Milo Yiannoupoulis banned!

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Biscuitician, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Biscuitician

Biscuitician Banned Banned

Milo Yiannoupoulis.

PERMA banned from Twitter
    (presumably at least until he figures out how to make a sock account obviously).

Happy fucking days!

2. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Literally who?

3. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

you could offer some advice.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

some twat

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

How's the move to bristol going?

6. Artaxerxes

Well he's on Twitter, so goes without saying. I'm sure there are some lovely people on there but for the most part its a big echoey Twat cavern.

7. Pickman's model

the app that launched a hundred thousand shit stories in newspapers

muscovyduck, Sprocket. and Badgers like this.
  8. Artaxerxes

I have mixed feelings on that, I mean on the plus side its scrapped a few journalists but on the negative side the really fucking awful lazy journalists like half the Guardian columnists seem to be still going strong and retwatting happily.

9. Biscuitician

I'm waiting to hear from the WCA people.

So, it's not at present.

10. Biscuitician

I don't want him back on twitter

11. Biscuitician

Well the article sort of answers.

But he's a nasty right wing troll, sometimes popping up on BBC panel shows, and was instrumental in the GamerGate shit show, bullying a whole bunch of people. This seems to be his MO.

12. Pickman's model

i hope they ask your opinion before deciding whether to readmit him then.

Celt, Luther Blissett, Mab and 2 others like this.
  13. Biscuitician

What are you saying? I don't run twitter. He got banned - and has been before, though not permanently - because he promotes hate speech. Have you seen the kind of shit Leslie Jones has had to put up with?

14. Pickman's model

i didn't say you did run twitter, and i would have been surprised to discover you did. i am saying your views matter not a jot to twitter.

Badgers likes this.
  15. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

I initially thought it was the chocolate flavoured drink that had been banned

16. Biscuitician

I'm just glad that a hateful nasty bigot has been finally removed permanently. Do you disagree?

17. Pickman's model

no, because i don't expect it to be permanent. i imagine he'll find other platforms and carry on being a nasty piece of work

Luther Blissett and Badgers like this.
  18. butchersapron

Don't tempt us so...

19. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Not sure it warrants an entire thread on urban, but definitely a good thing - it's about time Twitter started making examples of some of the people leading the campaigns of abuse on there.

muscovyduck and Biscuitician like this.
  20. Biscuitician

Twitter can only deal with its own users.

21. Pickman's model

yeh well you're more confident than i that their decision is set in stone.

Luther Blissett and Badgers like this.
  22. Biscuitician

It isn't a question of confidence. As you noted that i said it is entirely possible he may create a sock. I don't know how Twitter's permaban's work, but at the very least this sends a message and as such I endorse it. Milo has had plenty of opportunities not to be a massively hateful cunt and everytime he's resorted to all kinds of bigotry.

23. Pickman's model

i didn't say anything about a sock. i said i was less confident than you are that twitter's decision is set in stone. do you not see the difference between someone being banned and the banner overturning their previous decision, and someone using a sockpuppet account? fucking chalk and cheese, biscuitician, fucking chalk and cheese.

Badgers likes this.
  24. Biscuitician

So you're saying that they could rescind their ban?

They could, but so what? As yet that hasn't happened and I don't see any reason to assume it will. If it does, it does. I'm not sure what you're driving at tbh. This is still the right decision and, for now at least, I endorse it. If they rescind their ban, assuming no good reason, then that would be a mistake, but that's out of our hands

25. butchersapron

Are you sure that you really think only discussing things that have already happened is a sensible rule?

26. Biscuitician

What do you mean?

27. butchersapron

I refer to you apparently suggesting to Pickman's model as his ban hasn't yet been rescinded then there is no point in discussing the possibility of it happening - possibly with references to other permabans being rescinded or something like that. Then, implicitly asking how you think that sort of approach would work on a discussion forum such as this.

28. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Luther Blissett likes this.
  29. Biscuitician

I didn't say there was no point in discussing it. I said that there's nothing we can do about it if that's what Twitter decides. Either they rescind it or they don't. What else is there to say other than speculate on the probability of that happening. If you think it likley then that's your opinion, but so what? The substantive point is about a known hate speech advocate and a bigot with a well documented history of appalling behaviour finally being permabanned. What else is there to discuss?

If there's a more subtle point you are trying to make, then please make it

30. butchersapron

What do you mean so what? You're the one who started a celebratory thread about his banning (a risky move considering...as was bringing up gamergate) and so any possibility of it being rescinded is clearly relevant whether there is anything that you can do about it or not. You didn't make the original ban either but that didn't stop you starting a thread about it. And if you don't want discussion, why start a thread? Put it in announce.