Mike Ashley, Sports Direct and Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. tripadvisah

tripadvisah Banned Banned

sealion and Slo-mo like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

tripadvisah and Slo-mo like this.
  3. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

It's low end designer stuff using inferior materials. Armani and Lacoste etc is available in jd sports , tk maxx but not what you get from there own flagship stores. Sports direct and alike just have buy a license to use the brand name. I doubt the hipsters and yuppies will want a snide looking prada man bag, if it's shit and made from cheap looking plastic.

4. tripadvisah

nope, thats not right. they have brands like stone island and maharishi, paul smith etc. some of the dkny and armani stuff might be diffusion ranges but it definielty isn't low end.

5. sealion

£120 for Armani jeans is low end. Some of the stuff looks okay but probably end of season, the same stuff you can get from Bicester village. The store may do well, but i doubt it will be because of the new types i now see in Brixton.

6. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I'd heard that stuff for places like Bicester was made under license but of lower quality. As for plastic, nylon is very now at Prada. See Menswear, MFW.

7. tripadvisah

Angellic likes this.
  8. tripadvisah

everybody sells end of season stuff. but Flannels also sells current season genuine stuff from pricey brands. i doesn't actually matter, but you are wrong. while wed like to say its cheapy old season stuff, it isn't. just stating a fact.. dont; care whether they do well or go out of business within six months. but a lot of it is high end designer stuff.

9. sealion

:thumbs:

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Any definite news on what's going to be built on the now-closed row of businesses on Pope's Road?

12. aka

aka Brixton Hill

CH1 likes this.
  13. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

most depressing comment of the day

14. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

A guy working on the site told me that most of it would be a large Sports Direct, but with a Flannels at the Brixton Village end.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yeah that fits in with what I heard. So with a shitty cod-luxury brand and scummy Sports Direct there, that's one part of Brixton I won't be visiting again in a hurry :(

16. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

I remember when kwick save supermarket used to be located there. cannot recall when they closed?

17. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

It was Tesco then Kwiksave. I think Kwiksave went bust.It was the cheapo supermarket of its day.

18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My memory of is that there had been a problem with stock disappearing out the back (with the connivance of the manager).
    Ended up in court. Also Somerfield took over Kwik Save. I seem to remember the Popes Road shop was briefly a Somerfield, then closed.

Maybe the Popes Road site didn't make enough profit in their weird configuration (there were sandwich and sliced meat concessions alongside coin-operated rocking-horse type entertainment for kids in the entrance lobby before you got into the supermarket proper).

Wikipedia gives some light - and suggests the shop may have closed in 2000/2001:
    In 1998 the company took over the rival Kwik Save in a £473 million transaction. Although the deal was billed as a merger of equals, Somerfield investors owned 62.5% of the enlarged group.[12]

Observers questioned whether putting together two very different businesses would solve either’s problems. The initial plan was to convert most of the Kwik Save stores to the Somerfield fascia, but the group continued to suffer from a disparate store portfolio, the result of numerous ill digested acquisitions by Kwik Save prior to the Somerfield takeover.[13]At the end of 1999 Simons, facing strong criticism from the City, announced plans to sell a third of the company’s 1,400 stores. He admitted that the group had underestimated the difference between Somerfield and Kwik Save, and had failed to support and maintain the Kwik Save brand, and a few months later Simons resigned.[13]

Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and donkyboy like this.
  20. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Sports Direct and USC Fashion.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and Angellic like this.
  22. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Did you see that although the application was received on 20th Feb, and validated on 12th March - the application status is shown as "Invalid"

Wonder what that means. Not enough detail in the drawings? (they don't seem to be proposing to change anything much).

Maybe the cheque bounced?

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's what it's going to look like :
    2018-03-14_010640.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm guessing that this is going to be a fairly short term thing before it's flattened to make way for some hideous luxury high rise development for maximum $$$.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. mrchristopher

mrchristopher Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure you're right. There is clearly an opportunity for development upwards and making routes through at the side to the arches, as in the Brixton Central masterplan. It's such a shame this in now in the hands of Mike Ashley. He is presumably assuming a bigger development will take years to get planning permission and build, so they can trade from the existing site until then.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

It's amazing how fast this development has been turned around when you compare to to something like the arches. Just shows how much network rail been dragging their feet.

I realize they are very different levels of work needed but this has taken a month or so while the arches is years in the making and it's hardly started.

Gramsci likes this.
  28. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Slightly OT, but right now the Sports Direct app is the second most downloaded app on the entire Google Play store, after Whatsapp.

It seems people can't get enough of Mike Ashley's crap.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.