MMA - Mixed Martial Arts (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Bernie Gunther, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

The reporting said it was a bus full of fighters (for the next ufc show presumably). Surprised they didn't get off the bus and 'engage' with Magregor's army. That's not some macho nonsense saying they should have done, just that it could have ended up a lot worse (if they had).

2. Wilf

I'm just reading through the story - presumably the injury was from flying glass i.e. nobody was directly fighting? Not mitigating what he's done, btw, throwing that trolley could have killed someone. Yep, I hope he is fucked.

3. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Holloway fails medical apparently Petitis will step in!

4. Wilf

Thinking about it, one thing that probably makes this a non-starter is, if convicted, he won't be allowed back into the USA. If Putin does long term planning he'll already be making overtures...

5. bromley

Pettis is now out!:eek:

6. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

UFC in total shambles. Now Iaquinta v Nurmagomedov. If Khabib wins he gets belt, If Al wins he doesn't.

[​IMG]

7. dshl

dshl Well-Known Member

Dana was asked several times about this in the press conference. Apparently al made weight for the fight after they weighed his shorts, but somehow he didn't make weight for the fight when it comes to the belt.

So to be 'clear', he made weight for the fight in order to fight but did not make weight for the fight in order to win the belt. But Dana goes on to say he would still be the 'champ' but not the champ, but still the champ and they'll work out the technicalities later [ depending on what suits them, to what degree they can push fighters around like al].

I'm willing to admit that I don't know enough about it and could be missing something but it sounds like the kind of reply to a very straightforward question someone with too much power gives - where they don't expect those beneath them to keep pursueing the question until they get a proper answer.

8. dshl

dshl Well-Known Member

And you've got Al in the background looking like 'what can I do, who the fuck am I anyway? I'm here aren't I? Should be happy even if I am getting screwed in my arsehole, shouldn't I?

9. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Dana is an arsehole so this is not supposed to be a general defence of the man, but it is quite normal for championship fights to become non-title if the challenger misses weight by a certain amount. As for the UFC making a bit of a mess of their title situation when trying to respond to changes to the card, we've seen this a lot already including the overuse of interim titles. Its far from ideal and arguably devalues various titles, but sometimes the situation is hard to respond to ideally. Cant do much about fighters getting injured or going crazy, could do something about the shit weight cutting situation but that will require athletic commissions to get a clue.

10. dshl

dshl Well-Known Member

Didn't he ultimately make weight as a result of weighing of shorts?

11. dshl

dshl Well-Known Member

On another note, khabib, for me, is getting more likeable by the minute. " You want fight with me. In cage outside cage no matter. I from crazy mountain. Just give me location."

Wilf likes this.
  12. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

There's absolutely no chance that he'll do time for the incident (he should imo) , he'll get a big fine and some suspended sentence bullshit. His behaviour has gone from some form of loutish self-publicity to actual insanity with the latest events. He obviously has no-one in his social or familial circle to tell him to wind it in - his wife is clearly a vapid lackey to him, following him about everywhere with her stupid expression (no doubt trying to limit the volume of his womanising) but having no influence on his actions whatsover. The fact he and a dozen of his 'mates' flew by private jet from Dublin to New York with the sole intention of doing this and no-one queried whether or not it was actually a good idea says it all. It's wasn't a knee-jerk act, it was planned and premeditated which makes it much, much worse. New York is a hardline state when it comes to sentencing but even with that I can't see him doing time - he's a multimillionaire athlete and will have the best counsel available. It's gone beyond schtick now with him, I honestly believe he now inhabits some form of cocaine-induced bubble where he thinks he can do this kind of shit and get away with it.

bromley likes this.
  13. Wilf

Definitely a case of 'gained in translation'. :thumbs:

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

To be honest there were so many twists in the card falling apart and various attempts to save it that I lost track!

15. bromley

He's not joking either! :D

I like it when he played down the video of him wrestling a bear as a 9 year old. "It's just a training bear". Joe Rogan or someone pointed out that bear had decent Ju Jitsu!:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    ice-is-forming likes this.
  16. bromley

DC said this. You understand them being drunk one night and thinking it's a good idea but surely at some stage during the flight one of them would sober up and prevent it from happening.

