1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly artist appreciation thread?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 25, 2017.

1. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Re weltweit's "lowbrow" observation above, a neighbour once stayed in an apartment in Figueres and found herself looking directly across the street at Dali, recognisable by his elaborate moustachios. Upon realising he was being observed he looked straight back at her and solemnly twirled one of them down, so one was up and one down.

Always a trickster, he featured in noted photographs by Philippe Halsman. Most famously here File:Salvador Dali A (Dali Atomicus) 09633u.jpg - Wikipedia
    And more here Dali | Philippe Halsman

craigxcraig and dessiato like this.
  2. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Love the idea of the man and child .

dessiato likes this.
  3. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I hope at some point we can do Gaudi. Does Gaudi qualify as an artist as well as architect?

It is something special that people are still building one of his greatest projects, the Sagrada Familia, some 90 years after his death.

craigxcraig likes this.
  4. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I've never been a huge Dali fan. Yes I admire his technical ability which is sublime but ... I always found the whole surrealist thing rather contrived. I don't find great beauty in his work:(

RoyReed likes this.
  5. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

As did the rest of the surrealists which is why Breton chucked him out of the group. If you want Spanish/Catalan surrealism look to Miro.

plurker likes this.
  6. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Miro I like a lot

7. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Me too!

8. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka

Have a look at his pre-surrealist work. It's very good.

9. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I know very little about the lives of Dali, or Miro. Really like Miro, not so keen on Dali (although I have a great appreciation for his work - it just ain't my cup of tea).

Nice idea to bring contemporaries and influences and influenteds into the thread. Comparisons add interest.

Going to look on the net for a Dali that actually moves me :)

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

You need to start a new thread, or edit the title, Stanley Edwards
    You asked the question. Everyone's up for it, so let's have a thread about it.

11. Stanley Edwards

Suggest how we edit the title?

Personally, my own hope was simply to get a nice learning/appreciation discussion about 'great' artists in a bit more depth than just 'here is a picture'. Despite my own interest in art, I have always been very ignorant about other artists. I want to know more.

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. Orang Utan

Go into thread tools at the top right of the thread and change the title from a question to a statement.

13. Stanley Edwards

Doesn't give me the option. Never mind. The pattern has been established.

14. Orang Utan

The first option is edit title - there's so many shitty thread titles on here asking if we should have a thread on something, thus making the question redundant

15. weltweit

I don't think the option to change the thread title stays open very long.

16. Orang Utan

didn't spot stan started it on the 25th of Jan. shame. it's really annoying seeing these speculative titles. i don't know why people do it!

17. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Be nice also to explore the lesser-known artists out there. I can buy books on Miro or Dali, but be nice to find out about art others like too, not necessarily the big hitters.

18. Stanley Edwards

Yes. Anyone with an interest to share in the work and life of a lesser known artist would be cool.

19. Stanley Edwards

20. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

I visited Tate Modern today to re look at the paintin i mentioned above - captured by my better half :)

IMG-20170204-WA0000.jpg

21. weltweit

Does this mean that you are on the mend craigxcraig?

22. craigxcraig

I got out late Thursday, with my colon in place :D - was there three weeks in the end! Hope youre keeping well mate.

23. weltweit

Yup, I am good, thanks, and very glad to hear that you are also!! :)

craigxcraig likes this.
  24. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka

The thing with Dali is that often there is many more than one picture in a painting. If, for example, you look at his painting The Hallucinogenic Toreador you can see that by using negative space he creates the illusion of the bullfighter. He also has a painting of his wife, Gala, a dying bull, and a painting of a bay formed from the dying bull's blood all in the one picture. There's almost thirty Venus de Milo in the painting too, these form the optical illusion of the toreador. The whole painting is massive. The figures in it are way beyond life size. It is all this that fascinates me about Dali. I've seen this painting many times and have yet to see all of it. The same is true of all his large works.

I'd ad a link to a picture but those I can find are totally inadequate.

clicker and craigxcraig like this.
  25. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

As a kid I'd seen plenty of pictures of Dali's works, but its only seeing them for real that the scope and scale reveals their genius. As dessiato says above, some are so huge you need big rooms to hang them and binoculars to look at them.

craigxcraig and dessiato like this.
  26. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka

The best you can hope for is a taste of what the painting is like. Some are just so big that, unless you see them in the flesh, you cannot get a full understanding of them. This is, in some ways, the failing of Dali paintings. They translate into photographs etc very badly. However, his early, pre-surrealist paintings are a different kettle of fish all together. These are all too often ignored. I do recommend them.

craigxcraig and Chilli.s like this.
  27. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Also makes the actual looking at them in person such a memorable experience. Would love to see more and hope to too. The early ones show where the genius started, meticulous, great brushwork and colour, highly realistic but to go on within his life to the monumental, just staggeringly clever.

dessiato and craigxcraig like this.
  28. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka

I think these indicate the basic talent of the man
    Woman at a Window (1925)
    b5b2661fd4d60de323533a663177bc0d.jpg

Woman with flower head (1937)

7996f30b6c6a14056901c78204583d51.jpg

And this one of his wife, Gala, which I think was 1952.

ma_femme_nue_regardant_son_porpe_corps.jpg

Mrs D is a great fan of Dali and has a collection of art books about Dali, hence my knowledge of him.

craigxcraig, clicker and weltweit like this.
  29. weltweit

There are a whole load of Dali paintings if you google "dali paintings", including a lot I haven't seen before.

craigxcraig likes this.
  30. craigxcraig

dessiato ive not seen any of these, do like the Woman at the Window :)

dessiato likes this.