Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, May 17, 2018.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Listening to this for the second time so far today. It's alright, isn't it?

2. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Yes.

kazza007 likes this.
  3. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

4. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

:cool:
    Best album ever

gentlegreen and Buddy Bradley like this.
  5. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

Beautiful album - and a fantastic entry point to Jazz.

gentlegreen likes this.
  6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Constant innovation from Miles. What an artist.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Glad you're enjoying it.

I don't know how much you know about Jazz but a lot of people use it as jumping off point to explore the Jazz of that era. All the players on it were at the top of their game. I suggest you try Cannonball Adderley's Somethin Else next. (He's alto Sax in Miles' band and Miles returns the favour by appearing on Somethin Else).

8. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

There's still a bit of snobbery about KoB from some of the jazz cognoscenti, but I think it's a good album. But, not as good as either Sketches of Spain or In A Silent Way (his best, in my opinion).

Sprocket. and Buddy Bradley like this.
  9. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Who are these so-called jazz cognoscenti?

Personally, I think it's both impossible and pointless to pick a 'best' Miles album. The three you've mentioned are not just good, they're absolute classics, as are many others.

May post more later on this...

10. danny la rouge

There's always going to be some people for whom the popularity of acclaimed music is going to be a problem.

11. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

I do remember that Ken Burns doc series on jazz relied on input from Wynton Marsalis who is quite dismissive of jazz fusion. Personally, I love a bit of the old Mahavishnu Orchestra...

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  12. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

I love Sketches of Spain but I recall a snobby comment on here about that too.

Sprocket. and danny la rouge like this.
  13. danny la rouge

I was inspired to make a play list as an introduction to the players on Kind of Blue. (I'm afraid I've not included Jimmy Cobb as his best work is actually on albums he isn't leader on. And it seemed weird to do that, IYSWIM. But he's still completely wonderful. And the only one still alive from the KoB session).

14. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

This has reminded me this album is probably one of my Desert Island Discs though I haven't listened to it for a while.
    It oozes effortless class...
    I played it to death when I first discovered it.
    I've never been a full-on "Jazzer" and came to the genre via Joni Mitchell's jazzy albums and John Mc Laughlin (Shakti then Mahavishnu), but it led me to buy several other Miles Albums like the ones mentioned up-thread.

It was recorded only shortly before I was born.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Sprocket. likes this.
  15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

a snobby comment? on here? are you quite sure?

souljacker likes this.
  16. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

My dad played it to death all through my childhood, that makes it even more special for me.

17. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

It's a great album, but I haven't felt the need to listen to it for as long as I can remember. Probably overplayed it in my youth I think.

gentlegreen likes this.
  18. danny la rouge

ska invita likes this.
  19. killer b

Hmm I love Sketches of Spain and B&P is a bellend, but I think it's ok not to like it. I don't think it's necessarily snobbery. It's all a bit hating the beatles is a hipster affectation really.

ska invita likes this.
  20. danny la rouge

I agree that it's fine not to like anything. It's a matter of taste. But I think you have to read the whole thread to get the full flavour of the wrongness involved here.

21. ska invita

I was only joking, I don't really think it's thats snobby round here

22. killer b

ah yes. I hadn't spotted that gentle-but-thorough schooling. :D

danny la rouge likes this.
  23. ska invita

24. danny la rouge

I'm enjoying my playlist. :D

25. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

It's a fantastic album.

Snobby jazz wankers need to fuck off and take some heroin and then write something as good.

hipipol likes this.
  26. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

I'm enjoying that too Danny. It's a nice selection.

And yep A Kind Of Blue was my first excursion into Jazz along with a Billie Holiday Best Of, both on cassette from the local library.
    I got a book from there too called Billies Blues, a great read, first half about her life second half focused on her music.

27. Sea Star

Sea Star FUCK OFF

This was the first jazz album i properly listened to about 25 years go - this and Miles Davis' Porgy and Bess.

And funnily enough, after several years of not having listened to it - I've had the CD in my car for about a month now. But I'm too scared to talk much about jazz because I always end up pissing off some one who knows far more about jazz than i ever will. :hmm:

28. danny la rouge

On here? Just go for it. In RL? Read this thread and you'll be fine (up to the early 30s anyway): Jazz history - all of it! The Thread

29. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

That thread needs an update! I know your entitled to spend your free time as you see fit danny but I need some welcome distraction from doing job applications.

Cheers for the Spotify mix btw! :cool:

30. Sea Star

Sea Star FUCK OFF

Actually I do really want to have a damned good natter about jazz - not so much about Miles Davis though - more about some of really interesting things I've been finding in my online searches - including Arabic and African jazz. Maybe I need to start my own thread.