1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA - Mixed Martial Arts (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Bernie Gunther, Jan 14, 2010.

1. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

to be fair, he looked 10 times better in the last episode of that CM Punk show which the UFC has put out (and I've actually quite enjoyed).

He still loses

2. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Hopefully if punk does continue a mma career it won't be at UFC level. What a joke that fight was.

3. gawkrodger

it was a weird event all round!

ice-is-forming likes this.
  4. tendril

tendril And?

that Werdum/Brown fight was well dodgy. Illegal time out, nearly a fight at the announcement with the cornermen. Bruce having to take charge and admopnish the ref.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I gave McGregor the first 2 rounds, the second by 10-8 as he had him on his hoop twice and was badly outclassing him on the feet, the third was Diaz, fourth McGregor and I gave Diaz the last. I think people are making far too much out of Diaz's performance personally. I rate him very highly and tipped him to win both fights but the rematch wasn't really that close for me. McGregor's striking in those opening two rounds was on another level and he stuffed all of Diaz's takedown attempts bar the one in the dying seconds. Diaz is talking like he got stiffed out of a decision, personally I thought it was closer than it should have been.

6. bromley

You've scored it like a boxing match. Diaz went down twice in the second. The second time very suspect but neither time did McGregor capitalise, letting Diaz up and refusing to gauge with him. Diaz also ended the round strong. A 10-9 round and the one people debate on who won. The closest to a 10-8 was the third and credit to McGregor for clearly winning the 4th after the beating in the 3rd.

7. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I scored it according to the quality and accuracy of his striking and the way he controlled the flow of the round. Diaz never got near him. I disagree that the second knockdown was 'very suspect', it was a good shot and Diaz never goes down easily, ever. As for 'refusing to engage' when he was on the mat, I call that smart fighting. Diaz's bjj is different class, the one area of the fight where McGregor could be easily outclassed. Besides, McGregor was never going to stop him on the mat, best hope (and a slim one at that) was to keep it on the feet and that's exactly what he did. Watching a fight is a very subjective thing, I've watched it twice now and that's my honest take on it.

8. bromley

Anyone else bored with McGreggor's press conferences?

9. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Not yet but he does need to change his "bum life to riches line."
    He is underestimating Alvarez - didn't he see the Petits' fight?

10. bromley

I think McGreggor is overrated/lucky and this may be the fight that exposes him. I thought the same about the Aldo fight, obviously got proven wrong but where's the rematch? No wonder Aldo wants out. It's disappointing how Dana lets McGreggor call the shots, he's succeeded in killing the featherweight division.

11. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Let's face it, the feather division died a long time ago.
    Things get more interesting at Lightweight and ridiculously challenging at Welterweight.

It's a business.
    Aldo missed a big pay cheque.
    He is able to fight another guy but doesn't want to.
    Deep down he knows he will forever be in Mcgregor's shadow as the 13 second guy. He has no chance of redemption and that must hurt.

Aldo should retire. He's a proven champ among MMA fans.

Dana called the fight that will generate the most revenue.

The guy I feel most sorry for is Khabib.
    What the hell must he do to get a title shot?

12. gawkrodger

to be fair re: Khabib, he's fought once in nearly 30 months!

13. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

But Mcgregor's 2nd opponent is THE title shot.

14. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

"Every weekend, I want every Asian to watch their superheroes on television and be rooting for them," ONE Chairman Chatri Sityodtong tells the International Business Times UK.

Amen.

ONE reminds me of Pride.
    Hope it comes together.

15. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I don't think McGregor is overrated at all - dusted Poirier in a round and he'd never been stopped, beat Holloway with a blown ACL, sparked Mendes who had only ever lost to Aldo and then there was the Aldo fight itself... He may not be everyone's cup of tea - and isn't mine - but his fighting credentials can't really be called into question. If he wasn't such a gobshite my bet would be there'd be a far greater appreciation of what he's actually done.

16. bromley

Something I forgot, Aldo turned down the McGreggor rematch after RDA pulled out. Obviously it was a late notice but still!

1st!;)

Er, he got stopped by Diaz! Mendes was a late call up and Connor got very lucky in that fight IMO.

Most annoying thing about McGreggor, Bisping is defending his title against Henderson on Saturday in Manchester and there's no mention of it above. :facepalm:

17. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Er, where did I say he hadn't got stopped by Diaz? Some all-time great fighters got stopped earlier in their UFC careers than McGregor and still went on to do great things. Plus he was fighting 2 divisions above his championship weight against a top-notch Welter. How many fighters have done that?

And if you're talking about lucky then you'd have to file Bisping's win over Rockhold in that category. If they fought again I venture Rockhold would stop him brutally.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  18. bromley

When you said he's never been stopped. Nate Diaz isn't a top notch welter!

I make you right if a Rockhold Bisping rematch occurs.

19. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

I think Bonesy meant poirier hadnt been stopped before his fight with McGregor?

20. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

I said Poirier had never been stopped.

21. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

By 'stopped' I meant via strikes btw, not submitted.

22. bromley

Had a feeling I'd read that wrong! Submission is a stoppage.

23. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Stopped via strikes then :rolleyes:

24. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

bromley vs Bonsey.

Who will win?

25. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

Bonesy via verbal submission due to strikes.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  26. bromley

Aye, he's already put me to sleep with his nonsense.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  27. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

28. Bonesy

Bonesy 9"

:D

Calm down dear.

29. bromley

;)

30. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Its Hammock Time

woho! my friend, the tarantula, just won his fight on Brace, it was on fight pass. He's just coming off back to back losses so this'll really cheer him up :)

bromley and tendril like this.