MMA - Mixed Martial Arts (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Bernie Gunther, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Amazing when you consider how strong Dana White's principles are.

Red Sky likes this.
  2. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

BJ Penn is a warrior. The guy lives, eats, sleeps fighting. If he wasn't fighting in the UFC, he would have ended up in Bellator or that piece of shit promotion, Rizin.

It's hard for UFC to close the door on him like that.
    He deserved a shot. He still has some fight left.

In many ways, I feel the same for Takanori Gomi - I love the guy. Some great memories watching him.
    But now, it's depressing.

3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Ah yes Rizin, where stupid matches can be booked that would often not be cleared by athletics commissions in the USA, and where drug cheats can go.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  4. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

How did he deserve a shot? He hasn't won a fight in over 6 years. Penn was an absolute beast in the early years of the UFC but the game has moved on massively and he's nudging 40 now. The organisation should have a duty of care to their fighters and stop mismatches like this from happening. I mean the guy is absolutely delusional as to where he stands in the MMA landscape - he was talking about making a run for the title before the fight. He should be saved from himself as much as anything.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    tendril likes this.
  5. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

There are some fighters I don't want to see hurt no more - Gomi, Sakuraba, Belfort, Evans (he in particular).

BJ Penn was the UFC light weight division in the 2000s. The guy obviously doesn't want to let go of that legacy.
    He been out for 2.5-3 years and the promoters throw him against a top 10 and 10-1 fighter.

BJ came out of retirement. He will find a way to fight if he wants to. He doesn't want to quit - what can the UFC promotion do (particularly when his fan base is the UFC)? Not give him a chance and he finds his way to a dodgy Japanese gig?

6. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

What BJ does outside of the UFC is beyond their control. What he does within it is. True they can't stop him fighting in some fourth rate organisation but they can stop him fighting under their banner where any beating receives maximum exposure. The people around BJ should be telling him he's finished as even a mid-level performer never mind contender.

tendril likes this.
  7. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I see Jones is being lined up for an immediate title shot when he returns :hmm:

8. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Anyone going to UFC London?

9. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

#calloutmayweather# :D

10. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Not exactly sure why Woodley is 6/5 in the rematch with Thompson... I actually thought he won the first fight and if he gets after it from the start I'd fancy him to stop him. If he gives him time and distance it could be a different story though.

11. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Not a chance.

12. ice-is-forming

If you're not watching 209 you should be! The prelims are on atm

That last fight!!!!!!

13. ice-is-forming

This one, she gonna get smashed! Can't watch...

And....

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Any GSP Bisping predictions?

It's an intriguing fight, and anything can happen in a fight, but on this occasion I can't resist going for 'GSP will be something of a shadow of his former self'. I hope he isn't loads worse than he was last time he fought because that won't be much fun, but I have serious reservations about this comeback.

15. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Yeah I think you’re right.
    It’s going to be shit IMO.
    Technically, GSP’s grappling is superior and I think his game plan will be to dominate Bisping with takedowns/ closing the distance - no chance he will stand toe-to-toe (that version of GSP disappeared sometime after the Hughes fight).

I’ve grown to admire Bisping.
    You know deep down he doesn’t mean half of the shit he says.

Both aren’t finishers.
    It’s a fight I don’t care much about.
    Great...GSP is back but the UFC has changed.

I predict it will be a bit like watching the newer Silva and Machida - painful.

I’m looking for forward for the Rose and Joanna fight.
    Both women are in their prime and Rose makes me wanna cry, I fucking love her spirit.
    And technically, her jits makes me wanna choke out a a stranger, my boss, the neighbour’s grandad...she is inspirational.

elbows likes this.
  16. bromley

Bisping
    Garbrandt
    Jedrzejczyk

Incredible card.

elbows likes this.
  17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

As a fan of pro-wrestling who started watching UFC 10 years ago, I always took his shit talk as being for promo purposes. Difference then was that few took him that seriously as a fighter, and certainly he improved a lot since I first saw him and earnt a lot more respect along the way.

Main reason I care is that I'm a bit stuck in the past due to not watching UFC cards on a regular basis in the last few years.

I may as well go out on a limb and predict that one of GSPs core attributes, such as speed or grappling strength, will have withered to the point that the fight won't go the distance.

Machidas chin has gone completely, which makes his recent fights especially hard to watch.

A great example of where I have become totally out of touch with current UFC. Will try to get back on the case with the upcoming show.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  18. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Have backed GSP @ 5/6. Think he'll have to much game for Bisping in spite of all the time out. Let's not forget he squeaked past a retiring Dan Henderson and could easily have been stopped v Silva... Sonnen's comments on the fight are very interesting, he says he's trained with both fighters and GSP is easily the stronger fighter, despite the weight disparity. Bisping could surprise me - he certainly did v Rockhold - but I just think GSP will grind out the win.

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I know what you mean now, not that I got to see her jits thanks to her shocking first round victory via strikes! Emotional for all the right reasons :D

Virtual Blue likes this.
  20. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Its a good thing I don't bet on sports :D

GSP looked very good in some important ways, which more than made up for any areas he's declined. He didn't seem rusty, though I guess questions will remain about his stamina at that weight.

21. bromley

Its a good thing you don't bet? Thank god I didn't! :eek::facepalm:
    What a show! :thumbs:

22. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

best event in ages

fishfinger and tendril like this.
  23. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

I won £136 for a £5 stake on a treble on the 3 championships :)

bromley, gawkrodger and fishfinger like this.
  24. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Bisping brutalised in the end... Never really had the feel of a true champ for me. Always felt he was the level just below the truly elite.

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

He needed a victory against GSP in order to change that perception. Obviously didn't happen, although he looked good from the bottom where his elbows made a mess of GSPs face.

Although GSP was not the withered mess I predicted, he still wasn't exactly amazing at that weight class and the amount of muscle he had put on looked potentially counterproductive. Looked beatable.

26. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I don't think he'll stick to the weight, pretty much said as much afterwards. Looked a fair bit bigger but I thought his jab was excellent. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he retired again.

elbows likes this.
  27. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

That said, White is already talking about GSP staying at 185 and fighting Whittaker...

28. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Dude, I watched that fight 3 times and cried every time.
    Love her man - she's great martial artist...

elbows likes this.
  29. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

'brutalised?' hardly call it a beating - he caught GSP quite few times.
    also, Bisping always look fucked from his fights, he's fucked if he's losing or winning.

i don't dislike him. he's a good fighter and plays the heel well. his mma record speaks for itself and i can think of much 'lesser' champions of late.

but GSP looked on form man...his superman punch/ jab - i remember throwing those when i first got into the sport...it was good to have two ole timers fighting so well.

bromley and elbows like this.
  30. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I'd classify choking someone to the point of unconsciousness being 'brutalised' yes. The only real damage Bisping inflicted was with the elbows from his guard. He was being routinely picked off on the feet by the jab of GSP. I thought the gulf in class was pretty marked personally.

tendril likes this.