Misc railway, traction, station and steam engine-related news

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Sep 4, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thought this might be an interesting thread for little snippets of news that aren't worth a thread of their own.

Let me start you off with this weird rail crossing in Australia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cane train crossing the QR main line near Bundaberg, Australia

Tom A, Greebo, neonwilderness and 3 others like this.
  2. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Those cane railways in north Queensland are really extensive, I was unlucky not to see a train on them when I was over in March, but out of season they don't get a lot of traffic and some sections have been abandoned and road used instead.

3. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

A bridge near Greymouth in New Zealand that is shared by cars and trains. Wouldn't fancy a game of chicken on this one. It's the sort of thing that would make the ORR have kittens in this country.

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

*subscribes*

existentialist and Sprocket. like this.
  5. Crispy

Ooh, actually I have a contribution.

On the Central Andean Railway in Peru, some steep sections are climbed by running the train into a siding, switching the points and then reversing back up the other track. I took this picture from the rear of the train. We've come from the left and are about to head up the right. There were about ten switchbacks like this in a row, as the track zig-zagged its way up the side of a mountain. The driver's assistant had to switch them by hand each time (poor bloke had to walk the length of the train 10 times).

[​IMG]

6. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

You will find a fair few switich backs like that on the Darjeeling Himalaya Railway too

Crispy likes this.
  7. SikhWarrioR

Certain parts of Glasgow pre 1962 the shipyards were accessed over Glasgow Corporation Tramways with the Railway locomotives and wagons running on their flanges due to difference between the profile of Railway wheels and the then Tramway wheels Hence the odd Glasgow gauge of 4 foot 7 & 7/8th inch

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Station toilets are profitable things:

9. Crispy

A child's plaything compared to the Ferrocarril Central Andino :D
    The highest station is Galera at 4,777m (15,000ft or so). Go for a piss here and it'll end up in the Pacific. Go through the adjacent tunnel and you'll be pissing in the Atlantic.

10. SikhWarrioR

Speaking of interesting high attitude machinery I hear the 1930's built in Hull Steamship "SS Olantta" and reassembled on Lake Titicaca no longer runs in revenue service, She was on my must do bucket list of trips

Crispy likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. SikhWarrioR

They did do tests on the Channel Tunnel fire and smoke detection systems using a steam locomotive prior to opening though any steam locomotives going through the chunnel now would no doubt have have to be towed through dead

13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Can you imagine what the smoke would be like in the cab or the train halff way through the tunnel? The whiff of smoke and even a few smuts in a carriage from a hard working steam engine is wonderfully evocative. But half way through the chunnel and everone would be in need of oxygen.
    When steam ran on the tube, I imagine there were measures in place for it's extraction and in any event most of the journeys were short. Imagine about an hour in the chunnel with no such provision?

14. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

The "underground's" locos were deigned to consume their own smoke and were "condensing" types - if you want to choke on smoke try one of the Welsh narrow gauge lines, or the main line Pont y Pant into Bleanau Ffestiniog can be "interesting" - it is bad even on a dmu.
    Historically, the single bore Combe Down tunnels on the S&DJR out of Bath were notorious; indeed there were several accidents (and at least one was fatal) due to smoke overcoming footplate crews. I dread to think how the goods guards managed at the back.

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

That's cheating! Alishan railway in Taiwan gets to the top without such trickery by going round in knots and tunnels.

This squiggle on the map is just a simplification of that stage:

[​IMG]

17. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

I don't know if it would be the same tunnels, but around Bath there's a relatively new cycle route. It goes through two very long tunnels - the longest you can go through - assumingly as a pedestrian / cyclist.

Bath Two Tunnels Circuit - Map

A very good excuse for a trip to Bath with your bike!

18. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Why would you bother at Victoia. Weatherspoons have excellent facilities.

19. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

There's an interesting piece on those cane railways here.

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Yep, they're the ones ...

21. SikhWarrioR

The old tunnels at Woodhead where notorious for smoke with up to four locomotives on a heavy train [two on the front and two on the back] no doubt one of the reasons the LNER [finished by BR] started electrifaction work in the late 1930s

22. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I videoed this at Bath earlier.

I was momentarily tempted by the two tunnels, but making it a circular route was more than I could face - plus I always get lost when I try to come back via Priston and Saltford.

23. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

I went to Great Yarmouth on Saturday, timing my trip over from Norwich to travel on this:

aIMAG0207.jpg

Top-and-tail class 37s are doing the non-stop Norwich-Yarmouth services this summer, AFAIK covering for a shortage of DMUs. Yes, I did spent most of the journey at the front of the train, leaning out of the window right below the 'don't lean out of the window' notice, and arrived half-deafened, windswept and with a face-full of diesel fumes. There's nothing like the sound of a 37 getting stuck in. :cool: :D

It's remarkable, the number of spotters they've attracted. There were loads of photographers at either end, and I'd estimate that a good third of the people on the train were there just for the ride. Much as I hate to say it, some of them were rather *ahem* odd characters. :D

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I fucking love Class 37s! They still regularly pass my house and even my girlfriend can recognise them by their sound alone now!

SikhWarrioR likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The livery on that train is atrocious by the way. Tacky as fuck!

26. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Here, have another look. :p

aIMAG0209.jpg

I don't mind it, actually - there are a lot of worse liveries out there. At least it's not queasy First purple or Virgin East Coast's new livery, which is mainly white and will look grimy as hell after a few weeks in winter.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's that font that does it. MS paint all the way.

28. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

It does look a bit "I haven't got an italic font, so I'll just do a parallelogram distort on the bitmap" :)

ETA: personally, I can't see what would have been wrong with

directrailservices.png

:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    editor likes this.
  29. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Ooooh, lucky you, I've always wanted to travel on that.

30. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Hang on, there's something v wrong with that pic.