Mini Pc's ...is this pants or not pants

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Tankus, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Ive got a supposedly smart Samsung 32" with no aerial in the kitchen, so I just watch bits and bobs off the wifi .....but using a samsung remote to get around the tvs slow clunky operating system is an utter phaff , and forget web surfing ...

Ive seen this on amazon @ £215
    Beelink Mini PC N41 DDR4 6G/128G SSD Intel Gemini lake Celeron N4100 Processor Support SSD Expandable Windows 10 Mini Computer(Dual HDMI2.0 4K Output/1000Mbps LAN /USB3.0 * 4)
    Beelink Mini PC N41 DDR4 6G/128G SSD Intel Gemini lake Celeron N4100 Processor Support SSD Expandable Windows 10 Mini Computer(Dual HDMI2.0 4K Output/1000Mbps LAN /USB3.0 * 4)

by Beelink
    Which would give me a windows " experience "on my tv , basic web surfing with a keyboard and mouse , and access to my NAS on my network .... does this seem like a good punt ? or can anyone suggest a better option , I dont fancy an andriod box , or am I missing something ?

The bigger ssd means it will be more future proof ,for the bigger windows updates
    Ive got plenty of storage on my NAS

Is that pentuim one worth the extra £100 ?

2. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man Banned

What will you be using it for?
    I actually have the J4205 in my bedroom, and all I use it for is running Kodi, and a bit of browsing and YouTube. I've since bought a much cheaper Android box, and I wish I hadn't bought the Intel jobbie, as it's not really that much faster that it can command 4X the price of the Android box. I definitely wish I'd bought four of the Android boxes instead.
    This is them:

A95X Max S905X2 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 1000M LAN 2.4G 5G WIFI Bluetooth 4.2 Android 8.1 4K USB3.0 H.265 VP9 TV Box Mini PC Support SATA 2.5 Inch HDD Video Recording

I stuck a 500GB SSD in because I had it lying around. Definitely worth the money.

Tankus and cybershot like this.
  3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's worth figuring out what the minimum spec for acceptable 4K output is, assuming you're going to make use of that now or in future. Functioning 4K output, as in being physically able to draw a picture at 2160p, is very different from being able to render a 4K film smoothly.

I built a TVPC last year but the case (Streacom F7CWS) and PSU alone cost me about £200. The whole thing came to maybe £700. That's overkill but the happy medium is probably somewhere in between.

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I’ve got an Apple TV 4K. With mrmc media centre installed on it. (Costs £6) Which is basically Kodi but without the ability to install pirate add ons. Which you won’t need if you’re connecting to your nas. Which is exactly what I use for it. Plays 4K HDR 10bit x265 flies without issue. Plus you get all your standard bbc iplayer, itv hub, Netflix and amazon etc etc etc apps. Can’t fault it for the price. Boots fast and easy to use.

Amazon sell the 64GB model for £179. The same price apple sell the 32GB model for.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    mauvais and The39thStep like this.
  5. Tankus

Basic 1080, Nas access for photos and music, plus web surfing..... with internet access being its primary use....maybe an andriod box is the way.....Under £70 doesnt grind as much as £200 plus....if it doesn't work out and is laggy while surfing .... think i may pop for the A95x on the weekend....it seems to have good reviews.....
    It should take a keyboard and mouse ....shouldnt it ?

I did look at that one on amazon ....Heh £99 on there...jokers

Cheers for all the replies

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

We've been considering something like this but would primarily use it to watch the sort of dodgy malware infested badness you find linked on Reddit soccerstreams. Does the team think an Android or Kodi based box is a better bet for navigating to such a stream and getting decent performance while also having solid network security?

7. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I get either a Firestick or android box and then pay for an iptv service which includes 3.oclock kos and world sports.For £8 a month OTTTV is good, all football and sports, Sky cinema, etc, three day catch up plus films and boxsets and they have a Discord account for any problems /advice/tutorials. In box me if you want any further info.

8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Thankyou, I'll mull it over.

9. Saul Goodman

They do take a keyboard and mouse.
    If you're buying from the link above, select priority line for shipping, that way customs don't get their hands on it, and you don't pay import duty.

Tankus likes this.
  10. Tankus

Very nice..... Ta for the link

Saul Goodman likes this.
  11. Tankus

Had a hard think , as to what I would use it for ...as tempting as that andriod one is ...Im going to go for a mini pc ....I need windows to be able to use Canon professional , although cheers Saul for your input , that may be still a punt at a future date for a bedroom tv

12. Saul Goodman

I totally stand under you, but don't expect that machine to run anything that requires a lot of CPU power. Its sole purpose is similar to that of the Android box, and running Windows 10, it'll be excruciatingly slow for CPU intensive apps.

13. Tankus

Just crop and resize .....certainly not for stitching ..I get it .....specs are not far off my old xp computer ...which was set up a stitch , and go and make a cup of tea ...heh...still .....its a big step up from a smart tv

Arrives tomorrow

14. Tankus

Im on it now..... went for a Kodlix GN41 Fanless MIN PC 4K@60Hz, 8GB Ram/64GB eMMC/Support SSD&HDD, 4K@60Hz Intel Gemini Lake Celeron GN4100 (4MB, up to 2.4G)/ UHD Graphics 600/2.4G+5.8G
    win 10 64bit prof.... in the end , for surfing , it feels as fast as my gaming pc ......slight stutter on you tube 2160 but smooth as silk on 1080 , that my be my low connection speed.
    It now sits on my breakfast bar, it came with a bracket to mount to the back of the TV .. but then it would a phaff with the USB plugs
    amazingly easy cortana guided setup to all my accounts ...well pleased

going to strip out a surplus 250gb ssd ,and theres a £20 ,128 gb Tf card also on order , but thats due on monday , then Ill load the canon software .....I just want to keep the 64gb onbard just windows vanilla

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. mauvais

Yer thread made me feel bad for having spent so much when I could probably have done it for much less, yet in the end you're not far off. What made you decide to go for what's effectively a proper PC?

16. Tankus

windows ......

mauvais likes this.
  17. Tankus

Ah ... That link is buggered.. The specs are correct it before you click on it.. was £215 celeron kodlix
    This is the one

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. mauvais

Ah fair play. I think Celeron is built into the board, right? Not a separate CPU you can replace. I think that accounts for a fair bit of money.

19. Tankus

You can put an ssd in And increase the 64gb.... And thats it

mauvais likes this.