The Khabib thing at the Hotel wasn't that big a deal IMO, just a light slap to the back of the neck, yes it was intimidating but a massive over reaction which could lead to something far worse. I wouldn't mess with Khabib's team!

17. Wilf

I know pretty much nothing about MMA of the UFC, other than these big stories that flare up. Having said that, it seems to me Dana White has had at least a part to play in 'creating' the McGregor persona. From the clips I've seen, he knows he's pandering to a twat, but won't give up the money maker. Not sure at what point he ever decides to really give up on McGregor. Not impossible that we'll have a situation in 18 months where White and others are suing him, whilst also trying to put on a 'mega fight' against Khabib. Even boxing would have been classier.

18. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I agree, I think the worm will turn eventually with McGregor and the UFC but as things stand he's still their greatest, more saleable asset. That said, he's 30 in July so his days at the very top of the game may be limited. White has bent over backwards to keep this guy sweet - ditto John Jones - as his job is to guarantee success for the UFC and McGregor is, at the end of the day, a sublimely talented fighter. Once his abilities start to wane however, my prediction would be that the whole relationship will sour very quickly. McGregor lacks the intellect to critique himself, to take responsibility for anything so I can see things getting pretty ugly as the blame game will invariably start. One thing I have said on these boards that disgusts me about White is the double standards that he has applied - Paul Daley was banned from the organisation for life for a half-assed sucker punch on a cosmic asshole in Josh Koscheck. McGregor has assaulted an official, shoved a referee, entered the cage without permission, run riot at a press conference etc and now this. ANY other fighter other than perhaps John Jones would have been banned for life from the UFC for that shambles. What will happen will be a period of 'rehabilitation' where White will try to put as mitigating a slant as he can on the whole incident with an eye on another superfight and bumper payday in 2019. His principles will be 'on hold' for as long as McGregor remains valuable to the UFC. Once that ends he'll drop him in a hot second. That would be my bet anyway.

Wilf likes this.
  19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

20. bromley

Any streams?

21. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Till isn't a welterweight, he may boil down to the weight but as he says himself, it's ridiculous that he's even fighting at 170. Personally I agree with those who say that it's tantamount to cheating 'missing' weight by such margins. Penalising fighters a portion of their purse isn't sufficient imo, that doesn't help the other fighter who may have taken a shitload out of himself making the weight only to come up against an opponent who hasn't put his body through that. I think that's the 8th or 9th fighter who has 'missed weight' and gone on to win. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    elbows likes this.
  22. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Wonderboy won that fight. Disgraceful that he didn't.
    Goes to show what the UFC really is...

23. bromley

Was a close fight, I think you could have scored it either way. Was surprised by the unanimous decision.

Also surprised with the lack of effort in the last ten seconds. Was there more fist bumps than shots landed? :hmm:

24. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

So this new Evans right? He's not been the same for some time now. He's 37 and just taking a pay check maybe :) who wouldn't :)

this fast finish by Smith, maybe taking a fall ?

25. ice-is-forming

Omg did anyone else just get that weird song in the break! White guy rapping about having white pussy and his coffin picked out. Weird as fuck, I didn't know if it was satire or wtaf..:eek: I'm streaming..totallyanon

Maybe I'm just getting old :oops::hmm:

26. ice-is-forming

carla
    Fuck! What a poor decision!:hmm::mad:

27. bromley

Hope Woodley smashes Covington.

28. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Suspect he will... Covington's greatest strengths are his wrestling and conditioning but Woodley is no slouch there either and hits infinitely harder. Think he'll eventually KO him if they fight. Which would be no bad thing as Covington is a massive cunt.

bromley and Virtual Blue like this.
  29. S☼I

S☼I walk the water like a sun

I see McGregor is going to fight Nurmagomedov. Dislike McGregor I may do but you gave to admit he doesn't shy away from a challenge.

gawkrodger likes this.
  30. dshl

dshl Well-Known Member

McGregor v Khabib now. I believe in Russia, right? This is what fighting fans want to see! I real fight between two special fighters - a bit of story behind it, a grudge. Good stuff.