Mike Ashley, Sports Direct and Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Not particularly but like a good deal.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, I thought it might be the kind of shop you'd like.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You were wrong, by the way. When I passed by it was very quiet.

4. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I don’t actually.
    But, if they are having a sale, then I would have a look.

Is that ok?

5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

How many of those are actually living here in properties they own/are paying off? Certainly before buying my first flat I was out spending my income, this changed quite drastically once I had a mortgage to pay. With the chance of buying property rapidly seeming like it will never become a reality for young people these days are they spending their disposable incoming on going out?

I can't think of anywhere within such close reach of Central London that isn't as expensive as Brixton, although having a 'vibrant nightlife and lifestyle' will certainly be an attraction to some people.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've no idea but within 500 metres of my home there's been an almighty surge in upmarket, high rise private housing: The Viaduct, Brixton Square, the former Guinness Trust and, arriving soon, The Edge, The Walton Laundry and the shit-ton of private housing on Somerleyton. And they're all getting snapped up.
    Brixton's nightlife has never been busier or more expensive*, so there clearly is a lot of young professionals with a lot of money to spend around town.

I see the class divide in Brixton getting bigger every month and it depresses the fuck out of me.

(*Yes, some places may have been comparatively more expensive in the 1880s)

sw16er likes this.
  7. shakespearegirl

Feels like Brixton is becoming a bit like the Clapham of the late 90s.

I'm not out in central Brixton that often in the evenings these days, but every time I do go out I'm surprised at how busy it is.

editor and Tricky Skills like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some midweek nights are far busier than the Saturday nights of only a few years ago. I've ever seen Brixton so busy (or so full of stale piss on Sundays).

9. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

That's the feeling I got last time me and the Mrs went out in Central Brixton of an evening.

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Must be a factor I’d have thought.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe, but the rents are sky high too, so they'd still need a shitload of dosh coming in to be able to live in the new lifestyle flats and go grazing in places like Pop Brixton and snuffle cocktails in the expensive on-trend joints like the Shrub & Shutter.

12. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

I had a look in there today, it's pricey and more expensive than some west end stores. Basic Armani jeans for £125, the same cut are £95 elsewhere. I'm not sure who they think will shop there. It's not hipster clobber, more a football lad get up.

sw16er and editor like this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They have totally ignored the masses here on Urban who have been campaigning for an Aldi for Brixton. Something to "tilt" the market back to normal instead of all this non-Green one season expensive clothing for posers.

BTW they have burglar-proof rotating blade security "toppings" on the car park ramp now. Do they think the yute are going to break in to steal their skinny jeans?

editor likes this.
  14. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

I popped in there the other week to have a nosey and it comes across a bit tacky to me. All bright lights and bling...but in a really dated tacky way.

I agree with you regarding it being pricey and expensive.

This store comes across to me as a "chancers opportunity". Open shiny new store in Central Brixton now it's all genteel, sell overpriced tacky clobber to the masses!

sealion likes this.
  15. shakespearegirl

I walked past on Friday night and the only person visible was a bored looking security guard. The clothes did look really tacky..

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's only there to make a few quid and add some branding before the horrendous luxury living development gets pushed through.

17. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

ED, Ah I have not been following this thread thoroughly. So this store will be replaced by luxury flats?

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

sw16er likes this.