1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA - Mixed Martial Arts (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Bernie Gunther, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Its Hammock Time

What a great main event!

tendril likes this.
  2. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Indeed. Henderson is still a machine at 46. I had it one round to Bisping due to finishing on his feet in the first round, otherwise I would have scored that 10-8 and a draw. Rockhold wins the rematch with ease.

3. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Yet to see it but from what I've read Bisping squeaked it. Backed him to win on points, not sure why he was running his mouth about knocking Henderson 'the fuck out', that was never going to happen.

4. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Hendo is amazing at 46 - I hope I'll be as strong and quick when I hit that age.

Rockhold wins with ease? Shit happens man.
    Bisping has alot of spirit and heart. That sometimes can make a good fighter great.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Bisping's win over Rockhold has been described as the biggest shock in MMA history and whilst I don't necessarily agree with that, it WAS a massive shock. Rockhold can say it was 'lucky' all he wants but Bisping threw the punch with intent, it connected, and he stopped him. That said, I still make Rockhold the far superior fighter and would expect him to stop him early if they fought again.

bromley likes this.
  6. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

They said the same with Weidman/ Silva Anderson, GSP/ Serra etc - it's all hype and like I said, Bisping has heart and never should be underestimated. Rockhold himself should know better (remember his fight against Belfort?).

7. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

This is a very good pro-fight, excellent grappling (sambo vs BJJ) from a non-UFC promotion.

8. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Rockhold's only glaring weakness is his ego. He's been stopped 3 times now but I can't see that ushering in any humility. Always seems pissed too, even after victories.

9. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

One from the, ahem, less restrained UFC era:

10. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Stumbled across this video of Khabib.
    That throw on 7 seconds, the kid has some serious skills.

tendril likes this.
  11. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

When UFC was more fun.
    Kung Fu vs Boxing.
    BJJ vs Muay Thai
    Etc.

Keeping it simple.

12. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Unbelievable card on this weekend. may be the best I have seen in the UFC. Think Alvarez v McGregor has all the makings of a classic, ditto the Woodley v Thompson match-up. Throw into the mix Khabib v Johnson, Cerrone v Gastelum and Romero v Weidman and you have an absolutely stacked card. Am still very split on the co-main events, could make a case for all those involved. Think if McGregor fights smart he could break down Alvarez like Cerrone did but if he trades with him and remains static he could be stopped. In the other fight I think Woodley could surprise people. Ellenberger had Wonderboy hurt in their fight before he collapsed and Woodley hits even harder and is a lot more explosive. Just hope the fights live up to the billing.

13. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Tony Ferguson vs RDA UFC FIght Night 98 - one of the best fights for a long while.
    I really believe Ferguson and Khabib are the best challengers for the belt.

tendril likes this.
  14. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Backed Ferguson to win but have yet to see the fight. Very well-rounded fighter, will surely get a title shot now.

tendril likes this.
  15. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Hope you didn't go to the Bookies this time either.

16. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Alvarez was lucky against RDA and today, was outclassed in every way.
    If you look at his body language, he was too hesitant in everything he did.

McGregor fought brilliantly mind.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    bromley likes this.
  17. bromley

Ha, cute! No I kept away from betting on it, mma is very unpredictable. Would like to see Conor defeat a belt, hopefully the LW against Ferguson.

18. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Thought the card didn't really live up to expectations... Best fight by far was the Woodley bout - had him dominating the 1st and 4th with one even and Wonderboy taking the other two. Not exactly sure how the 4th was scored a 10-8 round by only one judge, Woodley absolutely battered him that round and should have stopped him as he had him very badly hurt early in it. Surely damage inflicted has to come into it? Lighting your opponent up with hurtful punches and flooring them has to take precedence over workrate for me. Wonderboy's face was a mess for much of the fight, Woodley looked like he didn't have a scratch on him. Think he can justly feel himself hard-done by.

19. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I liked Weidman vs Romero. Jesus Christ, that flying knee :facepalm:

Khabib and Johnson was the most enjoyable. Khabib is a real clever grappler and eats up anyone thrown in front of him. How the hell is someone suppose to defend against this?

20. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Aye Khabib looked mightily impressive once he took Johnson down. Did look like he got rattled by a shot before he did that though, so if he fought McGregor (who hits a hell of a lot harder than Johnson) I think it'd be a fascinating match-up.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  21. bromley

22. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Was never going to drop back down to 145 imo, doubt it was a case of Whire putting his foot down. He wouldn't say shit to McGregor if his mouth was full of it.

23. bromley

Indeed, was know for a while but he kept hold of it for the photo opportunity.

24. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

october_lost, elbows and fishfinger like this.
  25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I've only been half paying attention to this story but I think I heard that the involvement of Bjorn Rebney is already poisoning this particular attempt.

Meanwhile more fiascos relating to Cris Cyborg. They are creating a new weight division for her to fight at, but it seems like the weight is still too low for her. She told them she couldnt fight on the show they wanted to debut the division on, because she couldnt cut that much weight in time, so missed out and they had to book a different fight instead for that division. Then she publicly moaned about UFC making her cut weight and about missing the opportunity to have that fight. But when she signed with them it was with the promise that she could get down to an even lower weight within a certain timeframe. And now she seems to have failed an out-of-competition drug test - and it is being said that this drug was being used as part of her treatment for health issues caused by a nightmare weigh-cut she had for her previous fight. That defence will only go so far though because the substance in question is on the banned list and you have to tell the relevant authorities if you are taking it and apply for an exemption if there is a decent medical explanation, and she didnt do that.

The situation is even more stupid because on the same show that detailed her nightmare weight cut and how such things jeopardise her health, she was shown power-lifting. No wonder she cant make the weight she signed up for when she is still addicted to being so big in the muscle department! I dont think its an exaggeration to say that she has cost herself millions of dollars in income by failing to suspend that side of her life for a year or two and get down to a weight to fight Rhonda Rousey during the period where that was a 'dream fight'. I'm sure the UFC would still like to use her but there remains a lack of women big enough to fight Cyborg at a weight that Cyborg can currently reach.

26. ice-is-forming

Ufc 207 starting in two hours! :)

27. ice-is-forming

omgosh!
    $1000 won so far on Rousey losing!

and
    half that on Cody winning today

on a roll! :D

bromley, tendril and baldrick like this.
  28. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Just woke up.
    I normally stay away from spoilers but so wanted Ronda to lose.
    And she did :)

Will catch up after training session.

29. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Why did you want her to lose? Admittedly, I was pretty certain she would. Nunes is very impressive. She had some things to say about Rousey's coach after, I don't know what the story is there but it seems fair comment.

Enjoyed the Dillashaw fight also.

30. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

She lacks humility.
    The way she behaves, in and out of the ring - she's like a spoilt child.

bromley, Bonesy and baldrick like this.