1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly artist appreciation thread?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

I propose that we devote a monthly thread to artists great (and not so great). Share our thoughts. Post pictures of our favourite pieces, or indeed demonstrate what we don't like, post links to other sites for educational purposes :D You get the idea? Just discuss the work of a single artist, photographer, whatever for a whole month.

I'm going to start with William Blake for January 2017. It is like the U75 great gallery collection starting now!

Start thinking about artists for next month by all means, but until January 31st we all enjoy William Blake.

I'll start with the Wiki link above and this image:

blake.jpg

The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed (print and water colour).

Let's talk.

Fez909, Lazy Llama, cuppa tee and 7 others like this.
  2. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Good idea!

Why did you chose him? I don't know much so will have a read

3. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Geat idea Stanley Edwards ill try to contribute rather than lurk as very keen to broaden my limited knowledge :thumbs:

4. Stanley Edwards

There is a lot to read. Very interesting fellow!

Personal favourite of mine for his work, his life and interesting times he lived in. I really like the idea of his opposition to science as a Romantic, yet he was a master of the latest technologies of his day. Very spiritual in his expression, but entirely pragmatic in his approach to work. As pragmatic as an artist can be?

I also chose Blake because I would like to know much more about him myself. This seems a good way to spend time learning and getting other peoples perspectives. I would like to be able to talk confidently about Blake (and other artists) in those so called expert circles :D

Mumbles274 and craigxcraig like this.
  5. dessiato

dessiato Fast cars. Big waves.

6. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I went to visit his grave a couple of years ago. It is an unremarkable stone in the very peaceful ( considering it's slap bang in the middle of London) Bunhill Fields...derived from Bone Hill. It was set alone in a pathway and apparently some 20 metres from his actual resting place. But someone had very recently visited and left a couple of still dewy fresh purple crocuses at the base of the stone. I remember their colour so vibrant in glorious cold sunshine.

Daniel Defoe was parked nearby with a massive obelisk affair.

7. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I wonder were all his pictures this grim originally or is it just that no one has bothered to clean them yet?

Capture2.jpg

8. Stanley Edwards

The paper will have darkened mostly. I see nothing wrong in using modern technologies today to try and guess what it looked like fresh.

Capture2.jpg

two sheds, bimble and bi0boy like this.
  9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I'll bear that transformation in mind when looking at his other ones. :thumbs:

10. Stanley Edwards

From here: The William Blake Page The William Blake page.

albion_sm.jpg

GLAD DAY
    And Blake awoke. Expanding from the Vale
    Of Felpham, his Humanity became
    A Globe of Self-annihilating flame,
    A Bubble searing through the Mundane Shell.

Consumed in liquid Wrath, the torpid Sea
    With dolorific shrieks regenerates
    The raving Spectre's vegetated States
    Of aggregated mediocrity.

The stoking of his bawling Furnace done,
    His burnished Anvil glinting in its beams,
    The Forge of his Imagination seems
    A distant Orb, a dark but shining Sun,
    Whose visionary radiance redeems
    The Mental Warfare Milton had begun.

--Richard Record

-------------------------

I'm looking at the work of those he is said to have influenced also.

two sheds likes this.
  11. Stanley Edwards

12. craigxcraig

Do like this first piece 1 | The Angels Hovering Over the Body of Christ in the Sepulchre, c1805

And where it mentions... Aged eight, Blake told his mother he had seen a tree full of angels “bespangling every bough like stars”. The vision occurred on Peckham Rye, one of south-east London’s more ethereal green spaces.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It seems Blake was a Christian?

14. Stanley Edwards

A very controversial, radical Christian.

As mentioned above, he claimed to have visions from an early age, but he didn't like The Church for all sorts of reasons. Reading many accounts you could easily conclude he was a grumpy, argumentative arse. Yet, people who knew him best talk about his warmth and his empathy. Religion is pretty much in every work he ever created.

15. weltweit

So was he selling his works to the church, as I believe a lot of artists have done?

