1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'mon the Speysiders - Rothes 17/18

Discussion in 'football' started by rubbershoes, Aug 4, 2017.

1. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Leave the pampered and primped gloryboys of the Premier League . Head north, and head north again to the tough world of the Highland League. There's no big money imports from Brasil or Argentina, no Bentleys at the training ground, and luckily, no chance of being relegated.

The season starts early up there. The dark and wet days of winter lead to many cancellations.

And this year, maybe this year will be the one that Rothes aren't completely shit. You need to look back to 06/07 to find them finishing above the bottom four. New manager Stevie MacDonald has brought in plenty of new players and with two games down , things are looking positive. OK, so those two games were against Strathspey and Fort William, two of the other whipping boys.

But already 2 games in and 6 points. That's more than their total 2 seasons ago.

So after you've finished cheering or bemoaning your Premier League team, see what the teleprinter brings from Mackessack Park.

Mon the Speysiders

2. rubbershoes

three wins in a row

It won't last

3. tonysingh

tonysingh Well-Known Member

Fancy dans.

4. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Strathspey Thistle til I die.

5. rubbershoes

After last week's loss at Fraserburgh it would have been easy for the oh shit feeling to return and the slide down the table.

But they held on for a draw against Forres Mechanics today .

10 points in the bag so far. Which is 10 more than some teams

6. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I went to college with Rothes's goalie of the time.

Every time he went home for a match, he would come back with several bottles of the white stuff - full-strength spirit, straight out of the distillery stills, courtesy of his dad/uncles/pals etc. At that time workers were still entitled to a bottle a week as a 'perk' of the job (later withdrawn due to the endemic alcoholic probs up there) Hangovers and mind-blanked activities all round! :D

7. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

Rothes :D

they are a half-hearted Gretna at the moment. won't be long before the moneybags new leadership get bored and the club goes back to winning once a season at Strathspey and jousting with the Fort to avoid bottom spot.

8. rubbershoes

You're probably right. So this season's relative glory should be enjoyed whilst it's here.

Another 3 points yesterday, at home to Deveronvale.

9. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

It's all about Nairn County, who I fully intend to watch at some point