Mike Ashley, Sports Direct and Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Must be some weird glitch because they've only had a million downloads which is really small fry compared to the big hitters.

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

If he gets his hands on Debenhams as well, maybe there will be a 'Mike Ashley' app, can you imagine, his face the icon, for all your cheap sports stuff, random perfumes, and overly expensive lingerie (yes he owns Agent provocateur too)

3. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

(I was thinking of JD sports!)

4. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Dislike how the firm buys up brands that go bust bust then sticks the names of these established brands on cheap products. Many people are none the wiser and prepared to pay more for these apparent higher quality items.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Yes. Agent provocateur stuff is now much worse. Website design has also changed and is more generic standard underwear but still with the inflated prices.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. ash

ash Inittogether

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You can see why Mike Ashley is involve though:
    Van Mildert was established in 1996 as a men's and women's fashion boutique in picturesque Durham City. Retailing from an old 17th century Gaol, the Grade 1 listed building on Elvet Bridge leads to the cathedral in the heart of the city. The store certainly has character and 'Bob' the 'tour guide' even used to bring the city's many daily visitors to marvel at the store, shocked by the retail space we had created. Van Mildert was certainly new and exciting, retailing in a space with so much character and history.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

One of the market traders pointed out to me that Ashley isn't regenerating underused retail units. All the businesses that Ashley kicked out were going concerns.

It's case of wealthy ruthless big business man crushing the small businesses that successfully operated on this site.

11. aka

aka Brixton Hill

on launch sportsdirect will immediately be jam packed with people buying stuff.

12. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. And the bosses' profits will fatten and his workers will still be treated like shit.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  14. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Well apparently the two shops opened last Thursday. Can't say they were jam-packed when I just had a look around. Can't say I really understand what market the Van Mildert side of things is going for, but that's probably because I'm out of touch. The most notable point is how absolutely enormous Sports Direct is - you keep thinking this must be the end but, no, there's more. And who know there were so many types of sports shoes.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's destroyed Pope's Road

2018-06-11_140621.jpg

16. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Are they doing an opening sale?

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Are you all excited? Can't wait to give money to a firm with warehouse working conditions that have been compared to the Victorian era?

18. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Not sure they need a sale do they? Everything's so cheap to begin with.

19. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Van Mildert certainly has an odd mix of brands on offer. Pretty high price points as well. I assumed by the size of the store it was going to be a pile them high sell them cheap kind of store.

20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What are the row of steel bollards for? Is it that they think people are going to drive cars into the shop to steal the merchandise or is it something else?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  21. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

They’ve been trying to move away from that model recently to become more premium. Companies like Adidas were threatening to stop supplying them because their stores were kips. Not sure if that is the exact reason though for the move upmarket.

If anybody is happy to pay a bit more for sports gear I’m not sure why they’d decide to do it in Sports Direct.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Given the fate of Footlocker, I'd say almost certainly the former. This stretch of Brixton looks awful now.

23. shakespearegirl

Van Mildert is separate to Sports Direct isn't it - if owned by the same group. They've kids trainers on their website for £410!! I'm not a parent but if I was I could never see myself paying that for that...

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ah yes, but that whole stretch of land they're sitting on is set to be gentrified to fuck, with the incomers quite likely to be able to afford such high prices. And then there's the expensive 'The Edge' yuppie flats on their way, followed by the monstrosity on the site of the Canterbury, and when the money haemorrhaging Pop Brixton finally goes off to small plates heaven, that chunk of land will also be welcoming the well off.

Sports Direct has the time and money to sit it out.

25. alcopop

I wouldn’t say I was excited but if I need a new pair of trainers and they are cheap then I would certainly go there.

I would have thought you would be happy that poor local people would have somewhere selling cheap gear?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's loads of outlets selling cheap trainers - and many of them have dubious practices too - but few have such an abysmal workers' rights records as Sports Direct. I certainly won't be sharing your apparent excitement at them opening up in Brixton and taking over a strip of independent stores.

ddraig likes this.
  27. shakespearegirl

I suspect they'll be paying off the huge mortgages on their overpriced flats rather than buying £410 kids trainers

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Surely that all depends on how wealthy they are? There already seems to be no shortage of people able to afford the higher priced cocktail bars, restaurants and fromage around Brixton - and the Ritzy always seems full of boycott-busting types happy to hand over £14 to see a film.

I see plenty of disposable cash slopping around town, and given the demographic shift and new upscale attractions I see no reason why Brixton won't prove attractive to the relatively well off and not just people battling with huge mortgages. There's plenty of more affordable places to live, so presumably a lot of people are coming here for the lifestyle.

29. alcopop

J
    im afraid you must be hallucinating. Certainly can’t see why you would think I was excited.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why did you post just to ask if they were doing an opening sale? Keen to get down there?