16. Stanley Edwards

He didn't sell a lot. Many of his patrons commissioned Biblical illustrations. They would have been senior church members. He frequently 'lost faith' in his patrons believing they were more interested in the commercial aspect of his work rather than what he saw as the true spiritual, or artistic value. He was buried in the dissenters cemetery (see above post) and always remained a true believer. I find it interesting that he had a problem with science, industry, commerce etc, but always tried to make good use of technologies of his time. Perhaps he was just looking for something to blame his own lack of financial success on? Or, blaming the increased interest in business and commerce (and consequent interest in investment in science) resulting in a lack of interest in art.

In many respects, he didn't behave as Christians were expected to behave.

clicker and craigxcraig like this.
  17. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

He was born in Soho and lived for a long time in Hercules Road in north Lambeth. I was given a facsimile edition of Songs of Innocence and Experience when I was in my late teens. I still read it occasionally.

[​IMG]

I think I like his poetry even more than his drawing/painting/engraving. The one of Newton is probably my fave.

[​IMG]

bubblesmcgrath and craigxcraig like this.
  18. Stanley Edwards

In conclusion; crazy, Christian nutter who didn't like scientists (although he seemed to like science when it suited him).

Who is going to start a February thread? If someone has a favourite artist they have already researched and read much about, that would be cool.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    craigxcraig likes this.
  19. weltweit

I am not going to start the Feb thread but I am interested in Dali .. but I don't know much about him, I think he had a house in Figueras which I may have visited a long time ago.

Anyhow you should have the next artists on this same thread rather than lots of little ones.

craigxcraig likes this.
  20. Stanley Edwards

craigxcraig likes this.
  21. craigxcraig

Last year, whilst i had some time off I went along to Tate Modern and one of their guided taster walks. We were ooking at the Surrealists and Dali's Metamorphosis of Narcissus which was stunning - though ive forgotten most of what was said :facepalm:

Ive a few weeks off coming back so will head back for another look :cool:

heinous seamus likes this.
  22. weltweit

lowbrow I know but he had a strange taste in facial hair

[​IMG]

bubblesmcgrath and craigxcraig like this.
  23. weltweit

24. weltweit

I didn't realise he was painting in Spain during Franco's rule.
    I suppose that could have been obvious.

25. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Can we do Franz Marc? I like a bit of German Expressionism and I like colour so he fits the bill nicely.

26. Stanley Edwards

For March. I love German Expressionism so much I tell people they have influenced my own style, so perhaps I should learn something about them.

27. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

A few years back we drove to Cadaques for a few weeks in our campervan, and went to his house in Portlligat.

We got burgled shortly after we returned (and in Figueras too, but that's another story), so my laptop with photos are gone, but what a wonderful place....
    Google is suprisingly low on images, but it was great and I recommend it.

A million rave flyers from the 1980s and 90s owe a lot to Dali

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    clicker and craigxcraig like this.
  28. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I though 'monthly artist' was a euphemism for menstruation.

29. dessiato

Many years ago Mrs D and I used to travel all over to see Dali paintings. We even went three times to theDali museum in St Petersburgh, FL. The size of the paintings there is amazing. When you need a pair of binoculars to see the detail in a painting you know it is big, and that the detail is worth looking at. It's interesting that in honour of his father, with whom he had a falling out that lasted for years, he would, in his later paintings, have a small image of a man and child. This was said to be him and his father.

What used to attract me so much more than his surrealist painting, a description he didn't use himself, was the art he produced before this time. He did some great work in a more impressionist style. He painted for many years before becoming known as a surealist. These earlier paintings are worth seeking out.

About six years ago we went to an exhibition in Porto where they had some interesting sketches and some small paintings. These too are worth looking for.

Chilli.s and craigxcraig like this.
  30. dessiato

Again when you see how large the paintings are, and how fine is some of the detail is, it's hard to imagine how he could paint something so large and with so much detail. It is unlikely that he could see what he was producing, but produce it he did.

Chilli.s and plurker like this.