Mike Ashley, Sports Direct and Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and Virtual Blue like this.
  2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

motherfucker

ohmyliver and Gramsci like this.
  4. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

So gutted by Pound Plus closing, I used them for everything.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I used to use the Pound Plus shop. Bought blinds there. It was useful shop as open Sundays. Was there last Sunday when they were finally closing. Didn't get impression they wanted to go. One of them said they had been there 17 years.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  6. Gramsci

Another thing. Remember the Council Brixton Central Masterplan consultation? Cllr Jack Hopkins telling people on his blog to turn up to these consultations if they wanted the local community to benefit from "regeneration" and not lose out? To stop moaning and work with Council to develop a Masterplan for this area ( including this site) .

The Network Rail and now Ashley eviction show how impotent the Council are.

I did point this out to an officer recently. He got irritated. Council couldn't stop landlords doing this. I did point out that wasn't made clear at the consultations. At the consultation locals were given impression that the Council could use the Masterplan as leverage on large land owners. That the Masterplan for central Brixton was building on the Brixton SPD. That planning could give local community a say.

The Council was of the impression that it could sit down with big landowners are deal with them. That is not how it works.

Council from what I have seen recently still are wedded to this approach. Even though it's not working.

Pickman's model and editor like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just to add that Casa Brixton are also getting booted out next weekend. Local Latin American culture and colour replaced by the vile corporate cash machine that is Sports fucking Direct.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

There does seem to be a general booted out of established community's that are no longer welcome/ fit into this new Brixton.

editor likes this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

It reminds me of when Thatcher got in and the police called all the shebeen operators down the police station and told them to pack up or get raided.

Subsequent to which we had operation swamp 81 in which the Brixton police commander was quoted in the media as saying people had no business to be out on the streets after 8 pm!

Watch out!

10. Gramsci

Ashley is also kicking out the Brixton Beach who use the roof. I wonder what the plans are?

To open a Sports Direct shop on the existing site wouldn't need to mean getting rid of the Brixton Beach.

If they are still serious about getting the covered markets perhaps some grander plan is being devised?

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Gramsci

If Ashley was just going to open a Sports Direct I would have thought the existing building is good enough.

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Brixton Beach will not be missed by most of those who live on Electic Avenue.

The shops on Popes road will be though. All 4 of those businesses provided something for many different community's and all walks of life.

The arches where the first, but now we have this without much opposition.

Where will it end....

Gramsci and editor like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Struggling to give much of a shit about Brixton Beach. I always saw them as part of the problem.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Given the size of the plot (as I remember), my assumption was that some of it would be let out to other retailers. Looked to big to be just Sports Direct.

Either way this doesn’t sound good.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. Gramsci

I agree. I was wondering exactly what Ashley is going to do with the site.

16. Crispy

Something with more floor space than single-story retail, I'd wager.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sports Direct Megastore. Zero hours contracts and underpaid staff in one big megadump.

Slo-mo likes this.
  18. Crispy

The Future Brixton masterplan had 10 storeys of residential on the site, so I'd expect something on that scale.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. It's going to be (a) massive, (b) fugly, (c) be a gated development and (d) contain no social housing and the absolute bare minimum of reluctantly granted 'affordable' housing.

Gramsci likes this.
  20. Gramsci

Cross my mind that getting rid of the Brixton Beach ( which I agree is to be unlamented) as well as shops is to get a cleared site for redevelopment.

Ashley property section still is looking at getting the covered markets.

What I've learnt from LJ is that developers think long term. Try to assemble sites from land in different ownership. If Ashley gets the markets could then do larger scheme involving Brixton Village.

This would fit in with the Master plan.

Does cross my mind if Ashley is already talking to Lambeth.

Mr Bim of Bar likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2018-01-19_214841.jpg

Goodbye PoundPlus :(

Gramsci likes this.
  22. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I would bet you are correct.....
    New Sports Direct property boss is ex-nightclub promoter

From what I read this new guy is set to find sites for the sports direct owned USC which is more of a "high end" fashion operation currently opening in mall type developments up north.....the focus is on "lifestyle" and incorporates leisure and even gyms, the nearest to us is in Oxford street, but there is more space here for the ful horror to unfold.
    Leeds engineering firm seals Sports Direct

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Casa Brixton closed for good last night.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

yer all gonna have to move init.

muscovyduck and pinkmonkey like this.
  27. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

They've all gone now. Called in to the small DIY place, opp Pop, to get a few things. Chap there said that they were safe for the time being...

Gramsci and editor like this.
  28. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

The chap in the Brixton DIY Centre wasn't so nice when I asked for refund for the the paint roller extending attachment purchased yesterday. Admittedly, I bought the cheapest one and the sheet metal at the end split yesterday. Said I must have used force. He offered to fix it with gaffer tape. Tried that, not a good solution. I offered to buy the superior model and pay the difference of £5.00. He said no. Yes, there's a lesson for buying cheap but I'll not darken their doorstep again.

29. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I'm not totally disagreeing but I'm surprised Sports Direct are in tune with the new Brixton either to be honest. They are pretty down-market to be fair.

SpamMisery likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wait to see the apartments he builds on the land. And even yuppies cant resist a sportswear bargain.

Slo-mo likes this.