kicking off and people were pushing in and there was precious little of his stuff there I thought...you may enjoy it though. I am wary of production line museums like this - just seemed like it is a profit generating machine and part of every coach trippers schedule

9. dessiato

I think that it is very much a coach trip "must see," but since my wife is such a fan it seems worth the risk. The other thing is that some of the rooms have to be viewed from a specific angle to see the actual art. Dali fully understood his monetary value, and I have no doubt that this museum capitalises on this.

10. Its very busy Dess' - and yes, some of the installations really require you to be in a very specific position and the *entire world* were queuing up inside to get that exact shot for their facebook . We did have some lovely tapas and cervesa on the way back to the campsite though, so it wasn't all wasted

dessiato likes this.
  11. dessiato

One of the best things about living in Spain is the beer and tapas, even when the beer isn't too good.