Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Jeff Robinson, May 15, 2019.

1. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Including in cases of rape and incest. Goal is to challenge Roe v Wade, which could be overturned now that the sexual predator Trump has appointed 2 rightwing justices to the Supreme Court (including an accused sexual assaulter and attempted rapist). Disgusting beyond words.

Alabama passes bill banning abortion

2. Idris2002

Idris2002 Xmas eve, you know?

The bottom line: they do this because they can, because they know they can get away with it.

And that's because the Democrats have always let them get away with everything else in the past.

muscovyduck, teqniq, NoXion and 3 others like this.
  3. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

The only good thing about this is that hopefully it will inspire the push back needed against Trump. There must come a point where the majority start to rebel.

Lupa likes this.
  4. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Wake me in a thousand years...

Passed by 25 votes to six.
    Deplorable and despairing, how bad will situations get before this madness ends?
    Fascist ideology.

5. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

I'll tell you what will happen to Trump because of this. Nothing.

6. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I honestly don't know how he gets away with the shit he does. Sadly it's not just misogynist men who support him, but a lot of women too. I can't get my head around it.

7. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

We are living in strange times.

Pickman's model and Johnny Vodka like this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

If all the things that have happened thus far haven't done that I see no reason for this to be the straw that breaks the camel's back

9. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I fear you underestimate how many there are in US who, even if they dislike Trump, are not entirely unsympathetic to this ideology.

10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Self-cleaning oven, the whole bit.

Yes this isn't a Trump thing at all IMO. These anti-abortion dinosaurs have been around for a long time and will still be there when Trump is long gone. Difference now is that they've got the supreme court, which seems to only ever make decisions on party lines and so really shouldn't be called a 'court' at all.

11. polly

polly Well-Known Member

kalidarkone and Jeff Robinson like this.
  12. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

Next they will be abolishing votes for women, the cunts.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I can't see this Handmaid's Tale shit being a big vote-winner for Trump in 2020, at least not in the swing states he'll need to win to get re-elected.

14. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Wake me in a thousand years...

Sadly this can be achieved by creating inequality and the realisation of voter apathy.

15. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

This shit only really got started because the evangelicals needed a "moral crusade" to avoid awkward questions about their continued support for segregation:mad:.

Although their mistresses and daughters will still have access as they can be flown out of state or to Canada if they make a "mistake"

muscovyduck, Ming, teqniq and 3 others like this.
  16. Idris2002

Same goes for the mistresses and daughters of the Democratic party's "great and good" - which is one reason why those useless sods are particularly useless in this case.

17. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I'm (a bit ridiculously considering I'm in the UK) part of a self-organised group of women, mostly based in the US and Canada, who are offering places to stay for women from states where abortion is outlawed or restricted, and help with travel costs. There has been a fair amount of organisation since Trump started threatening to turn the Supreme Court fully nutjob conservative. Of course it won't be enough, and the poorest women will suffer the worst from this, as with everything.

18. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

My understanding is that it's totally a Trump thing: the purpose of this isn't to bring in insanely restrictive abortion laws in Alabama, but to provoke a supreme court case which gives them the opportunity to overturn Roe vs Wade - which is only now possible since recent Trump appointments to the supreme court.

muscovyduck, Ming, NoXion and 2 others like this.
  19. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Yep - I don't think Trump has especially strong feelings either way on abortion, he used to go around saying he was pro-choice, but he knows that being very tough on abortion is the best way to woo the kind of Bible-thumping voters who would normally consider him the Antichrist.

muscovyduck, Lupa, Nylock and 3 others like this.
  20. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

I interpreted Frank's post as meaning anti-abortionism isn't a Trump thing, not that this particular legislature manoeuvre wasn't made possible by Trump's Supreme Court appointments.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  21. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

Yeah, you're right.

likesfish likes this.
  22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Alabama is the state which until 2015 required all school text books that mention evolution to have a sticker on the front stating that evolution is a "controversial theory".

Religious dickhead scumbags being dickhead scumbags, as per.

muscovyduck, Lupa, kebabking and 3 others like this.
  23. SpookyFrank

Indeed. I'm wary of crediting Trump with any kind of ideology or principles at all because I don't believe he has any. If there was another republican president and a republican-controlled supreme court the same shit would still be happening. Control of the supreme court in particular is a republican project that predates Trump and represents part of a long-term strategy which Trump's election actually threatened to derail. All the other republican candidates were small-state, Friedman/Buchanan types who would have been even more committed to the salami-slicing away of civil soicety, social protection and democratic oversight than Trump has been in his hamfisted, arse-backwards approach to everything.

likesfish and littlebabyjesus like this.
  24. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Yet still more liberal than abortion laws in NI.
    #solidarity

tim, ddraig, wayward bob and 9 others like this.
  25. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yep, agreed. and it's just an accident that Trump's term has coincided with appointments. It's a weird system where the ongoing survival of some ancient judge is possibly the most important factor in the way a country's laws will go.

a_chap and likesfish like this.
  26. SpookyFrank

Yup, hence the ailing Ginsberg clinging on until 2020. If the republicans have the chance to replace her with another patsy that's the supreme court sewn up for a decade or more.

likesfish likes this.
  27. littlebabyjesus

I can't find it now, but I read a brilliant piece deconstructing the decisions of the SC over the decades. It showed how not only could you predict the judgements just from who appointed the judge, but also the nature of the arguments used, which would flip-flop to suit the case: originalist when it suited, 'modern' when it suited. Their job is simply to produce a legal justification of the political position they were appointed to defend, and those justifications are wildly inconsistent with one another when lined up in a row. When you dig into their judgements, that becomes so apparent they should be embarrassed by it really.

28. Idris2002

There's nothing in the constitution about the numbers who should be on the court - but the useless Democrats haven't got the guts to pack the thing.

Nylock, SpookyFrank and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  29. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

The trouble with that is that once you establish that as the norm, anyone can use the same tactic.

CRI likes this.
  30. littlebabyjesus

A Supreme Court with 10,000 judges! 100,000 judges. A people's court. Bring it on.

existentialist likes this.