Money laundering jobs online

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by ice-is-forming, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

Somehow a person I work with has been caught up in money laundering, I think. They received an unsolicited email offering them a position as a ' transfer clerk'. The person provided their bank details and $2500 was deposited into their account with instructions to transfer the money via western union to somewhere in the Ukraine.

She's subsequently withdrawn and spent all the money. She's opening a new account for herself today for her benefits to go into etc....

How much trouble will she be in, and from who, if this gets followed up?

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

a) whichever ukranian crooks were behind this - they might take out an action in the local county court, they may prefer more direct methods

b) quite possibly the DWP if she is claiming means tested benefits (if that's what you're saying) and does not declare savings / capital. DWP can and do share data with credit reference agencies and such, so it's risky to have a bank account in your own name that you 'forget' to declare.

c) i'm not a copper or lawyer but have a feeling that this may be a criminal matter as well.

(having written all the above, i've now got a feeling you're not in the UK so the above is possibly of limited use)

3. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Theft, money laundering, fraud. Any chance of repaying the money and making out it was all some kind of inadvertent error?

4. ice-is-forming

I'm in qld which is a long way from the Ukraine, im not too sure if one payment is enough to alert the dole, and I suppose it's only the bank who may alert the police? Unless they're already tracing the crims.

Surely this must be one of the risks of the business...

5. ice-is-forming

No, her cry is ' they shouldn't have tried to scam a scammer'. $2500 is a lot of money to this person.

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Can you pass on my details, please

7. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

As a launderer or a launderee..? :hmm:

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

If she's ripping off Ukrainian money launderers the DWP and plod are likely to be the least of her problems.

NoXion, tim, 8ball and 8 others like this.
  9. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

How possible is it that she's not telling you the truth?

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

If they are targeting benefit claimants as potential money washers then I suggest they haven't thought this one through. I'd pocket the lot as well. It'd cost em more to do me in than the value of the debt. Easy money, cheer grigor.

I'd never sleep easy again.

NoXion likes this.
  11. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Maybe she's part of the scam?

If it sounds too good to be true...

12. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The story sounds like a load of arse. $2,500 is a lot of money in Ukraine. They wouldn't just send it to random strangers in Queensland.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Sounds like this scam - the money was probably stolen from somebody else's account by identity thieves, your friend will likely be accused of receiving stolen funds and expected to pay the money back when the hack is discovered and the bank looks into where the money was transferred to.

Ukrainian identity thieves snag a victim in their money-laundering scam

14. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

15. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

If their bank is doing its job it should be monitoring for unusual activity, such as larger sums of money than usual passing through an account. But in this case it is a relatively low amount, it's a one off and has been withdrawn locally rather then sent overseas so is unlikely to trigger anything at the bank. The opening of a new account might look suspicious though.

16. emanymton

Is it? I would have thought $2,500 was relatively small fry to serious criminals. I would think that if $2,500 is lot of money to them they are not worth worrying about (probably can't even afford the plane ticket to NZ). If they are serious then $2,500 is probably a loss they are prepared to accept as part of the scheme.

Assuming that is remotely close to what is actually going on, which it probably isn't.

17. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

18. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

It's worrying how many people still think that any money put into their account is fair game. If it's legit that's fine, but if for any reason it's not the excuse of "I didn't know, honest gov, spent all the money, etc" simply won't wash. Just because you have ready access to the cash doesn't mean it's yours to spend if it was deposited accidentally, fraudulently, illegally, etc, etc. And if you are going to chance it, here's a word of advice: Stick the money in an ISA with a different bank, leave it there for a few years. That way, if no one comes knocking you've got the cash and a bit of interest, whereas if they do you can play the innocent victim card and meekly pay it all back. If you spend it you risk being the one who's fucked...

ShiftyBagLady and Spymaster like this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Whatever gets me the 2.5k

Sue likes this.
  20. emanymton

Thing is whacking it in an ISA looks less innocent and more 'I know this is dodgy but let's see if I can get away with it'.

Spymaster likes this.
  21. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

A random stranger just gave her a load of money? Errr... why?

Spymaster likes this.
  22. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Doing anything but querying it with the bank looks dodgy. My point is that the "I've spent it" excuse is naive & won't wash. If you're a high roller who receives frequent large deposits and spends money like water, then you could probably get away with playing the innocent. Otherwise it's best to play it safe - leave the money where it is if you prefer. Just don't go on a spending spree...

23. emanymton

Personally I'd just leave it were it is and see what happens.

cheesethief likes this.
  24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I’d leave it in fucking Ukraine

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    BristolEcho and kebabking like this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I doubt they're actively targeting benefits claimants and I'd take the opposite view to you. If they're sophisticated enough to steal the money in the first place, then wire it all around the world and back to wash it, it's inconceivable that they haven't thought that quite a few people would simply hold on to it. I would reason that it's probably part of the scam.

They have your bank details and according to Yossarian's links you've signed some kind of contract which probably gave them a load of other personal information. When you nick $2500 from organised criminals they don't come calling for $2500. Will you still be thanking Grigor whilst Vitaly is clipping off your toes and Bogdan's Rottweiler is lunching on your bollocks because you don't have the 50 grand interest?

Once they're convinced there's no way they're getting the money out of you they'll probably be kind enough to let you work off the debt as a drug courier or, if your lucky, in one of their sex dens.

Stealing from organised criminals is a really fucking bad idea.

A380 and kebabking like this.
  26. existentialist

Or even disorganised ones.

Spymaster likes this.
  27. ice-is-forming

I wish, but its true, I've seen the emails, bank statement and the cash :facepalm:

She has nothing to lose, well her identity i suppose but she has no license or passport and has no money so I'm just really surprised to see that they paid in $2500. She's opening the new bank account so that the 'money launderers" can't access her measly $150 a fortnight benefit. I hope it doesn't turn shit for her as she's had a hell of a life and has only been here a few years after a life time of running from a violent ex.

This is a warning from the Australian government I just found....

Fake recruitment ads used to target job seekers for identity theft and possible money laundering: SSO Alert Priority Hig

28. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

They are likely to have a local enforcer they can call in.

Spymaster likes this.
  29. ice-is-forming

Damn *sigh*

30. existentialist

It could all come to nothing. I guess there are inept Ukrainian criminals who miss out some important step in making sure their marks don't rip THEM off. But I think she's right to switch the bank account - although I note that all the talk is of opening a new one, which is good, but I think she should also be closing the old one.

I also think she should be putting her old email address beyond use, and reviewing very carefully what other information these people might have about her that could pose problems in future. At the very least, I imagine she's going to get some fairly bloodcurdling threats - I got enough of those just for tweaking the noses of Nigerian 419ers.