MMA - Mixed Martial Arts (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Bernie Gunther, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

2. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

The fact that Rhonda lost in 48 seconds is mad! wtf has she been doing for the last year:confused:! she had no stand up defence skills what so ever, even CM Punk lasted longer :eek::D

Maybe shes been on holiday for a year and just took the fight for the $$$:hmm:

bromley likes this.
  3. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

It does seem that way doesn't it?
    Listening to Edmond's instructions during the fight, it appears the game plan was to duck and avoid Nunes' striking until she tired. Are you fucking serious?

Amanda Nunes is an amazing all rounder (awesome body too).

4. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

5. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Rousey losing like that was a cherry-on-top moment. She's let her mask slip a few times - recounting how she beat up her boyfriend like it was no big deal - so this was overdue. Brutally exposed as a fighter once she stepped outside her armbar comfort zone.

bromley and tendril like this.
  6. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I guess there are good reasons why Rouseys mum criticised her trainer publicly before Rousey lost her title. He is shit, but for reasons unknown she stuck with him and the result is another loss.

As for Rouseys personality, it was on full display in that series of the Ultimate Fighter she did, and seemed to indicate quite a profound personality disorder.

7. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

She could have had the personality of Ted Bundy and Dana White would have been cheerleading her. Whilst she was winning anyway.

8. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

There's no way they can hype her on $3million per fight. No sane fight fan will pay for that.
    She's done for and like every other fighter, will need to prove her abilities - but I doubt she has that fire in her now.

With the Roadhouse movie canned, she'll probably be involved with the Fast and Furious/ The Expendables Franchise. After that, she'll be in WWE and then Celebrity Big Brother 2025.

9. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

WWE won't be interested, she's a has been now (in their eyes). They can't book someone who looks weak in the UFC to look strong in WWE. Only route in for her would be to become an actual wrestler, her start power has diminished.

10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I believe this is misjudging exactly what they are looking for. She has been a huge star who still managed to draw impressive numbers for her last fight despite doing almost zero publicity for it. And she reaches a somewhat different demographic, one they will be keen to tap. They will use her if they get the chance, just as they used Tyson despite his great fighting days being behind him at the time.

Quite how quickly her star fades is a bit hard to predict but I'm sure WWE would take it now and even once it has faded greatly, just for less money. Right now I'm sure she is still a very hot commodity for them.

As for the logic of booking someone strong in the pro wrestling word of WWE when they've been smashed in MMA, again I dont think its that clearcut. The entire relationship between the imagined world of pro wrestling and that of mma is very wacky at the best of times anyway. And especially so in this WWE era where it is tacitly acknowledged that the wrestling is not real by the fact that people like Lesnar get to do special matches that incorporate mma-like stuff for added 'realism' and the deliberate promotion of such fights as being something different and special. They would still have done that with Lesnar even if his UFC comeback had been a loss, and they completely ignore parts of the real UFC story that dont suit them, such as Lesnars drug test failure. Having said that, I believe Stephanie recently mocked how long C M Punk lasted in his UFC fight when WWE fans were winding her up by chanting his name. They pick and choose what reality they choose to accept and incorporate into their shows!

bromley and ice-is-forming like this.
  11. bromley

Interesting point, and one from someone who knows his stuff about wrestling.

I believe Tyson was different, pretty sure his run was just after being suspended from biting Holyfield which made him easy to promote as the world's most dangerous man. I can't see the drawing power anymore of Rousey. I could be wrong.

12. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Something very wrong about comparing Mike Tyson to Ronda Rousey on any level...

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

14. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I remember when people use to say that Tyson was overrated.
    How if he was around the golden era of the 1970s, he would had faced a difficult challenge in sustaining any sort of unbeaten run.

Ronda is 12-2.
    That isn't bad for a 29 year old. If she gets her head down, she could be the Demian Maia of women's MMA. Her division is still fresh and evolving.

And she's a crap actress.
    WWE is still a possibility...

As Mayweather said, she's unbeaten in 2017 :)

15. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Anyone who seriously claims that was talking bollocks. Tyson had a short prime, about 4 years (86-89) but during that time he was the best heavyweight I've seen. The Golden Era of the 70s produced some great fighters but Tyson would have demolished most of them. Only Ali with his uncanny ability to figure out other fighters' styles would seriously have pushed him in my opinion.

16. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Now, we're going into boxing territory - hell, I love both sports!
    You reckon Tyson would had beaten up Foreman, Frazier, Norton? And if he was around bang on 1970s, Patterson?
    I don't know - boxing was starting to get bit shit when Tyson was in his prime.

17. bromley

Tyson's prime is one of the most overrated things in sport. Would Foreman, Frazier and Norton have lose to James "Buster" Douglas during their prime? The only name on Tyson's resume of that time is Micheal Spinks (Tyson's bet performance IMO) and a lot of experts say he was on the way down prior to that fight. Like Larry Holmes and the Klitschkos I think Tyson suffered from not having any proper competition in the division during his time, but unlike them his legacy hasn't been affect as a result. David Price was knocking out bums on at the start of his career too.

I personally rate Lewis above Tyson.

18. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

He would have obliterated Patterson... He was never a natural heavyweight imo. Read a quality book on him in the summer, fascinating man of great complexity.

I'd have tipped him to beat any of the fighters you mentioned. True the heavyweight division wasn't great when he was about but you can only beat what's put in front of you and he did that comprehensively. And the 80s were a golden age for boxing, some all-time greats peaked during that decade - Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Salvador Sanchez, Holyfield (as cruiser), Khaosai Galaxy etc. Puts the current lack of depth to shame.

19. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

20. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Tyson didn't lose to Buster Douglas in his prime though did he? He was an absolute mess when they fought - confirmed by numerous sources - hadn't trained, strung out on coke, no endswell ffs... I wouldn't even dignify the David Price reference as it's retarded. As for Lewis, you may need to remember he got sparked cold by Hasim Rahman when he was at his peak and he was certainly no better than Douglas.

LiamO likes this.
  21. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Tyson vs Buster Douglas - one of the best fights I can remember.

Both men were going through emotional turmoil and fought like beasts.

22. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

It was a cracking fight aye. People tend to forget that due to the huge nature of the upset. Douglas always had talent and certainly all the physical tools. Yes it was a massive shock but when you have a motivated and determined fighter like that who isn't afraid of his opponent you always have a chance.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  23. bromley

Virtual Blue likes this.
  24. bromley

Lewis obliterated him in the rematch. Change David Price to Anthony Joshua then. :p

25. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

A motivated and ready Tyson would have done the same to Douglas. The 90s version of Tyson doesn't begin to compare to the 80s one when he had D'Amato, Jacobs and Rooney behind him.

26. bromley

That's Dom King for you.

27. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Yeah, hateful. Ruined countless fighters.

bromley likes this.
  28. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

29. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

BJ Penn needs to retire before he gets seriously hurt.

30. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

Everyone said that after his last fight. UFC shouldn't have signed him again. :(